• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Abs esp lights vito 447

Smithy860

Car
W447 vito
Hey all.

Just recently my abs and esp lights come on accompanied with the collision not being inoperative and the electric sliding doors not working.
If I restart the car a few times it goes off for a few days.

Whilst it’s on, the abs does sometimes come on as it feels a bit like that when I brake, although it’s more like a scrape. This stops when the light goes off. I also noticed the speedo wobble a bit before the light comes on sometimes.

Could the abs sensor cause all this? I just wondered if it was, why would the abs come on sometimes?

Thank you for your time

Wes

It's likely a wheel sensor; the electric door confused me at first but I suspect that it's set up such that the door can't be opened when the vehicle is in motion, and likely informed by the sensors. The speedo receives signals from the abs module, so there's a link between the two.

A low/failing battery can also sometimes cause abs etc problems but, unfortunately, the only real way to know is to put it on diagnostics for fault codes. There are ways to check the sensors and if you search online you should find them, but not everybody feels experienced enough to do it.

It's likely a wheel sensor; the electric door confused me at first but I suspect that it's set up such that the door can't be opened when the vehicle is in motion, and likely informed by the sensors. The speedo receives signals from the abs module, so there's a link between the two.

A low/failing battery can also sometimes cause abs etc problems but, unfortunately, the only real way to know is to put it on diagnostics for fault codes. There are ways to check the sensors and if you search online you should find them, but not everybody feels experienced enough to do it.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I thought it may be that. I’ll take it to my local guy at some point soon.

The wheel sensors are easy and cheap to replace, or it could be a reluctor ring/bearing.
As said you would need to have something like the iCarsoft MB2 to diagnose properly, but if it is that, it's a cheap fix.
Lots of videos on YouTube.

Just wanted to update :

I got the Icarsoft 3.0 and I got lots of fault codes so I managed to reset them all.
Now I’ll wait as I’m sure the abs esp lights will come on again.
The code relating to the esp did indeed mention the rpm sensor being mechanically defective and told me it was the left front.

There are a couple of ongoing intermittent issues above and beyond that which I’ve noticed and have been logged as faults but I’ll keep that separate.

When the light comes back on, is the sensor behind the wheel? Is it simple enough to do if I take the wheel off? I’m a mechanical fitter so hopefully that will help.
Do you have preferred suppliers for the sensors?

Thank you all. I’ll keep up to date in case it may help anyone else
Wes

It seems all faults refer to front left.
Take the wheel off and you will see the sensor behind the disc in the hub.
It’s a simple job to replace, I used Febi and they were around £20.
I did a video when the wife’s B200 had issues.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It seems all faults refer to front left.
Take the wheel off and you will see the sensor behind the disc in the hub.
It’s a simple job to replace, I used Febi and they were around £20.
I did a video when the wife’s B200 had issues.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Ah thank you, I’ll check that out.

I also wondered if you could swap the front sensors over to check if it’s the sensor that’s the problem

Great video, very helpful! I suspect that’ll end up being the problem with mine. I’ll probably strip it and have a check like you did.
How did you know the torque setting for the hub?

Ok so little update.
I’ve removed the front left wheel sensor (faulty) and going to swap to the right and put the right (ok) on the left .
If the fault switches I can buy a sensor , if it stays on the left then I’ll have to look further . Not entirely sure where but based on geoffs video, the wheel bearing hub assembly with the magnetic ring.
Any comments more than welcome. I’ll keep updated in case anyone else does it.

Have a look on Mercedes / Van > Mercedes EPC Online > nemigaparts.com
to see if it has a reluctor ring or magnetic bearing.
Ah thanks mate, I searched by vin but it said my van was absent so im
Not sure if magnetic bearing or relictor ring? I think a ring but anyone know if these are built into the hub or not?

I did notice my Vito hub being different, wasn’t an e24 central torx bolt so will see.
I’ve swapped the 2 front sensors now, been out for test but nothing happened so will see if the fault swaps sides if/when it comes on again. Both sensors were rusted on and the sensor itself was dirty .

Last edited:
Ok so the abs esp lights came on again but now Icarsoft tells me it’s now the right sensor not the left so it’s now fair to assume the sensor is at fault.
I’ll source another and report back .

Bought one from Elta Automotive so will let you know how it goes once fitted ( £30)
My logic is, if it doesn’t work I can send it back, it has a 3 year warranty as well.
Also, I can use Icarsoft to diagnose if I still get any bother, I shouldn’t as I’ve all but confirmed it’s the sensor.

Good news, let us know how it performs.
I fitted a Febi one 2 years and over 20,000 miles ago, still going strong.

Update after a week and a half.

No sign of any further ABS issues so looks like the new sensor is doing it’s job. The light would normally be on by now. If I do have any issues I’ll report back

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom