Abc ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveskeggy

Car
S55 AMG
Now I have got my engine to run right, the suspension plays up.
I have never been really happy with the suspension on my 2000 S600, it seems very firm for this type of car.
I read about turning the steering from lock to lock and tried it, the first time it made the car jump around like a bucking bronco while driving down the road, I put this down to doing the steering at the side of the road on the camber. So I did it again on a flat car park and it stopped bucking, but the suspension was no softer.
I then pulled and checked the fuses for the ABC, this had no effect on the ride, but the next day the fun and games started.
For no reason at all the car would drop right down and the red ABC warning came on, on restart it would clear and the car would perform as usual for a minute or so then it would drop again and the red warning came on, this happend every time on a restart.
So I added two plus two, pulled all the fuses again and gave the fuse sockets a blast with some electrical contact cleaner.
This seems to have cured the warning coming on and the car no longer drops.
But I dont think its cured all of the problems. It may be my imagination, but the car seems high on the left when I drive it, however if I get out there seems to be the same gap between the wheel arch and both tyres.
Yesterday morning when I got in the car the left side had sank all the way down, but as soon as I started the car it went straight back up again and worked fine all day.
I did notice that when the warning was on the suspension was actually nice an soft, but it did bounce a bit, from what I understand the ABC controls the damping more than the springing (?) so I guess this is to be expected.
I have also noticed that since doing the fuses it is a slightly better ride, it soaks up most bumps ok, its just if there is a sudden change in the road surface that it its harsh.
I have also had two tyres fitted to the front, on different days because of stock. When they replaced the left side, the left side suspension went up and down a couple of times, I presumed that this was some sort of calibration working itself, however when they replaced the right tyre it didnt so it.
I am nwo wondering if there is a fault on the system or if the system just needs calibrating on a STAR machine.
Either way I cant get to an MB dealer for a couple of weeks as the nearest is 30 miles away and I have a lot of things to sort out at home.
Whatever happens, for the sake of my sanity I think this one will be on Auto Trader sooner rather than later.

One thing I should mention, Although I have not got underneath there is no signs of a major leak anywhere, and the ABC fluid level is the same as it was when I bought the car home.

Update.
If it had sunk by this morning, it wasnt by a lot. I can normally get 3 fingers between the tyre and the wheelarch and this morning it was about 2 1/2 on the drivers side. It is also parked sloping slightly to the left.
it has also rode very well today, so I am wondering if the suspension ECU is training itself after all of the messing around, and if it was a fuse not connecting right, it would have had intermediate power.
I will obviously monitor it for a few days, but at the moment, cross fingers, it seems to have sorted itself out.
So, if anybody has problems with ABC, a good start would be to check the fuses and the fuse connectivity, and the relay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom