AMG A35 Owners Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Edd, told you I was the biggest luddite :( .
How do you crop as you say, on phones? The size of pics on my phone are 4.69mb how do i reduce them to 1mb? :wallbash:
Sorry for being fik. :)

Screenshot_20190315-111152.jpg
Edd, told you I was the biggest luddite :( .
How do you crop as you say, on phones? The size of pics on my phone are 4.69mb how do i reduce them to 1mb? :wallbash:
Sorry for being fik. :)
There should be an 'edit' button when you're in the pic in your gallery. It should ha e a 'crop' option. See my screenshot of this thread....

Well here’s mine. Not to everyone’s taste I’m sure but I absolutely love it! Hopefully the pic works, don’t know why it’s so difficult on this forum!
And not many photos at the moment as the weather is crap :(

View attachment 84435

Nice, my driveway will look pretty similar on Friday when I collect mine.

Its being delivered to my detailer on Wednesday for a full ceramic treatment which takes 48 hours so I am really looking forward to the results.

And as long as it's to your taste, that's all that matters.

Well here’s mine. Not to everyone’s taste I’m sure but I absolutely love it! Hopefully the pic works, don’t know why it’s so difficult on this forum!
And not many photos at the moment as the weather is crap :(

View attachment 84435

Bl@@dy lovely congrats [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cheers guys. Really happy with it. Will be getting it’s first detail the weekend if the weather is decent!

Sold my golf R on Saturday and I hadn’t even test drove an A35 so I was taking a gamble but I think it’s paid off. As I know a few of you are making the same switch these are my first impressions.

It’s early days but as a drivers car it feels sharper and feels like it’s got even more grip than the R, back end is also a little more playful. As a whole it just feels more special.
In sport+ the exhaust pops and bangs on overrun are hilarious, childish but very addictive and surprisingly loud!

The adaptive suspension is superb, been testing it over some local speedbumps and the difference in modes is very noticeable. The ride in comfort mode is a lot softer than in my R on 19” without DCC.

The brakes are also a big upgrade, the callipers are huge and they look great with the drilled discs front and rear. I did a number of track days in the R and the brakes were a big let down, for a 300hp hot hatch they should be better!

Arguably the best part is the interior, it really is very impressive. I went for the Premium so have the big screens and ambient lighting and compared to the R it’s just in another league. Size wise internally it’s on a par with the golf, my 5month old is more than happy in the back.
Overall as you can tell I’m very pleased with my choice :)

Cheers guys. Really happy with it. Will be getting it’s first detail the weekend if the weather is decent!

Sold my golf R on Saturday and I hadn’t even test drove an A35 so I was taking a gamble but I think it’s paid off. As I know a few of you are making the same switch these are my first impressions.

It’s early days but as a drivers car it feels sharper and feels like it’s got even more grip than the R, back end is also a little more playful. As a whole it just feels more special.
In sport+ the exhaust pops and bangs on overrun are hilarious, childish but very addictive and surprisingly loud!

The adaptive suspension is superb, been testing it over some local speedbumps and the difference in modes is very noticeable. The ride in comfort mode is a lot softer than in my R on 19” without DCC.

The brakes are also a big upgrade, the callipers are huge and they look great with the drilled discs front and rear. I did a number of track days in the R and the brakes were a big let down, for a 300hp hot hatch they should be better!

Arguably the best part is the interior, it really is very impressive. I went for the Premium so have the big screens and ambient lighting and compared to the R it’s just in another league. Size wise internally it’s on a par with the golf, my 5month old is more than happy in the back.
Overall as you can tell I’m very pleased with my choice :)

Getting excited for mine now, collection is Friday morning.

My car was build today and has left the factory! Expected next Thursday [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow that’s quick [emoji106]

Do you live next door [emoji23] ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I bet, I was like a kid at Christmas yesterday. I had the day off work to play with it and felt I only scratched the surface.
It will look mega once ceramic coated!

Did you come from a manual car ?

These are my questions as I am coming from manual to dct. I hope one of you owners can help me.

How do you creep forward ? is it just a matter of accellerating as normal but slowly ? I heard there is a 'bite' with taking your foot off the break which will let the car creep forward, but been told its not great for the car doing that

Hill starts, is it just a matter of keeping foot on break, starting car then accellerating away ? or if queued on a hill, break then foot off break and off you go ?

Handbreak - Where is it ?

Did you come from a manual car ?

I sure did, still getting to grips with it to be honest. First impressions are that just after a few miles It all seems very easy and natural.
Handbrake is to the right of the steering wheel on the dash I think?
You can creep forward by just releasing the break.
Hill start, think you’ve got the jist of it :)

I sure did, still getting to grips with it to be honest. First impressions are that just after a few miles It all seems very easy and natural.
Handbrake is to the right of the steering wheel on the dash I think?
You can creep forward by just releasing the break.
Hill start, think you’ve got the jist of it :)

Top lad, thanks.

I think ive turned into a worry wart. Gonna test myself for elevated oestrogen levels lol.

How do you creep forward? is it just a matter of accelerating as normal but slowly? I heard there is a 'bite' with taking your foot off the brake which will let the car creep forward, but been told its not great for the car doing that.

Hill starts, is it just a matter of keeping foot on brake, starting car then accelerating away? Or if queued on a hill, brake then foot off brake and off you go?
Treat it like a manual and you won't go far wrong.

It uses dry clutches so can tolerate some slip but prolonged slipping wears the plates, just like in a manual.

When in slow traffic it's better to let your foot off the brake completely and allow the gear to fully engage. If your speed is still too fast at idle then try asking for 1st as most autos pull 2nd very early (if not from standstill in Comfort) for a smoother take off.

You shouldn't let the car creep keeping the speed below what 1st gear is at idle revs because you'll have to partially hold the brakes on (not a problem in itself) but it means it'll be slipping the clutch to avoid stalling (accelerated clutch wear like in a manual). It's better to move forward and stop, let a gap open and repeat.

When reversing you'll often have to control the speed with the brake which will result in the car slipping the clutch a bit. This is normal but just be sympathetic as you would in a manual. For example, don't creep up a steep hill at 0.5mph for a long time.

You'll notice that when at rest the drivetrain isn't straining to move forwards like a traditional auto. After a brief pause when you first stop the clutch will disengage and your engine will idle as normal. When you let off the brake the clutch is immediately engaged whether you press the throttle or not. To do a hill start just take your foot off the brake and apply light throttle as normal.

This is my experience based on an Audi A3 DCT so the same should apply to the A35.

My C63 uses a series of wet clutches so when stopped and in drive it is constantly straining to move forwards and can tolerate more clutch slipping. It still engages and disengages more like a manual most of the time though.

A torque converter is transferring power through fluid so you can 'slip' it all day long but as a result the gear changes are slurred and it gives a less decisive feeling.

Top lad, thanks.

I think ive turned into a worry wart. Gonna test myself for elevated oestrogen levels lol.

Haha it’s understandable, there’s a lot to take in, especially coming from a manual. Pretty sure you’ll feel at home in no time.

Treat it like a manual and you won't go far wrong.

It uses dry clutches so can tolerate some slip but prolonged slipping wears the plates, just like in a manual.

When in slow traffic it's better to let your foot off the brake completely and allow the gear to fully engage. If your speed is still too fast at idle then try asking for 1st as most autos pull 2nd very early (if not from standstill in Comfort) for a smoother take off.

You shouldn't let the car creep keeping the speed below what 1st gear is at idle revs because you'll have to partially hold the brakes on (not a problem in itself) but it means it'll be slipping the clutch to avoid stalling (accelerated clutch wear like in a manual). It's better to move forward and stop, let a gap open and repeat.

When reversing you'll often have to control the speed with the brake which will result in the car slipping the clutch a bit. This is normal but just be sympathetic as you would in a manual. For example, don't creep up a steep hill at 0.5mph for a long time.

You'll notice that when at rest the drivetrain isn't straining to move forwards like a traditional auto. After a brief pause when you first stop the clutch will disengage and your engine will idle as normal. When you let off the brake the clutch is immediately engaged whether you press the throttle or not. To do a hill start just take your foot off the brake and apply light throttle as normal.

This is my experience based on an Audi A3 DCT so the same should apply to the A35.

My C63 uses a series of wet clutches so when stopped and in drive it is constantly straining to move forwards and can tolerate more clutch slipping. It still engages and disengages more like a manual most of the time though.

A torque converter is transferring power through fluid so you can 'slip' it all day long but as a result the gear changes are slurred and it gives a less decisive feeling.

Thanks Steve, I appreciate that response.

Sorry guys just one other thing. I take it there's no such thing as leaving the DCT 'in gear' so its in neutral when starting and when turning the engine off ? In the manual it will jump forward, I assume there's no such thing in the DCT?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom