• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

A lesson for queue-jumping drivers.

So why was everybody over in the offside lane when clearly the lane closure was still a significant distance away? This simply causes the queue to grow unnecessarily long. Both lanes should used and traffic merge zipper fashion.

Yeah, I know pigs can't fly...

That's where the French are one up on us - they have road signs instructing you to merge zipper fashion, and drivers follow the instruction so the queues are shorter and move through quicker with no bad tempers.

How I hate having to admit the French do something better than us!!:devil::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Both lanes should used and traffic merge zipper fashion.

Good old British values, never cut into a queue!

In a similar circumstance I would do the same as the Mercedes driver, drives me mad when people start queuing before you can even see the signs to merge! Bloody lemmings!

Good old British values, never cut into a queue!

In a similar circumstance I would do the same as the Mercedes driver, drives me mad when people start queuing before you can even see the signs to merge! Bloody lemmings!

I agree. This only creates longer traffic jams. If people want to wait then you make that choice, but unfortunately common sense is not possible with the general public.

So why was everybody over in the offside lane when clearly the lane closure was still a significant distance away? This simply causes the queue to grow unnecessarily long. Both lanes should used and traffic merge zipper fashion.

Yeah, I know pigs can't fly...

I agree.
I think the renault was just being uneccessarily dangerous. Pointless excersize if you ask me.

Too stupid to use the extra space to his own advantage by moving up in the LH lane, but too bloody-minded to allow any MORE 'road hogs' to do so.

That's spot on. :thumb:
It's still annoying though when one has been in a queue for a while and someone barges in near the head of the queue.

Not too sure why the Mirror decided is was good footage of a innocent driver getting revenge on a queue jumper. Its not like the left hand lane was closed at any point soon.

That's where the French are one up on us - they have road signs instructing you to merge zipper fashion, and drivers follow the instruction so the queues are shorter and move through quicker with no bad tempers.

How I hate having to admit the French do something better than us!!:devil::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The Germans and the Dutch and the Belgians and Austrians do it too - if I remember correctly it is part of their equivalent of the highway code. It is a long time since I got my German driving licence but it has been in force for years.
Seems a shame that simply because a good idea was invented somewhere else there seems to be some sort of barrier to adopting it here. They are quick enough to pinch our ideas!

There's a bypass near me and it has signs saying "use both lanes" then further down "merge in turn" and finally "merge now" but...... you still get the odd idiot who thinks it's ok to sit in the outside lane holding everyone up.

Who appointed the Renault driver Road Captain?
A self-appointed a-hole. The same sort of self-appointed moron that sits in lane 3 of a dual carriageway and refuses to move to the left to let another vehicle past because "I'm driving at the speed limit, so no-one can legally pass me".

The trouble is, cretins like that have no knowledge as to why the driver of the vehicle that they're blocking wants to get past them. There can be any number of legitimate reasons, yet these self-appointed guardians of the road can't see past their own prejudices.

As an aside, I went to the local tip (sorry, Recycling Centre :rolleyes: ) on Sunday morning. The entrance from the main road is an extended "Y" junction with a large triangular island in the middle of the Y. I approached and entered from the main road by turning right, where there was no queue. The traffic entering by turning left was by contrast queuing for about 100m or so. After waiting some considerable time to merge into the queue, I moved to position my car so as to enter the next gap that opened up and the driver of the car I was positioned to drive ahead of went completely mental. I told him later that he'll have a heart attack if he carries on like that :D

There's a bypass near me and it has signs saying "use both lanes" then further down "merge in turn" and finally "merge now" but...... you still get the odd idiot who thinks it's ok to sit in the outside lane holding everyone up.

Sounds like the Elland bypass near Halifax.... suffer with two types of idiot there almost everyday, those who don't understand what 'use both lanes' means, and those that don't understand what 'merge in turn' means....

Its interesting to note how the Mirror readers voted on this

When I was in India recently there was traffic chaos with everyone cutting each other up. I asked my local guide why there wasn't any "road rage"....his answer was that as there were no rules no-one got angry!:)

Evidently the successful implementation of early V late merging strategy depends on average speeds and traffic density which can change dynamically. After reading the merits of both approaches I guess you have decide which set of circumstances applies to the Mercedes driver in question as to whether he was an elightened road user or selfish oaf. Either way an adequate assement of predominating traffic conditions followed by appropriate signage appears to be key.
https://www.workzonesafety.org/fhwa_wz_grant/atssa/atssa_dynamic_lane_merging

Last edited:
Sounds like the Elland bypass near Halifax.... suffer with two types of idiot there almost everyday, those who don't understand what 'use both lanes' means, and those that don't understand what 'merge in turn' means....

It is the very same bypass (I work on Lowfields just off the bypass)

I thought they were just warming their tyres ready for the restart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom