• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

And they continue to deny any responsibility

a646c45633cfab95a2aaf727480883aba7de652148fb3601db61853a62d3b3da.jpg

PLEASE STOP ..... I GIVE IN !!!!!

I'm going to set fire the the 350 cdi and the 320 cdi tomorrow !!!

But that will cause even more pollution !

Besides , this whole situation is DIESELMAN's fault :devil::D:D

The other thing is that we don't all drive in city centres, where there is traffic congestion and a high population density,on a daily basis. What about rural areas where there is less traffic concentration and less population density..
Personally my future cars will probably be petrol or hybrid.
Has anyone died from Nox exposure. Linked keeps being mentioned but is it killing people or aggravating other symptoms like asthma etc.

Meanwhile life expectancy is still rising.

The answer , if health is paramount , probably is not to live in a city .

Have you thought about moving to somewhere where there is less pollution? Wouldn't that be more beneficial for your children and grandchildren's health than just posting on a car forum. I understand your concern but other than posting links what else are you doing to safe guard your family. Incidentally driving a large petrol engined car doesn't help your anti-pollution arguments however valid they may be.

Some people with large petrol engined cars do very low annual mileages , therefore pollute less than higher mileage but smaller engined cars .

Newer large petrol engines will often pollute less than older more modest cars too .

Have you considered changing your approach? You've repeated a news story from the BBC which talks about high NOx emissions from diesel passenger cars. You don't appear to have bothered to research and provide a link to the original story.

Your reaction to this story is a criticism of forum members who drive diesels for not listening, and for burying their heads in the sand. That's not who the story criticises. I think your criticism should probably be aimed at the scientists and eco warriors who persuaded governments that diesel was the way to go, and at the governments who created taxation policies to push their citizens down that route. If the findings of the report are correct, and the version I've seen seems a little short on verifiable data, then your criticism should also be aimed at the manufacturers who appear to be deliberately flouting either the letter or the spirit of the law. But no, you'll just launch another tirade against those who have simply followed the advice of the previous experts, and who have been guided by government policies.

What do you expect us to do? Do you want to see mass self-flagellation sessions of Mercedes diesel owners atoning for their sin of following government advice, and taking the advice of manufacturers over yours? Do you want us all to immediately sell our current vehicles and buy hybrids, irrespective of any change cycles we may be on? Have you thought this strategy through? If everyone suddenly moves to petrol engines, there may not be enough refinery capacity for you to get the petrol to run your gas guzzler.

The drivers of diesel vehicles are not the main culprits in this scenario. They're a long way down the line, after the scientists, governments, and manufacturers. However, you don't seem to accept that, and just criticise the diesel drivers on this forum.

That's why you get the reaction you do.

In fairness , Diesel car drivers made a choice - for whatever reasons , there were alternative car engines available . For trucks , buses , vans , even taxis the choice isn't so readily available .

Many who were persuaded to get Diesel cars are now stuck with them : you can't realistically sell something nobody wants .

Many cities are now moving back to electric tram systems to reduce buses , but this costs and the infrastructure takes a long time to put in . Electric trains have largely replaced Diesel ones , which themselves were heralded as the cleaner replacement for steam - but it all takes time .

Even with many moving to electric vehicles , it is often overlooked that the electricity has to be generated somewhere ; while hydro-electric and wind generators are clean , and nuclear power does not pollute the atmosphere , a lot of power is still generated by burning fossil fuels - so pollution is just being moved from one place to another .

Some people with large petrol engined cars do very low annual mileages , therefore pollute less than higher mileage but smaller engined cars .

Newer large petrol engines will often pollute less than older more modest cars too .

True but a small engined low mileage car pollutes even less :thumb:

From the article:

'Oxford Street, Kings Road and the Strand are other pollution hotspots.'

Since around 20 years ago, Oxford street is closed to private vehicles and limited to public transport... the only vehicles allowed to use it these days are red London busses and black cabs.

KE is a troll....he posts this thread, then just sits back and watches and waits for the self-fulfilling prophecy he was hoping for. When next he posts it will be a sulk about all the mean boys.

The answer , if health is paramount , probably is not to live in a city .

Especially London-not that anyone sane would want to, I live close enough to it and can't stand the place!.

PLEASE STOP ..... I GIVE IN !!!!!

I'm going to set fire the the 350 cdi and the 320 cdi tomorrow !!!

Can't you just px them towards another AMG, go on, do your bit for the enviroment!.

The only certainty in life is death, oh, and taxes..

Drive what you like, what meets your needs, you're only here once...

I'm going for the carbon offset approach, 900 Apple trees and 11,000 vines should ensure our td5 won't harm the planet.

I'm going for the carbon offset approach, 900 Apple trees and 11,000 vines should ensure our td5 won't harm the planet.

Yes, but how do apple trees planted in Surrey help you when you breath the fumes of a black cab in Oxford Street...?

I was half way through responding to some of the comments here by explaining my personal decisions, when the site momentarily dropped out and I lost everything. I return to a member calling me a troll. He thinks he's a "mean boy". His words, not mine. Of course such a reaction is to be expected, but is water off a duck's back to me.

On the flip side, there have been several intelligent posts on the subject. Most I agree with.

Anyway, I've now decided it's best not to respond to the "why don't you" / "you should have" negativity because it achieves nothing and merely appears to add fuel to a fire. It's a fire I would prefer to do without. Sit back and get vilified or provide substance and get berated. The former is easier.

I'll continue to read the posts in the hope that someone manages some adult arguments against my now well known concerns. I genuinely want to be provided with proof that I don't need to worry. I want to see evidence that all the reports I far too regularly read and hear about pollution, in particular from diesel cars, are nonsense and that none of any our children will ever suffer as a consequence. Continually reading posts that say "It's not my fault, it's the government/manufacturers/experts fault" doesn't allay any of my fears.

From the article:

'Oxford Street, Kings Road and the Strand are other pollution hotspots.'

Since around 20 years ago, Oxford street is closed to private vehicles and limited to public transport... the only vehicles allowed to use it these days are red London busses and black cabs.

Much like Hope Street in Glasgow , which I remember Friends of the Earth going on about being the most polluted street in Europe some years back , no mention being made that a significant portion is buses and taxis only .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom