accelerator pedal adjustment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scottishc280

Hi folks,

I got the car (1999 C280 V6) 1 week ago and find the accelerator "od". :confused:

When pulling away from stationary it is difficult to find the point at which you will start to move. Any other automatic car I have had has started to move as soon as you depress the pedal, the Merc pedal seems to need to move about 1 inch before it starts to increase the revs.

I checked the cable and it is well lub'd and free moving, but I cannot see any idle type screw to adjust the pedal other than actually tightening the cable and therefore holding open the throttle slightly (this is not ideal).

Are all Mercs like this or is it something I need to get used to?

thanks

1999 C280 V6.

Moving to Engine section, for a better response.

There is usually some adjustment to length, at one end or the other, not the idle screw as this will only increase revs which is not what you want.

I am sure someone with this type of vehicle will help you.

There is a cable slack adjuster at the ECU end of the cable. Under the bonnet, passenger side, just in front of the ECU box. They say to adjust the cable so that there is 1mm of slack in the ball joint thingy at the end of the cable.

If this is OK, it's worth checking the actual pedal linkage, mine was very worn allowing the pedal to move sideways slightly, this gave the pedal more travel before it actually pulled the cable.

I had/have a similar problem with my 1991 300TE, I tried adjusting the cable at the engine end but just ended up increasing the idle speed. I put it back as it was and have now got used to it. It could be just a case of getting used to the car. :cool:

I too had difficulty getting used to the pedal when I first drove a MB. I think its due to the pedal being hinged at its base rather than being suspended from above. I also think that the throttle response isnt linear which I guess is designed to offer a smoother ride - but takes getting used to.

Give it a week or two and I suspect you will forget there was an issue.

Dieselman said:
Brian was this a pun. :)

An unconscious one, but not intended. :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom