722.6 trans jerks in 3rd gear when cold

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subarkata

Car
S211 OM642 ; S203 OM612
Hello, new here. I have a W211 with the 722.6 trans and it started jerking when in 3rd gear when the weather got cold. It does it only when cold and only in 3rd gear. Shifts between gears are ok but when in 3rd it starts jerking as if you haven't given enough throttle input when releasing the clutch on a manual trans car. If it was the torque converter or the lock up solenoid it should be doing it at any gear, right? Any suggestions what could that be, and if this can be diagnosed with the proper MB diagnostic software are welcome.

Have you checked the ATF level & when it was last changed?

Fluid was changed year ago, is still the right color and is up to level.

Checked on level surface both hot and cold.
I think if it was trans fluid it will do it in every gear and there will be delay in pickup, not a jerking in particular gear.

Does it sort itself out if you put your foot down quite a bit harder? Could be the conductor plate, or the oil seal on the multi plug?

Yes it does. The same when the oil gets hot. The problem is disappearing at 95%.

It does sound like the conductor plate, starts with one gear but gradually gets worse. I wasn’t able to find anything on my launch diagnostic, but maybe other types will show something. I did get it put on star at my local Mercedes dealership but that showed nothing. But tbh they can’t even be trusted to tighten wheels properly there.

Just thinking, there is another known fault where the oil cooler can leak coolant into the gearbox, might be worth getting that checked if you can

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom