• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

A very happy quandry

D

Deleted member 11979

Sadly I have to sell my 1991 R129 SL......boooo, but it's because I have a baby coming....yippeeeeee, and the SL has no rear seats. Tempting as it might be to keep it to allow escape from the hulabaloo that a baby brings, I feel it is only fair to buy a four seater convertible so as I can travel, not only with an annoying noise from the passenger seat, but now one from the rear as well.

I have narrowed the choice down and it is between a W124 cabrio (previously owned a 220 powered one of these and loved it) or a clk cabrio, either a 430 or 320 (to help drown out the annoying noises).

Considerations for me are:
Servicing and parts prices (the SL is ruinous at the moment, let alone with all my money being eaten by a baby as well) - fuel economy is not too much of a worry as it will only see light use.
Safety - for obvious reasons.
Longevity - the SL was meant to be a "keeper" - took me ages to find the one I wanted.

What do people think? I've owned 124's and am very much sold on these, but they are rare, I could realistically only afford a 220 as I only have about 12 - 13k and want a good example, but, I have really enjoyed my 3 years of V8 motoring, it never gets boring flooring it and being hurled forwards. I know that CLK's are not as well built as 124's and 129's, but has anyone any ownership experiences of the 430 in particular they could share. Also, what are the things to look for on a CLK?

A major consideration is the cool factor, a 124 is infinitely more cool than a CLK, or am I wrong? Mind you, an SL is probably seen by most as deeply uncool unless your name is JR.

Writing this I have almost talked myself out of selling the SL.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I own a 2000 320 CLK (W208) which I am very pleased with, the V6 is certainly powerful enough for most users. Mine has done 56k, it has FMBSH and I bought it from a main dealer about six months ago (with MB Tier 1 warranty). They do not sell many these days through MB though as they are getting on a bit.

I have had new HT leads (slight misfire) and the brake light switch (ESP/BAS light on) done under warranty.

The hood needed some work for the previous owner so make sure it works correctly when you purchase. Otherwise just consumables, brake pads, filters etc.

Be aware that the boot is not very big and you will struggle to get a modern travel system in it, so test it first.

Also the back seats are quite sculpted so make sure you try a car seat and are happy with how it fits.

I had a W124 coupe and it is certainly bigger, have not had any experience of the cabriolet though.

Good luck with your search.

Also make sure you check the specs very carefully.

Heated seats (winter roof down motoring) and Parktronic (visibility at the back is not great) are a must have in this car.

COMAND if you want it is cheap to add later, so dont pay a premium for it.

Edit: Also make sure that you get a facelift car (indicators in the wing mirrors and muti function wheel are tell tale signs)

Last edited:
I would tend to agree Calvin; the 124 is cooler than the CLK.

What sort of mileage do you want and how much work can you do yourself? I ask this as 2 e320 ragtops went for 4 and 5 grand respectively on ebay recently (not that I am after one myself :rolleyes: ) but at that price i guess they would need some work.

the money you have available should get you a nice one (not an absolute mint one with 34K on the clock though).

good luck with the hunt

I'd only do 3 or 4 thousand a year I imagine, just for high days and holidays, I can do most of the work myself really, but after the SL costing me £300 for HT leads I worry the CLK will be costly to run. I had an e320 coupe which also cost me a bit in terms of head gasket and gearbox etc. I'm quite pickly about my cars, the SL is virtually as new really, and I'd like my next one to be as close to this condition as possible.

Given the choice, i would stick with the SL.
But as you have to change, why not look for a bigger engine W124.
I currently have a CLK 230K, have the smaller engine because I'm 19 and anything else is a b*tch to insure.

Rust is a big problem which came with the W208 and the E Class of the same era. So watch out around the boot lock + arches.
Saying that..i am in the process of getting my rust eradicated by MB under the mobilo life warranty. So look out for dealer history.

Try to get higher spec 1s, ie climate control as opposed to the normal knobs. And facelift is a must.

With your budget, it shouldn't be such a problem.
Happy hunting!

Difficult choice between the 124 and 208. I would think you will need to pay similar money to get examples in the same condition.

Just had a quick look on Autotrader and Pistonheads and 12-14k for a good 124 cabriolet (ouch). You will certaibly get a 208 which is 6 years younger for the same money.

A dilemma only you can decide, each have their own virtues. At least you could get a CLK with an MB warranty, you wont get a 124 with one.

Last edited:
That is really the dilemma, I am seduced by a clk 430 cabrio but just love the old 124's. Either would be beautiful cars, but very different,so maybe I should flip a coin.

If you're getting a W208 cabrio in the 430 engine, be sure to get one with an AMG kit.

A w124 however, with pillarless doors - can look quite raunchy!

That is really the dilemma, I am seduced by a clk 430 cabrio but just love the old 124's. Either would be beautiful cars, but very different,so maybe I should flip a coin.

Go and drive both, and see which you prefer its the only way:D

Servicing and parts prices (the SL is ruinous at the moment, let alone with all my money being eaten by a baby as well)
Thanks for your thoughts.

...err hate to go OT but important to note that babies don't eat money. If it's your first you'll read up that they start on milk and move to other things later on.:D

A thought - don't know how easy it is to disable the passenger air bag for fitting the baby seat in the A124 - I think later cars can be easily programmed. My C124 has none which makes life easier.

Will a cabrio boot swallow all the baby paraphernalia you'll need to lug about - travel systems seem like a great idea, but on the advice of our friends we went for a Maclaren Techno XT buggy which packs flat and is also suitable for new borns.

Can you get a baby seat into the back of the SL?

Best of luck.

Ade

Thank you for all your advice re baby luggage, like the bloke that I am I assumed it would all fit somewhere, I'll have to check, can't get a baby seat in the SL as it doesn't have the rear seat option.

Thank you for all your advice re baby luggage, like the bloke that I am I assumed it would all fit somewhere, I'll have to check, can't get a baby seat in the SL as it doesn't have the rear seat option.

I am sure that the 129 has belt anchorage points even if the seat is not fitted.

I can double check on this if you wish

Black interior?

I have a '91 SL with black interior and would be willing to swap my rear seats if you want them?

Have a word with jaymanek on the forum; he may be able to find you one of either variety

Mine does have the rear seats but AFAIK there are no baby seats that work with a lap belt only (which is all the R129 has in the back).

The rear seats are also heavily "sculpted" (they are specifically designed as child seats), and I'm not sure any kiddie seat would sit particularly well on them.

interior3.jpg

And for older kids a booster would simply lift them closer to the roll bar ... possibly not a good idea!

Thanks very much , I'd already explored the retro fit seats route and found the baby seat won't fit, which is a shame. I have also explored having a bracket made up but it would involve to much butchering of the car, and really at the end of the day I don't know how safe it would be as there are no top anchor points. Thank you for the offer of the swap though, that is very kind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom