A170CDI "Chipped"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doriant

Car
SL320, Audi A4 Quattro, '66 Jag 'S' type
Hi all,
After talking with an owner up in Cumbria who was very pleased with his conversion, I decided to get mine chipped (A170CDI 1999). I went for the “SuperChip” because there was a dealer locally. Well….. what a difference :D . It now pulls strong from 1100 revs. The engine seems to be crisp / sharp, cruise effortless (lot easier), and run a lot smoother. Over taking is a dream, just press the loud pedal in any gear! It really makes this car a fun drive.
Some figures:
100 lbft of torque at 1100rpm.
Max torque (193 lbft) at 2200rpm
Max power (110 BHP) at 3800rpm.
That’s 20Bhp and 38lbft of torque more, all from a 1.7 turbo diesel, with a simple chip change.

They also told me that the chip used is the same in all the Merc CDI units, and can be transferred to another CDI car and re-programmed for a small cost.

I am now going to get the SL320 (petrol) chipped :rolleyes: , not a massive increase in power or torque (not as good as the turbo diesels), but if it’s makes the motor a lot sharper I’ll be pleased.
I will keep you all posted.

Mine was the first A170 that superchips did, so you should have pretty much the same power/torque curve as this:

http://www.briandrought.com/powergraph.gif

Went to their headquarters for the day. Took them a good few hours to map it. The first version had about 20lb/ft more but smoked like mad. Was good fun though ! It's done 50,000 miles on the chip with no problems at all.

Enjoy !!

Bri

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom