60mph pheasant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JumboBeef

Car
W124 E220 Estate Auto
What happens when you hit a pheasant at 60mph in a W124?

You end up with a hole in your front bumper :( I'm now missing a chunk of o/s/f corner of the bumper :crazy:

Mind you, you should have seen the pheasant :p

I hope you didn't stop and pick up the pheasant;)

At least it hit the bumper and not your windscreen.

I hit one at about the same speed in my disco some years ago. This one hit the windscreen - I really dont know what happenned, but my guess is that someone shot it, and it dropped out of the sky - just like a horror film!
Anyway, it trashed the wiper mechanism (sheared off the spindle), but amazingly caused no other damage other than pheasant guts all over the wipers - it even bounced off so I couldn't have him for dinner!

Managed to repair the wiper spindle by brazing it.

Had one go right through the grill of my Ford CAPRI at about 70 MPH and trash the radiator. The engine compartment was not a pretty sight! Minced pheasant sums it up.

I've been offered a new (s/hand) bumper, but it is blue. How hard would it be for me to spray it (at home) to silver?

Thanks.

It should be relatively simple to respray the bumper especially if its removed from the car. If your car is Brilliant Silver 744 the bumper will be Atlas Grey 181

Thanks.

How hard is it to remove/replace the bumper?

2 brackets at the outer ends- small rusty bolts. item 71 2x2 sets of larger nuts/ closer to the centre usually quite clean. Mark the positions of the large washers with felt tip pen to help refitting. Its an easy job for 2 people one person to undo and one to stop the bumper falling on the ground/ or help replace- can be done on your own though.Êàòàëîã
once the entire bumper assembly is off you can remove the front bumper rail item 44 if that's the the only bit that's broken. save respraying the larger assembly?

2 brackets at the outer ends- small rusty bolts...

Hey, speak for yourself... :D

...once the entire bumper assembly is off you can remove the front bumper rail item 44 if that's the the only bit that's broken. save respraying the larger assembly?

Grober, as usual, spot on.

I would just add, the likelihood is the bumper will stay put, hanging onto the brackets, when the bolts are removed.

Whatever requires replacement/repainting, dismantle the entire assembly anyway for cleaning and a good finish. As with everything else on a 124, it's comes apart easily and obviously.

I lost the towing eye cover a couple of years ago when I struck a deer in France. No other damage but the replacement was £28 :( - outrageous!

Thanks for the replies. This is the damage :(

bumper.jpg

Hit one in a Rover Sterling at about 70, when we stopped to have a look later there was an.. unhappy looking pheasant head hanging from the smashed fog light lens...

hit a badger in my rs4 a year ago over 2k of damage front o/s wing (alluminium) bumper,grill and oil cooler.It was like hitting a wall.

I was driving late at night going down a long straight road with only one car in front of me...i was doing about 70, the car in front slowed to an almost stop!!! baffled, i indicated to overtake the slowing vehcle...just as i got level with it their was an almighty bang!!!! The guy had slowed to let a pheasant cross the road and i came along and steam-rollered it!!!! company car was looking very sad....didn't see much left of the pheasy...:D
I bet thye guy thinks twice before trying to save animals in future..:ban:

My wife hit a pheasant whilst travelling at 60 mph. The pheasant was also doing about 60mph in the opposite direction. It struck in the drivers head position, impacted in to the interior, left a half football sized indentation into the screen, and bent the roof lip where the windscreen was bonded.

The interior was covered in glass, but the laminated screen held together in one piece, just. The car was brought to a quick stop whilst the driver had ducked down. Fortunately the car remained on the road otherwise things could have been far worse.

hit a badger in my rs4 a year ago over 2k of damage front o/s wing (alluminium) bumper,grill and oil cooler.It was like hitting a wall.
Try £3300 for hitting a badger at 70 in a passat!

How about a complete write off for hitting a flock of sheep in an BMW 325i on the A70 in Scotland, there was not a straight panel on the car or a window left intact, plenty of Sheep Sh*t though :D

How about a complete write off for hitting a flock of sheep in an BMW 325i on the A70 in Scotland, there was not a straight panel on the car or a window left intact, plenty of Sheep Sh*t though :D
BAAAA-DY HELL i bet there was!

I asked at a main dealer today about paint: they said I would need one litre and the cost if I got if from them would be £120!

Can I get paint elsewhere?: is somewhere like Halfurds likely to sell it?

(I'm not looking for a concourse finish on a 15 year old, 190,000 mile car but something between acceptable and decent will do....)

I asked at a main dealer today about paint: they said I would need one litre and the cost if I got if from them would be £120!

Can I get paint elsewhere?: is somewhere like Halfurds likely to sell it?

(I'm not looking for a concourse finish on a 15 year old, 190,000 mile car but something between acceptable and decent will do....)

Halfords will mix up paint to the spec of the paint code on the VIN plate.

They seem to be quite busy doing it in our local branch and its a brand name product (but I have never tried it!).

I took one out in a 3 series a few years back. The grill was messy, the bird was totally trashed into mincemeat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom