• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

A class spot of bother

Spanner110

Car
Mercedes A160
I am the unfortunate owner of a 2004 A160 whom has been doing a spot of maintenance on it in my spare time. Nothing to extreme, just replacing the auxiliary belt, followed by the water pump then the auxiliary belt tensioner unit.
As if that wasn't enough I discovered that during the strip down phase of the aforementioned parts, that a previous 'mechanic' working on the vehicle had saved some time by omitting a random selection of screws/bolts/nuts and washers - at this time I'm not a happy bunny! I now have that bit covered but have now had to purchase X2 new suspension strut top mounts owing to two bolts shearing off and the other two stripping out the threads on disassembly. To cap it all - and the reason for this post - an incident involving a vehicle awning and gale force winds has resulted in the nearside driveshaft being pulled out of its joint, dumping the bearings on the ground....and leaving the stub in the gearbox!
Can someone advise if it can be reassembled or whether it really needs a replacement.

I'll be having a good look at the part this afternoon. It'll be worth it just in educational mileage.

With the McPherson struts (top mounts), whether or not you're fitting them yourself, make sure they go in correctly - very easy to fit them wrong way round, and you'll get a horrible racket in a few months time.
Personal experience - had one fitted back to front to my old A160 a few years back.

Here's a little guide (courtesy of Des (aka Forrera) from Sevan Motors, who knows W168/W169 inside out):

31855768362_4c0fbd8acc_o.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom