• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

A class rear view camera constantly opening at slow speed

Just to add to this, the camera does not come out to look for parking spaces as someone was told, that's just another dealer refusing to fix the fault.

Maybe the dealer doesn't have a fix because MB haven't worked one out?

I would think the camera could be coded out, which would be easy enough to do, but unless you use it only rarely that's obviously not a satisfactory solution.

Yeah, it's a daft situation where the camera flap has to be open, then drive along for along for a few hundred metres in a completely straight line just under 15mph. Absolutely ridiculous!

If you can't achieve this requirement and you're driving through town, floating between 15mph and 25mph, then it'll be clicking all over the place!

Happy to chip in to a bulk letter to the car mags. This is surely something that can be tweaked with a software update.
You've expressed your concerns to Mercedes-Benz regarding the camera calibration process, but haven't received a further response. It's possible that they may not prioritize updates for petrol cars due to the shift towards electric vehicles. You can consider pressing them for a response or exploring potential solutions with local mechanics or third-party experts if the issue remains unresolved.

Just to add to this, the camera does not come out to look for parking spaces as someone was told, that's just another dealer refusing to fix the fault.
It's essential to clarify the function of the camera with accurate information. If the camera is not intended to search for parking spaces, and you believe there's a genuine fault, you should continue to seek clarification and resolution from Mercedes-Benz or consider consulting with an independent mechanic or automotive expert who can diagnose and address the issue more effectively.

It's essential to clarify the function of the camera with accurate information. If the camera is not intended to search for parking spaces, and you believe there's a genuine fault, you should continue to seek clarification and resolution from Mercedes-Benz or consider consulting with an independent mechanic or automotive expert who can diagnose and address the issue more effectively.
The function of the camera is irrelevant to this fault. The problem is when the camera decides it need to re calibrate, and then goes into a cycle of recalibration where it never completes the process and keeps trying to do it for months on end. There must be a bug in the software causing this that a dealer will never be able to fix. Mine eventually stopped doing it itself, after many weeks of trying to get it to complete the recalibration in empty industrial estates I gave up, and some time later it just stopped doing it.

The function of the camera is irrelevant to this fault. The problem is when the camera decides it need to re calibrate, and then goes into a cycle of recalibration where it never completes the process and keeps trying to do it for months on end. There must be a bug in the software causing this that a dealer will never be able to fix. Mine eventually stopped doing it itself, after many weeks of trying to get it to complete the recalibration in empty industrial estates I gave up, and some time later it just stopped doing it.

...or fixed with the next firmware update ;)

Another owner being driven nuts by this. My previous A200 didn't do it so god knows why this one is doing it. Also been fobbed off with the calibration excuse but I don't see how that can be right when it's doing it countless times a day

Another owner being driven nuts by this. My previous A200 didn't do it so god knows why this one is doing it. Also been fobbed off with the calibration excuse but I don't see how that can be right when it's doing it countless times a day

Welcome Charger21.

Also been fobbed off with the calibration excuse but I don't see how that can be right when it's doing it countless times a day
Because it's a software glitch, the calibration is not completing within the expected timeframe so it keeps starting the calibration sequence over and over, until one day, it will finally complete the sequence and go back to normal. Well, only until it decides it needs to recalibrate all over again!

I have received a response from MB concerning this, as noted above in this thread, and they have advised that the camera has now been programmed to calibrate itself every time the car is started. It is not trying to complete a one off calibration and continually failing as noted elsewhere in this thread. MB insist that this is not a fault simply how the camera is programmed to operate. They seen uninterested in understanding that its customers might find this noisy, and in my opinion, uneccessry mode of operation irritating and are therefore not interested in doing anything about it. I have written to them again asking them to explain why it was deemed necessary to alter the operation of the camera in this way but they have so far not bothered to reply, which confirms my view that they are just not interested in dealing with this. I am at a loss as to what, if anything, can be done about this.

I have received a response from MB concerning this, as noted above in this thread, and they have advised that the camera has now been programmed to calibrate itself every time the car is started. It is not trying to complete a one off calibration and continually failing as noted elsewhere in this thread. MB insist that this is not a fault simply how the camera is programmed to operate. They seen uninterested in understanding that its customers might find this noisy, and in my opinion, uneccessry mode of operation irritating and are therefore not interested in doing anything about it. I have written to them again asking them to explain why it was deemed necessary to alter the operation of the camera in this way but they have so far not bothered to reply, which confirms my view that they are just not interested in dealing with this. I am at a loss as to what, if anything, can be done about this.
Mercedes response to you is absolute garbage. No way is a camera system designed to calibrate every time the car is started, and even if it was, why is still trying to calibrate 20 minutes down the road every time you stop at the lights and start off again?

Mercedes response to you is absolute garbage. No way is a camera system designed to calibrate every time the car is started, and even if it was, why is still trying to calibrate 20 minutes down the road every time you stop at the lights and start off again?
Although I agree with you that this is unacceptable it does seem as if it has been designed to operate in this way, otherwise why would all new A class be doing this? It may be, however, that MB have got the software design wrong and are reluctant to admit it.

My guess is that there are driver aids that use this camera and the new calibration process allow it to work to tighter tolerances (e.g. park the car in a smaller spot?). But this is just a guess, to explain why this new behaviour of the rear camera didn't exist on previous models.

If it's been designed to be out as much as this being calibrated then why not just save more money and have a fixed exterior camera. It just doesn't make any sense other than it being some sort of error.

My guess is that there are driver aids that use this camera and the new calibration process allow it to work to tighter tolerances (e.g. park the car in a smaller spot?). But this is just a guess, to explain why this new behaviour of the rear camera didn't exist on previous models.
The only thing I could think of was the parking assist function which automatically starts looking for suitable parking spaces below a set speed and maybe the camera was linked to this but this function was available on the previous version of the A class and that doesn’t go through a calibration sequence every time the car is started so I can’t see why it would be that. No logical reason for it that I can see. Coincidently, I had another issue with the wipers which stopped working completely until the car reached around 10mph then they would start up. This was fixed by MB with a replacement ECU and the problem went away. Just goes to show you though how tricky cars are nowadays with all of these computer chips controlling everything - one of them is bound to fail at some point. In the case of the camera calibration issue it does not seem to be a failure but just the way the car has been programmed. The problem is getting MB to accept that this is a problem for customers and sort out a fix. I have asked them to explain their logic behind this but no reply so far - I must chase them up again.

Just with you saying how tricky cars are getting. My last a200 needed a new battery. I was quite happy to buy one and fit it myself.......until I opened the bonnet and looked at it. Even the simplest of jobs are beyond the home mechanic now

The only thing I could think of was the parking assist function which automatically starts looking for suitable parking spaces below a set speed and maybe the camera was linked to this but this function was available on the previous version of the A class and that doesn’t go through a calibration sequence every time the car is started so I can’t see why it would be that. No logical reason for it that I can see. Coincidently, I had another issue with the wipers which stopped working completely until the car reached around 10mph then they would start up. This was fixed by MB with a replacement ECU and the problem went away. Just goes to show you though how tricky cars are nowadays with all of these computer chips controlling everything - one of them is bound to fail at some point. In the case of the camera calibration issue it does not seem to be a failure but just the way the car has been programmed. The problem is getting MB to accept that this is a problem for customers and sort out a fix. I have asked them to explain their logic behind this but no reply so far - I must chase them up again.

My guess was - again, just a guess - that this feature now has tighter tolerances. For example, the parking sensors of old coul only detect and park the car in very large spots, perhaps with the aid of a calibrated camera the car can now detect and park in tighter spots. Just a thought.

My guess was - again, just a guess - that this feature now has tighter tolerances. For example, the parking sensors of old coul only detect and park the car in very large spots, perhaps with the aid of a calibrated camera the car can now detect and park in tighter spots. Just a thought.
My understanding is the parking system doesn't use the camera other showing on the screen. It's solely the sensors that sense the size of parking space. Even if that were the case the constant calibration doesn't make any sense

My understanding is the parking system doesn't use the camera other showing on the screen. It's solely the sensors that sense the size of parking space. Even if that were the case the constant calibration doesn't make any sense

Do you have parking guidance lines? Maybe they need the calibration for better accuracy?

Do you have parking guidance lines? Maybe they need the calibration for better accuracy?
I think the parking system is a red herring, on both of mine, the camera does not come out when parking and no guidance lines are shown on the screen. Only the sensors on front and rear bumpers are used to park.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom