• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

A class rear view camera constantly opening at slow speed

The forced calibration process you are attempting will not work on the A class - I have tried. This process works on cars where the camera very occasionally starts the calibration process but, for some reason, won’t complete it. I have been advised by MB that the A class has been designed for the camera to go through a calibration process every single time the car is started and that there is nothing that can be done about it - it is not a fault. It might not be a fault as far as MB is concerned if, as they say, it has been designed this way but it most definitely is a fault as far as owners are concerned as it is unnecessarily noisy and annoying. I have been unable to get MB to advise why this calibration process is deemed necessary as they are not replying to me. They did reply simply to say it’s what they all do now and it’s not a fault but no further explanation forthcoming. Power show from MB.
Oh wow, so I have to live with that sound from now on until I give the car back.Its frustrating because it could hide some other issues that the car might have in the future, lets say back brakes, and you wont notice because you would think that its the camera again.

Oh wow, so I have to live with that sound from now on until I give the car back.Its frustrating because it could hide some other issues that the car might have in the future, lets say back brakes, and you wont notice because you would think that its the camera again.
On my A class the camera opens and closes each time I start the car and does it about four times then stops doing it until I stop the car and start it again. I have tried the forced calibration by driving slowly for about 100m or so and that does make the camera retract and it wont do it any more on that trip however, as you can imagine, it is a bit of a faff having to do that and it is rarely possible in any case due to traffic coming up behind. Spoils what is otherwise a fantastic car.

On my A class the camera opens and closes each time I start the car and does it about four times then stops doing it until I stop the car and start it again. I have tried the forced calibration by driving slowly for about 100m or so and that does make the camera retract and it wont do it any more on that trip however, as you can imagine, it is a bit of a faff having to do that and it is rarely possible in any case due to traffic coming up behind. Spoils what is otherwise a fantastic car.
Yes, you are right.Its a nice looking car and at the first glance seemed very silent and comfortable, but with this feature it ruins a bit the experience of driving a MB.Maybe in the future it will be some kind of an update or maybe poss to shut it off for good and only activate it when need it.

Yes, you are right.Its a nice looking car and at the first glance seemed very silent and comfortable, but with this feature it ruins a bit the experience of driving a MB.Maybe in the future it will be some kind of an update or maybe poss to shut it off for good and only activate it when need it.
When I test drove the A class I had the option to drive a previous A180 or a new A200. I chose to drive the older A180 as I was more interested in how it drove with the less powerful engine. I thought it would be enough for me but wanted to double check and it was fine so I ordered one. I could see the new model in the showroom and was happy at how it all looked and worked. I wonder if I would have bought the car if I had driven the newer model and noticed the camera noise. Pretty sure I would have noticed the camera as I noticed it on the way home from the showroom and called them immediately.

When I test drove the A class I had the option to drive a previous A180 or a new A200. I chose to drive the older A180 as I was more interested in how it drove with the less powerful engine. I thought it would be enough for me but wanted to double check and it was fine so I ordered one. I could see the new model in the showroom and was happy at how it all looked and worked. I wonder if I would have bought the car if I had driven the newer model and noticed the camera noise. Pretty sure I would have noticed the camera as I noticed it on the way home from the showroom and called them immediately.
Before this 73 plate that i have now, i had a 21 plate but that one was starting to develop some gearbox problem, was trembling when changing gears from 3rd to 2nd to 1st.Had the car for a few times at the MB dealership and every time they were saying that there is no error to check and that the car is fine, but i could still feel the judger in the gearbox.Anyway, I was really happy to change 21 plate with the 73 one, but than I found out about this camera calibration situation and mostly that its not going away after calibrations and I am starting to loose my interest in MB.

Same here, I drove the previous model during my test drive, but naturally went for the newer model when it came to purchase.

My query has been passed over to the Mercedes rep, but alas I'm not expecting anything positive to come back from it.

As mentioned above, this problem really has knocked my desire to continue driving Mercedes cars in the future. That's not a dramatic online post for attention, but I genuinely will never purchase a car that performs this absolutely ridiculous function every time the car starts. If the car really has to do this (which I'm sure it doesn't), then make the bloody mechanism silent!

I'm not sure if anyone has noticed, but the 'fix' to 'calibrate' the camera doesn't seem to work in the dark, so with the nights drawing in it's going to be difficult to force the calibration. My god, the end of my agreement cannot come soon enough! Sadly, I only bought the car in July!

Same here, I drove the previous model during my test drive, but naturally went for the newer model when it came to purchase.

My query has been passed over to the Mercedes rep, but alas I'm not expecting anything positive to come back from it.

As mentioned above, this problem really has knocked my desire to continue driving Mercedes cars in the future. That's not a dramatic online post for attention, but I genuinely will never purchase a car that performs this absolutely ridiculous function every time the car starts. If the car really has to do this (which I'm sure it doesn't), then make the bloody mechanism silent!

I'm not sure if anyone has noticed, but the 'fix' to 'calibrate' the camera doesn't seem to work in the dark, so with the nights drawing in it's going to be difficult to force the calibration. My god, the end of my agreement cannot come soon enough! Sadly, I only bought the car in July!
I just positioned the volume of the sound system to be lounder on the back, it helps a bit.

I've left comments on a couple of A Class reviews, any one else want to chip in?! -

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've left comments on a couple of A Class reviews, any one else want to chip in?! -

I have also left comments on these reviews plus one by Nick O’Leary. He is the only one so far to pick up on it and I posted above his take on it which is that the camera is opening in readiness for selecting reverse. I don’t buy this as on my car it only does it about four times then stops plus MB have advised me in writing that the camera is calibrating, not getting ready for a possible. reverse selection. I can’t see any logical reason for the camera constantly calibrating and MB has so far ignored my request for an explanation. Frustrating.

I have also left comments on these reviews plus one by Nick O’Leary. He is the only one so far to pick up on it and I posted above his take on it which is that the camera is opening in readiness for selecting reverse. I don’t buy this as on my car it only does it about four times then stops plus MB have advised me in writing that the camera is calibrating, not getting ready for a possible. reverse selection. I can’t see any logical reason for the camera constantly calibrating and MB has so far ignored my request for an explanation. Frustrating.
Yeah, I spotted your comment and his response.

It's all absolute nonsense. I've chatted to a couple of service techy guys at other garages and they see no logical reason why it should be doing what it's doing.

Sadly, I think we all just have to acknowledge that Mercedes mucked up with some kind of software tweak on this A Class and have absolutely no desire to correct it.

Your absolutely right it cannot recalibrate in the dark mine takes about 15 seconds to recalibrate in the daylight which I’m ok with but you can drive around forever in the dark and it just can’t do it.

I know I have complained about the camera on the A class but in its defence the fuel economy I get is fantastic. The average since I bought it in April is 52mpg but on a 200 mile run down the A68 from Scotland today I got 66mpg. I never got that much out of diesel cars I have owned. The manufacturers stated average is 48mpg.

Had to take my A class into MB again to have a faulty horn fixed. Not fixed as a new control unit is required so that will be yet another visit! I asked if they had any update on the camera issue and was told that the calibration requirement is to meet new regulations. No idea what these regulations are or what they are related to - sounds like nonsense to me. There is clearly no way MB is going to address this issue so we will just have to live with it until we can offload the car. This is by far the most unreliable car I have ever owned!!

Control unit for the horn?.....LOL.....complicity for the sake of complexity....

Had to take my A class into MB again to have a faulty horn fixed. Not fixed as a new control unit is required so that will be yet another visit! I asked if they had any update on the camera issue and was told that the calibration requirement is to meet new regulations. No idea what these regulations are or what they are related to - sounds like nonsense to me. There is clearly no way MB is going to address this issue so we will just have to live with it until we can offload the car. This is by far the most unreliable car I have ever owned!!
Perhaps I'm missing something but could you not go back to MB and ask them how come other cars don't have this issue if it's now a requirement for new regs?

Perhaps I'm missing something but could you not go back to MB and ask them how come other cars don't have this issue if it's now a requirement for new regs?
The one consistent that you can take from this thread, is your Mercedes Dealer will make up anything just to get rid of you, if your asking awkward questions.

He said that all new Mercedes car have this feature but I have no way of knowing if that is correct or more waffle.

He said that all new Mercedes car have this feature but I have no way of knowing if that is correct or more waffle.
Could you go to a different dealer, get a test drive in another car and see if all Mercedes have that feature?

Could you go to a different dealer, get a test drive in another car and see if all Mercedes have that feature?
I have had a test drive in another new A class saloon and it has the same camera calibration issue. Not tested another new model such as a C class though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom