AMG A35 Owners Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm having the same issue on mine Okcoky... Did you ever resolve it? mines going back to the dealers next friday.
What bit do you mean the service light or rattle, but niether is there at the moment and have not been to dealers .

Mine had a software update to correct the suspension warning errors, they also updated something to do with the ignition but he wouldn’t say exactly what they did.

Funny thing is car seems to change gear much smoother now [emoji108]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi all,

Just saying hello as I'm sure I'll be posting questions on here at some point! Just ordered a sun yellow A35 AMG with Premium Plus and Style packs, expected to be ready mid August, so got a while yet unfortunately.

Reading the positives and the negatives on this thread, few more negatives than I was hoping to see but not uncommon with modem cars now, just maybe expect more from a MB.

I currently have a Ford Focus RS mrk3 - anyone on here gone from one of these to an A35 they can share their experience of?

I test drove an A35 but unfortunately it only had 10 miles on the clock so I couldn't plant my foot! Nice drive, felt 'reasonably' fast at that rev range with a nice enough sound in Sport+. The interior sells it for me, especially coming from a Focus RS where the interior is terrible. I understand from reviews this car pulls harder from higher revs? I'm expecting it to be very similar to my RS, in the Carwow drag race there's little between all the hot hatches really.

Can I ask as well, while the car I drove (a brand new undriven car) sounded ok in Sport+ the sound is its weakest point in my opinion, the note from my Focus RS without question continued to improve right into 2.5-3,000 mile range, getting louder and grittier. Will the A35 exhaust do this? Do cars with miles on the clock sound better?

Thanks,

Will

Hi all,

Just saying hello as I'm sure I'll be posting questions on here at some point! Just ordered a sun yellow A35 AMG with Premium Plus and Style packs, expected to be ready mid August, so got a while yet unfortunately.

Reading the positives and the negatives on this thread, few more negatives than I was hoping to see but not uncommon with modem cars now, just maybe expect more from a MB.

I currently have a Ford Focus RS mrk3 - anyone on here gone from one of these to an A35 they can share their experience of?

I test drove an A35 but unfortunately it only had 10 miles on the clock so I couldn't plant my foot! Nice drive, felt 'reasonably' fast at that rev range with a nice enough sound in Sport+. The interior sells it for me, especially coming from a Focus RS where the interior is terrible. I understand from reviews this car pulls harder from higher revs? I'm expecting it to be very similar to my RS, in the Carwow drag race there's little between all the hot hatches really.

Can I ask as well, while the car I drove (a brand new undriven car) sounded ok in Sport+ the sound is its weakest point in my opinion, the note from my Focus RS without question continued to improve right into 2.5-3,000 mile range, getting louder and grittier. Will the A35 exhaust do this? Do cars with miles on the clock sound better?

Thanks,

Will

With the WLTP changes think most brands will have a more compromised note - Personally think the A35 AMG note sounds ok, but it subjective and I lean away from raucous to more deep and meaningful in tone.

My Golf R 100% improved in tone as the miles were added, its now a nice deep tone when placed in race.

I am actually pleasantly surprised with the initial ownership feedback having been an early adopter myself previously on other marque as its nothing unusual, some software updates and some trim and build issues - as feedback comes back from the dealers and updates are made in the production process the car invariably improves.

The Golf is in its 7th year of cycle and has proven to be a very solid and reliable model overall but early days were not too dissimilar.

In a drag race there might be finite differences in which car gets over the line first, due to a slower start, but on UK roads, 300 BHP and AWD experience will be pretty much the same

I looked hard at the A35 AMG hence here to comment and think its a really good stab by MB to hit this demographic and it was just overall cost and the thinking that firstly the last evolved version of the Golf R was still the better fit for me, and then latterly the Golf TCR with its BHP increase and other adds that tempted me to the heritage of the GTI. It was now or never really.

know I am giving up the AWD but hoping for same pace on the move as used to in the R and maybe some more lightness, engagement as though the R has great pace it can due to the weight of the AWD feel a heavy planted lump at times - TCR is 100 kg lighter.

Also worked out cheaper than going back to an R, and much cheaper than selecting the A35 AMG and I will even get some pounds back in fuel economy (not that any of us ever select these cars with that in mind)

Have had a personal bonus as VW have raised the price of the MY20 by £2350 to include the Akrapovich exhaust and as mine is an October delivery I will be getting that as a freebie now :)

I like all the colours on the A35 AMG and would likely have gone for the monsoon grey with Aero Pack (which is a must) and yours is a great spec though do have concern you not mentioned the adaptive dampers, which would be my first choice over everything.

Given the way the MK 8 is going and the likely evolution of the A35 AMG I can definitely see myself coming back to it 3 years from now.

2,000 miles now and really enjoying it , exhaust is getting louder [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

556e518a116034932abaecd56acd2c9b.jpg

Quick comparison I posted on an Audi forum comparing cars so as I’ve had the S3 and R before might be worth sharing here .....

A35 handles better out of the box where R needed springs and roll bar to sort it out. It’s roll bars are rigidly mounted to make the body stiffer the downside being that it translates slightly more road noise depending on road surface but I’d take the handling any day.

Steering and feedback the A35 is just that bit more engaging than both cars but remember MQB platform is getting on for 6/7 years old.

Seats are perfect for me and slightly grained so shouldn’t crease on the bolsters or if they do it’ll disguise it.

Technology is awesome but augmented reality sat nav a bit of a gimmick but heads up display on the other hand is fantastic.

Some bits of tech you can’t permanently switch off which can be a bit irritating lane departure being an example is always on every time you start the car.

Interior layout is fantastic the armrest works as an arm rest as does the door trim so you can rest both elbows when driving. Switches fall to hand just right so lots of thought gone into cabin layout.

Interior space as a whole much better than R and edges the S3 too. The car is 6 inches longer than the R so my 8y/o has more room in the back. Boot is also bigger and floor lower.

Interior trim not a huge fan of piano black and non brushed alloy trim also a finger print magnet so prefer materials used in the S3.

MMI much better than R, wasn’t a huge fan of touch screen. The little touch pads on the steering wheel work well so the game has moved on here.

Steering wheel is perfect. Perforated leather and decent metal paddles.

Gear changes slightly more notchy than both R and S3 maybe improve with miles.

Exhaust sound much better than F/L R, my S3 was P/F/L. Especially pops and crackles in sport +

Must have the best ambient lighting on the market I’ve certainly not seen better.

Mines a premium plus so has electric seats and sunroof. Sunroof opening is probably 1.5x the size of R and S3 so worth having.

Build quality and materials is better than R but a tad below S3 but you have to look hard. I’ve a very OCD for detail as work for a prestige car company so 99% of people wouldn’t look in these areas or you’ll only notice when removing parts.

Engine bay much nicer covers and management of cables . R really bugged me that they hadn’t even lacquered under the bonnet.

Burmester audio is miles better than Dynaudio but B&O a clear winner.

Miss the little storage spaces of the R especially the under seat drawers.

First time on here. Got AMG35 Premium Plus in red. Was lovely for first 2,500 miles. Engine management warning light after that. 1 week in garage, fitted new part & returned exactly the same :-( Away again at the mo & told it now needs a new fuel pump. ETA 11 July! Car went off road on 17 May. Not good eh?! Have escalated to AMG Customer Relations & await their reply...

See this thread
A35 Engine whistle
Alas its a fact of life that when Mercedes intoduces a new improved component such as a fuel pump, during the period of its introduction [possibly started mid MAY 2019?] until stocks build up priority is always directed towards the new engine production line meaning existing owners experience a delay. If the car is new, under warranty and currently off the road because of this Mercedes would normally supply a courtesy car to keep you mobile? Looking on the positive at least they are addressing the problem.

Quick comparison I posted on an Audi forum comparing cars so as I’ve had the S3 and R before might be worth sharing here .....

A35 handles better out of the box where R needed springs and roll bar to sort it out. It’s roll bars are rigidly mounted to make the body stiffer the downside being that it translates slightly more road noise depending on road surface but I’d take the handling any day.

Steering and feedback the A35 is just that bit more engaging than both cars but remember MQB platform is getting on for 6/7 years old.

Seats are perfect for me and slightly grained so shouldn’t crease on the bolsters or if they do it’ll disguise it.

Technology is awesome but augmented reality sat nav a bit of a gimmick but heads up display on the other hand is fantastic.

Some bits of tech you can’t permanently switch off which can be a bit irritating lane departure being an example is always on every time you start the car.

Interior layout is fantastic the armrest works as an arm rest as does the door trim so you can rest both elbows when driving. Switches fall to hand just right so lots of thought gone into cabin layout.

Interior space as a whole much better than R and edges the S3 too. The car is 6 inches longer than the R so my 8y/o has more room in the back. Boot is also bigger and floor lower.

Interior trim not a huge fan of piano black and non brushed alloy trim also a finger print magnet so prefer materials used in the S3.

MMI much better than R, wasn’t a huge fan of touch screen. The little touch pads on the steering wheel work well so the game has moved on here.

Steering wheel is perfect. Perforated leather and decent metal paddles.

Gear changes slightly more notchy than both R and S3 maybe improve with miles.

Exhaust sound much better than F/L R, my S3 was P/F/L. Especially pops and crackles in sport +

Must have the best ambient lighting on the market I’ve certainly not seen better.

Mines a premium plus so has electric seats and sunroof. Sunroof opening is probably 1.5x the size of R and S3 so worth having.

Build quality and materials is better than R but a tad below S3 but you have to look hard. I’ve a very OCD for detail as work for a prestige car company so 99% of people wouldn’t look in these areas or you’ll only notice when removing parts.

Engine bay much nicer covers and management of cables . R really bugged me that they hadn’t even lacquered under the bonnet.

Burmester audio is miles better than Dynaudio but B&O a clear winner.

Miss the little storage spaces of the R especially the under seat drawers.

IMO there is no comparison, the A35 has great tech but it is totally out classed by the S3. My A35 is the worst built car I have ever owned, and I actually owned a a Vauxhall once.

This is my First, and most definitely last Mercedes.

IMO there is no comparison, the A35 has great tech but it is totally out classed by the S3. My A35 is the worst built car I have ever owned, and I actually owned a a Vauxhall once.

This is my First, and most definitely last Mercedes.
Sorry to hear that Chris, like you say looks great, techs great, but if it's a big, big let down, that's not good at all.
:(

Sorry to hear that Chris, like you say looks great, techs great, but if it's a big, big let down, that's not good at all.
:(

Its the build quality which is a let down, I have no experience of other Mercedes cars so can't say its an issue throughout the range/brand. What I can say is that on my A35, its terrible.

I have also heard the same complaint from a number of other A35 owners

Be really interested to hear what you think of it, as I live in Northern Ireland i would like to know if it's worth taking the time to attend it the next time I am in England.
I've done an AMG day in MB world - but as a paying customer.
My wife bought it for me a few years ago, I drove a C63, E63 and an A45
My package let me drive 3 AMG cars of my choice - 1 hour in each car in various conditions on various surfaces.
I thought it was very good.

See this thread
A35 Engine whistle
Alas its a fact of life that when Mercedes intoduces a new improved component such as a fuel pump, during the period of its introduction [possibly started mid MAY 2019?] until stocks build up priority is always directed towards the new engine production line meaning existing owners experience a delay. If the car is new, under warranty and currently off the road because of this Mercedes would normally supply a courtesy car to keep you mobile? Looking on the positive at least they are addressing the problem.
Yes, Graeme, the dealers have been pretty good & I have had hire cars followed by a dealer courtesy car. All takes a lot of time & 'phone calls etc, especially as my nearest dealer is around 100 miles away from me. Better news today however, as I have been told the part is on its way from Germany & will arrive at the dealer next Tuesday (18th). Fingers crossed :)

Its the build quality which is a let down, I have no experience of other Mercedes cars so can't say its an issue throughout the range/brand. What I can say is that on my A35, its terrible.

I have also heard the same complaint from a number of other A35 owners

I do think it may be an A class trait - there are some aspects of the car which I feel are built to a cost as such compared to other vehicles in the Merc range. I think the focus with the A class has mainly been on the tech/aesthetics to lure in younger buyers. Im 23 years old, I nearly bought an A250 as it looks good IMO, there are some decent deals on finance about but the main issue on test drive were the rattles and the driving experience felt unusual. I cant describe it completely but it felt like driving in a playstation game as the power was there, the car was quick but the experience itself was disconnected. In the end ended up with a C180 W204 - cheaper to purchase as I got it outright (the A class would have had to be financed), better build quality and with a remap, enough power for me.

Im no boy racer, and my previous car was a MK5 Golf, boring maybe, but it handled just as well as the A-class and a connection was there. The A-class is very competent, but it seems to lack any driver involvement whatsoever.

As for build quality, the current C class seems fine and E-class and above it tends to get into its own. IMO the new range seems to be focusing on looks. Next time you're in the dealer, try tapping on the door cards, they do a feel slightly hollow in comparison to a BMW or Audi.

Got A45amg Not one problem, owned C250 cdi problem after problem mostly small but still annoying all under warranty period.

Stumbled across this today thought it may of be some interest to you guys , I didn’t realise they were that quick ! Beautiful car :)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

My a35 has been with the dealers for the last 3 weeks as they have no stock of front brake pads and wont have any until end of July. My dashboard is creaking and this car is no where near as smooth as my previous golf r or s3. Really disappointed with the build quality.

My a35 has been with the dealers for the last 3 weeks as they have no stock of front brake pads and wont have any until end of July. My dashboard is creaking and this car is no where near as smooth as my previous golf r or s3. Really disappointed with the build quality.

The build quality is no where near Audi standards.

I have driven everything from an A1 to an A7 in the Audi range, and whilst the interior trim is obviously not of the same standard the build quality is.

This is not something I can say about Mercedes, from my A35 to the c and e class I have driven all feel built to a budget. Some how even when using decent quality materials Mercedes can't seem to put an interior together properly.

I’ve never heard of a 6 week backlog for brake pads, I’ve spoken to all spares sites and dealers with no luck. Apparently they’re waiting for them to get manufactured in Germany

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom