• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

A very happy quandry

It's usually a man thing to buy cars and a she-male thing to humiliate us after we have bought our pride and joy.

You say you are buying this car because a new arrival is on the way, yet you then go on to talk about buying a convertible. In my experience, if you buy a Viano, you will still not have enough room for all the paraphernalia required for a weeks holiday with a young baby. I would have a long chat with the other half, discuss what is needed when going away and then think about what vehicle fits the bill. How much boot space is there in the cars you are looking at?

Oh and I am not suggesting buying a Viano, or any other vehicle.

Regards
John

Thankfully Calvin sounds very happy, which is lovely to hear :)

Mind you, I have seen too many ebay items and autotrader adverts, where there is a 'girlfriend forgot to take pill', 'gutted' etc.... It's not right, celibacy looks attractive when you add in the CSA as well :(

We've got a baby, an SL, and a LWB Vito Dualiner (better than a Viano) :)

Ahh, well, I also have a Volvo V70 which will be proper family transport, a 407 coupe (don't all cringe, it actually really good! - honest!) which is marginal family transport and the SL. The SL is purely a toy, but if you can't fit in wee ones I fear it will be a toy used only by me, or very rarely, and as much as I adore it, it's not right. Hence the 4 seats.

We also have a camper van for holidays, that's a Mercedes too, I should add that to my little list on the side! I'm making myself sound really sad here!

My usual advice on the W124/R129 dilemma is this:

- W124 has more room and is more practical in the cabin
- W124 Cab has a tiny boot
- R129 Feels tighter and IMO is built better
- W124 has a lot of shakes and rattles and IMO doesnt feel as well put together as R129
- W124 320 engine is the one to go for.
- R129 all engines are good apart from 280
- W124 is appreciating
- R129 is still depreciating (albeit slowly)
- R129 has undying looks
- W124 is starting to look dated (Risk of being flamed!!)

Although Bill has done it, i say the R129 is a hell of a squeeze in the back to be practical for a young family.

Think that covers it!

My usual advice on the W124/R129 dilemma is this:

- W124 has a lot of shakes and rattles and IMO doesnt feel as well put together as R129
- W124 320 engine is the one to go for.
- R129 has undying looks
- W124 is starting to look dated (Risk of being flamed!!)

Can't comment on the Cab, but my C124 has no shakes or rattles.

As for looks, both the R129 and A124 are very much a product of their times. Neither are beautiful, more purposeful - and I think both will improve with age as distance enables us to look at them more objectively - ie. they don't look like last generation models. The W124 suffers from this more perhaps because of the chunky proportions.

I'm obviously biased but I also rate the 300-24V engine and wouldn't discount it on principle. Condition and history are the most important things.

Best

Ade

Last edited:
I would keep the SL for nice quiet journeys, and use your other cars for family trips, especially as you waited so long for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom