Ageism

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It’s not the age, it’s the condition and mileage.

I just watched Christmas University Challenge and was shocked by Paxman’s condition at 72. After a more than full life, he has Parkinson’s and needs to be wary of driving generally, let alone at high speed.

And it’s not the power of the car, it’s how he drives it. If he drives it down to Goodwood “on the doorhandles” at 5am at the weekend, he needs to make sure he’s still got it.

If it’s just to flash the cash outside the bar or at the golf club that’s a different matter.

View attachment 135147
I had to bite my tongue at the Postman Pat comment...

Dad had Parkinsons, and had to be evaluated for fitness to drive every year. It was sad when he had to give up his licence but he knew it was the right thing to do.

if you watched the recent documentary with Paxman, you'll see he is driven everywhere... at least he can afford it!

My kids think I'm too old to drive my cabrio, and are very embarrassed when I'm playing The Prodigy or the latest scandi metal with the roof down... but I'll put that down to jealousy :)

Had a nice chat in the car park with a young lad and his passenger in the car park. I guess most would write him off as a "young boy racer" with his car and cap, but he knew all about my car and that his dream car was a C63 but the insurance means he can only drive a 1.4. I did say that the advantage of being a boring old fart was that you can afford to drive nice cars!

we have an 82 yo chap in the village, walks with 2 sticks, buys an SL63 every couple of years and does about 100 miles a month picking up his paper. I always want to shake his hand when I see him!

It is....by any usable matrix 75 is old. Even more so when you take into account average life expectancy in the UK is just under 81. So if 75 is not old I'm not sure what is!
As I said above, I firmly believe there is a difference between being old - that’s merely the number of years since you were born - and being elderly, which IMHO is your attitude (health allowing of course) towards living, and what you get up to.

I do wear a flat cap though, but only because I have very little natural head covering left…

Age isn’t the problem, driving ability is.
Folks are often heard saying, ‘that old twerp shouldn’t be driving’, when the truth is he/she never could.
There are more than 135,000 registered drivers over 90 in this country, and figures show more than a million over 85’s by 2025. More than 500 centenarians still on the roads, and growing, so plenty of time left it would seem.

I do wear a flat cap though, but only because I have very little natural head covering left…
I wear a flat cap too for the same reason, plus the peak keeps rain off my glasses...

I always remove it before driving though 🤣

I had to bite my tongue at the Postman Pat comment...

Dad had Parkinsons, and had to be evaluated for fitness to drive every year. It was sad when he had to give up his licence but he knew it was the right thing to do.

if you watched the recent documentary with Paxman, you'll see he is driven everywhere... at least he can afford it!
I posted the picture of Postman Pat because of the similarity, sorry

Reading some of these posts has had me smiling,we seem to have fair number of older guys on here I am one,how many have taken the medical to continue to drive a 7.5 ton truck or a mini bus,you need to do that after 70,now that is agism,also it seems I can wake up a dormant HGV1 licence I gave up at 63 with a full medical,I have been looking to see if that was possible of course I would have to do the CPC ,but the lure of being offered a auto Actros for a bit of night trailor moving has got me looking at it,don't need the money ,it is that big boy truck that drives itself that I want to try.
I was wondering the same. My partner turns 70 next year and didn't know he has to re-apply and get a medical to keep his entitlement to drive "medium size vehicles"/mini buses etc, until the letter arrived.

He's fitter than many fifty year olds and certainly a better driver than many youngsters round here. Age is just a number and every individual is completely different.

This was built by my dad 75 at the time from scratch with no help
I think he's quite fit for his age

Attachments

• IMG-20221223-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20221223-WA0000.jpg
    552.5 KB · Views: 30
Couple of decades ago you used to see old boys driving around with a V badge on their cars grille. The club badge has a number on it celebrating the number of years of driving experience the member had. The Veteran motorists club/ association i think it was called.

Couple of decades ago you used to see old boys driving around with a V badge on their cars grille. The club badge has a number on it celebrating the number of years of driving experience the member had. The Veteran motorists club/ association i think it was called.
Company of Veteran Motorists, until 1983, when it changed to Guild of Experienced Motorists.

There is a lot of adage in the saying "You are as old as you feel., but when you stop feeling, you are old"

There are dreadfully old 60 year olds who have given up on life and are years older than their actual age.
On the other hand, there are spritely 80 year olds with good eyesight, reflexes and the driving ability of someone far younger.
Age is just a number. Don't get caught up in the figure.

The wall plate is a bit odd as well and so is the lintel across the top of the garage door.

Was the district surveyor involved at all??
Nothing wrong with wallplate. Looks like 4x1 (?) but agree, odd to see nothing above door and window openings.

BUT, nowt to do with the point being made. Looks a great effort at any age. 👏👍

Nothing wrong with wallplate. Looks like 4x1 (?) but agree, odd to see nothing above door and window openings.

BUT, nowt to do with the point being made. Looks a great effort at any age. 👏👍
We did a free standing double garage for my sister back in 2013 and all the walls are cavity.

I keep my Porsche in there and my BIL keeps a couple of nice motorbikes there as well.

It’s all lovely and dry.

This was built by my dad 75 at the time from scratch with no help
I think he's quite fit for his age
I see OSB board being used as Sarking? Scotland or Ireland by any chance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom