5G Networks Pros & Cons - Discuss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My only immediate concern with 5G is how much more the monthly phone+ airtime contracts are now, as someone coming to the end of my current contract it's going to cost me a lot more in the future, or go for a lot lower spec phone. Decisions decisions.....

This is very true.

And it also applies to the invention of the mobile phone. And television. And aeroplanes. And cars. And firearms. And other inventions and discoveries all the way back to the sailboats of early mariners, the wheel, and fire.

This is what we humans do.

Yep, us humans must 'progress'. Can't stop it apparently.
One missed from your list was the absolute must of the race to split the atom.
The race was to have the greater power of destruction, more than others.
Some good has come of it, but even that has a massive downside until 'they' can design how to destroy the rods as fast as they can be spent.

More though, in the desire to split this thing 'they' didn't know the when or if the fission would stop.

Not that 'we' had any choice. Then or now.

Last edited:
Back to the topic guys...
I've mentioned it on another post and we all now the real world benefits of 5g.
I'm concerned with how 5g radiation is soaked up by vegatation/biologocal matter. Surely this MAY have some impact on our well being? Not enough solid research on this in my eyes. I've seen vids of trees dying in close proximity to 5g masts!
Also seperate point any obstacle more than 10cm wide blocks the signal and foliage on trees is a big barrier hence why trees are being chopped down.
I love nature more than 5g!
I for one definitely need to do more reading about 5G. To date I've not really paid much attention to it in detail, hence why I started this post. I'd really like to know more about the subject. Part of the issue is finding digestible material that is objective and impartial.

Videos of trees dying in close proximity of 5G masts while distressing, is not necessarily evidence of cause and effect. Trees die for various reasons, one of which may or may not be EMF from 5G mobile phone arrays. I would need to see more information before drawing a conclusion.

I agree we shouldn't be taking down trees in order to provide a 5G network.

Yep, us humans must 'progress'. Can't stop it apparently.
One missed from your list was the absolute must of the race to split the atom.
The race was to have the greater power of destruction, more than others.
Some good has come of it, but even that has a massive downside until 'they' can design how to destroy the rods as fast as they can be spent.

More though, in the desire to split this thing 'they' didn't know the when or if the fission would stop.

Not that 'we' had any choice. Then or now.
Not sure that 'splitting the atom' was motivated by the search for 'infinite' supplies of energy or the wish to develop a more destructive bomb. I thought it was the former, at least in the first instance and that recognising the potential for a bomb came a bit later.

Im the sceptable kind to such extent ive contimplated crack pots injecting poison in trees and then shooting videos to negetivley harm 5g. Even tress getting disease and dying naturally.

But 5g killing trees videos are out there and real. Plenty of vids demonstrating wifi radiation affecting plant growth.
Do we have no mechanism to test if 5g/wifi radiation can kill/harm vegetation?

Not sure that 'splitting the atom' was motivated by the search for 'infinite' supplies of energy or the wish to develop a more destructive bomb. I thought it was the former, at least in the first instance and that recognising the potential for a bomb came a bit later.

Maybe it's just that I've seen a fair number of documentaries that showed the race in the WWII to be toward getting that advantage over t'other side. For Sure the USA, in part with 'additional' technology gained through Yalta negotiations, used it for that purpose.
I'm more than happy to learn otherwise about previous 'to that' desires.

Even the progress of GPS we are all so familiar with was developed by the USA military for their purposes, and then given to the world to encourage a more cost effective, for them, development of it. I believe at least.

You may be right on the nuclear thing, I don't know the details. I know the first nuclear pile was constructed in a squash court. Don't know what the overall objectives were at the time.

I also think it was the use of GPS technology in missile guidance systems that reduced first-strike survivability, thereby bringing about the end of the Cold War. So not all bad.

'Aint it a shame we must live under the rule of our Gov't's that 'must' have enough power to obliterate a perceived enemy, or two, to ensure they won't attempt to obliterate us first.

So, similar to the USA 'demonstrating' their superior power on Japan, if / when one super power creates the greater advantage that would result in a far better outcome for themselves than they must use it before the other lot can equalise the position.
(Oh cr*p that's a cue for the Covid-19 conspiracists).

Russia say that they now have a missile capability that is so fast it will strike before they've launched it.
The USA must then develop a missile that will strike yesterday. (I'll let you think about that, 'cos it would be ironic if they did).

The super powers that are now increasingly likely to increase their efforts to defend the Covid-19 attack may well weaken their defence capability against foreign powers as a result. A foreign power not suffering the internal devastation might gain a significant advantage.
This isn't designed to be a new con' theory, just a bit of tinkin' aloud.

Btw, our Vlad has 2 of those 'i's. Donald Trump has none, and he does seem to be blind to so many things.

You may be right on the nuclear thing, I don't know the details. I know the first nuclear pile was constructed in a squash court. Don't know what the overall objectives were at the time.
Chicago Pile-1- the first man made nuclear chain reaction. Research alledgedly prompted in response to NAZI Germany developing a nuclear weapon?
Chicago Pile-1 - Wikipedia

Last edited:
The problem with the interaction of biological systems and technology is often that the effects of any harm are not immediately obvious, taking time to manifest themselves. Biological systems are adaptable by nature and may successfully compensate for damage for many years till at some point they are overwhelmed and causality established. Its unfortunate that people associate "radiation damage" with the harmful effects of ionising radation which are often fairly immediate witness Hiroshima and Chernobyl and that makes the concept of long term damage from lower prolonged levels of exposure more easily believed.
Putting it another way asking a telecommunications company if they have done the experiment whereby they subjected a large cross section of a city population to prolonged daily low levels of 5g radiation for 20 years their answer is inevitably going to be Not Yet! :rolleyes:

as a slight aside:_
Forest fires around Chernobyl push radiation levels to 16 times normal levels

^^ Yep, and part of the problem is that if they live long enough, most mammals develop cancers of some form or other. Proving cause and effect of low-levels of EMF exposure as compared to other potential sources of ill health comes down to experimental design and statistics, and we all know there's many a tale possible via the use of statistics.

My only immediate concern with 5G is how much more the monthly phone+ airtime contracts are now, as someone coming to the end of my current contract it's going to cost me a lot more in the future, or go for a lot lower spec phone. Decisions decisions.....
This is a bit like my Virgin Media contract, it's gone up every year as the broadband speeds increase but I haven't seen any difference between 50mb that I started with and 200mb that I am on now. Bundling services is how they make you pay more for no benefit

Ours recently changed from about 10Mb/s up 20Mb/s down to 17 up 67 down. Latency can be anywhere between 20-50mS and is unchanged. 20mS is OK for Tank Blitz, 50mS not so good.

Quite noticeable for some stuff (FaceTime, Amazon Prime, Sky downloads, YouTube), makes no difference to normal web browsing.

Also Openreach are in the process of installing Fibre to Home in our village, so will be interesting to see what happens then, especially on latency.

Last edited:
They user burner phones and discard them after use. I saw that on TV :)
My kids broke their first ever smart phones..it's what kids do when handed an overpriced piece of fragile glass apparently.
They both were given £10 burners to use for a while (that came with £10 credit !) . All the school friends of my eldest were asking him if he was 'dealing'...nice.

This clip is 5 years old.

It highlights my point that the issue of the potential health risks from radiation in the electromagnetic spectrum has been debated and studied for many years now.

It also demonstrates how a scientific argument can be well presented by a professional researcher, with supported evidence from accredited sources (as opposed to ex-footballers...).

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

(It's one hour long)

My kids broke their first ever smart phones..it's what kids do when handed an overpriced piece of fragile glass apparently.

Ours get through theirs at a rate of knots. Part of the problem is well-meaning grandparents who provide them with expensive handsets on demand, so they have zero appreciation of the value. My older step-son went to the pub with his dad (aged about 17) and left his brand new top spec. Samsung on the table when he went into the garden to play football. When he came back it was gone - fancy that :doh: They also take off any cover because it's not cool, and of course people can't see so easily that they have the latest & greatest phone. So any kind of drop usually results in a broken screen.

Ours get through theirs at a rate of knots. Part of the problem is well-meaning grandparents who provide them with expensive handsets on demand, so they have zero appreciation of the value. My older step-son went to the pub with his dad (aged about 17) and left his brand new top spec. Samsung on the table when he went into the garden to play football. When he came back it was gone - fancy that :doh: They also take off any cover because it's not cool, and of course people can't see so easily that they have the latest & greatest phone. So any kind of drop usually results in a broken screen.
I think having a broken screen is seen as some sort of 'badge of honour'. The more expensive the phone the better. As you say it's all about being 'cool'... :doh:

This clip is 5 years old.

It highlights my point that the issue of the potential health risks from radiation in the electromagnetic spectrum has been debated and studied for many years now.

It also demonstrates how a scientific argument can be well presented by a professional researcher, with supported evidence from accredited sources (as opposed to ex-footballers...).

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

(It's one hour long)
Given that various studies give a range of results, it's probably not too difficult to choose a position and then find studies that support the argument.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom