A car for my son

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Clkrichard

Car
2011 CLC 220cdi 2004 CLK 320 cabriolet, R230 SL500, A class Sport AMG now arrived.
A friend has just offered me his wifes 2006 Clio 1.2 for £1250 and needless to say I bit his arm off ! One owner, full Renault service history, £400 last week including MOT. 40k miles. Its absolutely basic but at that price who cares ?
I dont know anything about Clios - any pointers ? Do they all have aircon ? When will it need a cambelt ?
I will now explore insurance and no I will not be " fronting " !
I will possibly just go TPFT as not much damage would write it off anyway. It depends really on the cost difference with fully comp and excesses. If its too costly I will look at insuring in my name until he passes his test but I know he wont earn NCD that way. The car should retail around £2500 so I will insure for that.
Any learned views from the forum ?

I had a 1.2 Renault 5 as a student, I assume a precurser to the Clio.

AC? Your having a laugh! Very much doubt it. Again, going on memory, the engine was Chain driven.

I think the wisdom is good cars often let down by the electrics. A base model is a win here....

If you insure with Direct Line your son would earn NCD as a named driver on your policy, but only DL would recognise it as such. We did this with our two sons and combined with their multi car discount it made a huge difference when they came to buy insurance in their own names.
From memory they paid around £600 fully comp when internet searches were typically coming up with £1500-£2000.

All bar the basic spec ones should have AC. There will be virtually no difference in price between comprehensive and TPFT. Its the damage they do to others that cause the payouts not the damage to their own vehicle. The Clio does not have the greatest reputation for reliability but well maintained with a full history it should be fine with a bit of luck.
Direct line are usually pretty competitive for youngsters insuring in their own name - at least for our 2 they were by far the least expensive.

Agree with GP801 about the TPF&T versus Fully comp. I tried that once, and the following year the quote was CHEAPER for fully comp than TPF&T.

Oh, and what did your poor son do to you to justify a Clio? Poor lad :(

The trouble with forums is that people mostly only post negatives. Rarely does anyone go on to say how great their car is. My CLK has been fantastic in every respect but this is the first time I have said that on here.
My friend has had absolutely no problems with the car and if you go by forum comments no one would ever buy any car including an MB.
I appreciate the input but for £1250 it was worth a punt.

It appears to have a cam belt changeable at 6 years or 72k miles so I need to see if it has been done

Quick google search says 72k or 5 years whichever comes first for cambelt. Check if it has been done.

Edit: Hadnt refreshed before posting, I see you have found the info too.

I had a 1.2 Renault 5 as a student, I assume a precurser to the Clio.

AC? Your having a laugh! Very much doubt it. Again, going on memory, the engine was Chain driven.

I think the wisdom is good cars often let down by the electrics. A base model is a win here....

Every one I have looked at on Pistonheads and Autotrader has aircon ....... Mine is uber basic though and even has manual windows so lets see ?
It has a belt not a chain so that needs investigating.

Every one I have looked at on Pistonheads and Autotrader has aircon ....... Mine is uber basic though and even has manual windows so lets see ?
It has a belt not a chain so that needs investigating.

It may have changed. My knowledge is dated....

I'd be surprised if a basic model has AC, but I'm often surprised.

My brother had an older Clio that he abused for years and just kept going. Used to eat wheel bearings, but that's because he likes to go around corners on two wheels...

Some friend selling you a car for your son knowing it needs a cam belt!:thumb:

Tony.

My friend wouldnt even know what a cam belt is ! He will however have only ever taken it to a Renault dealer so it has probably been changed already. It certainly wasnt on last weeks service invoice so I am pretty confident it has been done. He is my best friend and wouldnt do that to me knowingly.

Hi,

I bought my 18 year old daughter a 1.2 03 plate Polo a few months back and she has started her own policy that we looked into for £1200 fully comp with Aviva....

G

From experience, let your son insure the car in his own name, but either your wife or you as a named driver will reduce the premium. It will still be eyewatering though:(

Hi,

I bought my 18 year old daughter a 1.2 03 plate Polo a few months back and she has started her own policy that we looked into for £1200 fully comp with Aviva....

G

Thanks. I am not clear on whether or not unisex rates now apply but boys used to cost multiples of girls rates.

A friend has just offered me his wifes 2006 Clio 1.2 for £1250 and needless to say I bit his arm off ! One owner, full Renault service history, £400 last week including MOT. 40k miles. Its absolutely basic but at that price who cares ?
I dont know anything about Clios - any pointers ? Do they all have aircon ? When will it need a cambelt ?
I will now explore insurance and no I will not be " fronting " !
I will possibly just go TPFT as not much damage would write it off anyway. It depends really on the cost difference with fully comp and excesses. If its too costly I will look at insuring in my name until he passes his test but I know he wont earn NCD that way. The car should retail around £2500 so I will insure for that.
Any learned views from the forum ?
Hi,
If you need any help with insurance please feel free to drop me a line at Adrian Flux. We have a number of schemes for younger drivers.
Regards,
Dan

Comp insurance can prove to be cheaper, though the reality is it will have a large excess on the policy which almost "reduces" the level of cover to TPFT...but then if its cheaper....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom