AMG A35 Owners Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is the exact reason I looked for a forum! Just been out in mine for 15mins and the bonnet and front wings are red hot....also, bit of smoke coming from near side front wheel arch....bloody shit myself, thought it was in fire LOL. Only seemed to last a few seconds? Doesn’t seem to be brakes? Anyway, took it back out of the garage and for another 10min drive...bonnet and wings still red hot, but no smoke this time!??? Hoping it’s just cos it’s new???
Yeah mine is new, it is a bit daunting, it makes you feel like not doing any speed at all and pootling along, should it have a bonnet protector, or something to deflect the heat!!!!!

Hi all,

New A35 owner here with about 1400 miles on the clock now. Car spec is Mojave Silver Premium Pack. Have come from a Golf R like many others it seems.

First impressions weren't great, Mercedes somehow fitted the car with the black Night Pack Grill on the drivers side of the car and the standard Silver grill on the passenger side.. booked into the dealers in a few weeks to be sorted. Car was also delivered with a small stone chip on the front, again being sorted in the coming weeks.

Good Points:
Overall build quality is much better than the Golf as expected
Better on fuel than the Golf just about
Turns more heads, it looks great and Mojave Silver is a lovely colour
Interior is cracking, albeit the plethora of display options a bit overwhelming at first - so many decisions!
Sounds great and the exhaust continues to open up as the miles increase, the overrun crackles are very addictive
Handles very well and takes corners with ease, brakes are also a big step up

Bad Points:
The A35 feels much slower straight line than the Golf R especially at low revs, seems to take its time to get going and the power is definitely in the high rev range. Have had a play around with my pals Cupra 300 in which on a roll the Golf would just about stick with it, however the Cupra pulls a few car lengths easily on the A35. Once it gets into the high revs however it does pull well.
Perhaps a controversial opinion but IMO the car isn't fast enough to justify the boldness of the aero pack, feel like a bit of a tit with the big wing on the back and beginning to wish I didn't spec it!
The Gearbox is inferior to the Golf's DSG, takes more time to think about things and is not near as instant as the DSG box. Furthermore, if you need to kickdown for a sudden burst of pace or overtake it tends to take so long that the moment passes, it's caught me out a few times.
It takes the crown for the most uncomfortable car I've driven due to a combination of the firm ride, lack of lumbar support and hard seats - I've actually resorted to ordering a lumbar pillow for long drives due to back ache (Not something I thought I'd need at the age of 25!)

Overall I'm pleased with the car and continuing to enjoy it the more I drive it, it's a nice place to be and great to look at. It would be tough for me to choose between the A35 and the Golf R but I think the Mercedes just about edges it due to the brand and build quality etc. The next A45 will certainly be something special.

If anyone has any questions I'll do my best to answer.

On the first bolded part, theres video online to prove that is just a feeling like you said and not factual.

On the 2nd part, are you using auto or manual on the car ? Auto does have a bit of lag, where manual is much more responsive with reviews showing this.

I found the auto box really good for cruising about... I don’t see how it could be better.

Any point I want to get a move on I’ll be in manual, and that’s excellent (better) than the VAG box. For me, the VAG box doing its own changes whilst in manual is unforgivable, at least you can find the rev limiter in the A35!

This is the exact reason I looked for a forum! Just been out in mine for 15mins and the bonnet and front wings are red hot....also, bit of smoke coming from near side front wheel arch....bloody shit myself, thought it was in fire LOL. Only seemed to last a few seconds? Doesn’t seem to be brakes? Anyway, took it back out of the garage and for another 10min drive...bonnet and wings still red hot, but no smoke this time!??? Hoping it’s just cos it’s new???
I guess, it seems to be a safe bet then seeing as no one has replied, to our query, might need to contact MB to discuss this, my sons, little boy was near the car when I visited and wouldn’t want him to get burnt, how’s your thrill and excitement level going, I’m still grinning from ear to ear, like a Cheshire cat

Picked mine up yesterday and it’s epic, Burmester is surprisingly good after Dynaudio and what i had read but what a drive very solid and sure footed and oozing quality .....

073ef987d19f8a7fb77e792b513318a3.jpg

8c727312426f96d3e96c4611083ed04a.jpg

4ad9523ae49ba2a09fcaf0a35fe1f018.jpg

d679794f50df17a9bb8dbfad149e81e9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sounds a little more purposeful, anyone tempted?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sounds a little more purposeful, anyone tempted?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I could be, around about £1k I believe. To be honest I am disappointed with the standard exhaust sound so it’s been something I have been considering since I bought mine.

However I will most likely wait to see what Remus come up with before I take the plunge, they also have a system in development.

I could be, around about £1k I believe. To be honest I am disappointed with the standard exhaust sound so it’s been something I have been considering since I bought mine.

However I will most likely wait to see what Remus come up with before I take the plunge, they also have a system in development.

Yeah around £1k I think. It’s because of the GPF filter and to be honest unless you fit the bypass pipe I don’t think there will be much difference in sound.
I do like Remus though so will be interesting to hear what that sounds like.

Yeah around £1k I think. It’s because of the GPF filter and to be honest unless you fit the bypass pipe I don’t think there will be much difference in sound.
I do like Remus though so will be interesting to hear what that sounds like.

The one in the video is the GPF back and it sounds much better than the standard, I wouldn't remove the GPF filter as it requires a software change and I wouldn't remap the car because of the warranty implications.

Tried launch control for the first time last night, only did it once and was pleasantly surprised with my time, could definitely improve on that a little :)

934D7960-E196-44AB-BB1D-378DEBF8AB59.png

Picking one up next week!

I took one for a test drive today and it broke down with a message about suspension fault and to not drive faster than 50mph. Has anyone experienced this before?

Picking one up next week!

I took one for a test drive today and it broke down with a message about suspension fault and to not drive faster than 50mph. Has anyone experienced this before?

Yes, three times now booked in to be looked at on the 15th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tried launch control for the first time last night, only did it once and was pleasantly surprised with my time, could definitely improve on that a little :)

View attachment 85804

Tried launch control over the weekend. I was all giddy.

However, ive not been able to do a launch control since, measurements were all out too, rev dial flipped to consumption etc. Had to turn car off and back on to reset it all.

Mine didnt like I did that at all.

anyone on here with a Red A35 ? they were at the McDonalds in Darnley on Fri night ?

We’re some of you folks - A35 owner’s that is - at Caffeine & Machine on Sunday?

Where is that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom