Adaptive high beam assist query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

350cls

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E55k AMG Sold / S211 E320 CDI I6 W212 E63 6.2 N/A saloon.
With the adaptive high beam assist it seems to work 100% correctly when a car is approaching from straight ahead, oncoming vehicles. But tonight I noticed it didn't seem to calculate a car ahead of me until a certain distance. The beam was full on, untill eventually it did detect the vehicle ahead of me. Is there a certain distance it detects a vehicle ahead of you. I just felt as though the car ahead of me had the full beam on him.

Maybe the system doesn't detect tail lights as good as oncoming headlight's?

Last edited:
If it’s working correctly, the high beam should reduce sufficiently so as not to cause dazzle in the followed car's mirrors when at a distance, rather than switching fully to dipped beam. As you close on the car in front the high beam will continue to lower until eventually it does a hard switch to dipped beam.

So, in short, when following a car the beam ”throw” continuously varies to keep the upper edge of the light pattern just below their window line until you’re reasonably close, when it does a switch to dipped beam.

If it’s working correctly, the high beam should reduce sufficiently so as not to cause dazzle in the followed car's mirrors when at a distance, rather than switching fully to dipped beam. As you close on the car in front the high beam will continue to lower until eventually it does a hard switch to dipped beam.

So, in short, when following a car the beam ”throw” continuously varies to keep the upper edge of the light pattern just below their window line until you’re reasonably close, when it does a switch to dipped beam.

Thanks for clarifying this, I think in this case the adaptive beam is working correctly. It makes sense now you have explained it. Much appreciated.

I found that the car needed to be directly ahead, if its on a winding road it doesn't always find it. I therefore assumed that it uses raider to detect rather than light sensors. Meaning if it doesn't get strong direct reflection back it cannot see it. But I'm probably wrong

System is using front camera, perhaps calibration of the camera is a bit off? Does is see tarffic signs (speed limit assistant) always perfectly?

System is using front camera, perhaps calibration of the camera is a bit off? Does is see tarffic signs (speed limit assistant) always perfectly?

I'm nearly certain it does always see signs. It's funny you say speed assistant, as I was traveling along a national speed limit road, but then entered a restricted limit area, this could be the reason the system took a longer amount of time to adjust.

I'll need to try the system out a little more. Also had the night vision on. I think what post #2 suggests is how the system acted, it didn't cut the light instant but more gradual.

I found that the car needed to be directly ahead, if its on a winding road it doesn't always find it. I therefore assumed that it uses raider to detect rather than light sensors. Meaning if it doesn't get strong direct reflection back it cannot see it. But I'm probably wrong

The winding road could well be the factor. :thumb:

I have this problem too, I cannot even get mine to work at all. There is nothing in vehicle settings to indicate that I can activate it. when I push the stick forward as was usual in my old car, the main beam just stays on all the time. the cornering lights do not seam to work either. the lights are set to the auto position

I have this problem too, I cannot even get mine to work at all. There is nothing in vehicle settings to indicate that I can activate it. when I push the stick forward as was usual in my old car, the main beam just stays on all the time. the cornering lights do not seam to work either. the lights are set to the auto position

Option to enable is in settings, light ...

I don’t use this anymore. It’s better than the first versions of this type of function, but still not good enough IMO to be relied on.
I was getting numerous flashing from oncoming cars and especially trucks.
That said, I have never noticed anyone coming at me with very obviously full beams on, and I’m sure I must have driven past many cars with this feature and drivers using it over the thousands of miles I do, so.....
:-/

Is it a possibility that not all w212 vehicles come with ils. If it's not in the cluster menu under lights. The car might not have it.

Is it a possibility that not all w212 vehicles come with ils. If it's not in the cluster menu under lights. The car might not have it.
I took mine in as it is under warranty. They told me it did not have intelligent lighting as per the manual. some do not have it he said! They fixed the lights to do the wonky lining up bit when you start up in the dark. I still do not understand that if they have the auto light setting, why it does not work the dip/ head beam automatically. it may be because I have the brake assist stopping sensor in the cluster. I honestly do not know!!!

may take it back to the original garage I got it from, Bedford may be avoiding it due to not wanting to do the warranty work, who knows!!

Option code: 608 is for Adaptive high beam assist. This will be on your specification sheet.

Think I've given loads of people the beam when relying on auto, so now I just dip it manually most of the time. I should consider that when buying my next car! :)

Cant say I've ever been flashed or has the beam stayed on and dazzled on coming vehicles. I think the system works well to be honest.

May be the system can be calibrated to work more accurately.

If you want to see how it works or should work, have a look on youtube there are a few videos showing them working, good luck.

If you want to see how it works or should work, have a look on youtube there are a few videos showing them working, good luck.

If the car doesn't have option 608 is it really worth knowing how the system works!

If the car doesn't have option 608 is it really worth knowing how the system works!
Haha 😄 Only so you can wish you had it ;)

More seriously, Option Code 608 is for Adaptive Main Beam Assist on earlier cars with the Intelligent Light System with bi-xenon (Option Code 621); Option Code 628 is for Adaptive Highbeam Assist Plus on later cars with the LED Intelligent Light System (Option Code 641).

Option code: 608 is for Adaptive high beam assist. This will be on your specification sheet.

On mine is called: 608 AUTOMATIC HIGH BEAM SWITCH (IHC)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom