• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

And they continue to deny any responsibility

I would imagine large central power stations would be more easily controlled and maintained than hundreds of thousands of individual polluting cars? EV is the future of transportation.

If we really want to save the planet, do away altogether with energy use and resort to horse and cart again.

However we approach the problem, the solution is going to be less than ideal. We've spent the last couple of hundred years raping this world of natural resources quicker than Mother Nature can replenish it.

Can we really do an about turn? I doubt it.

If we really want to save the planet, do away altogether with energy use and resort to horse and cart again.

However we approach the problem, the solution is going to be less than ideal. We've spent the last couple of hundred years raping this world of natural resources quicker than Mother Nature can replenish it.

Can we really do an about turn? I doubt it.

Can we afford not to do that? Mother Nature has a pretty unblemished track record of forcing our hand. It will happen at some point. I doubt in my lifetime but that doesn't mean we must be selfish.

Oil isn't just needed for fuel either. There is this rather ubiquitous stuff called plastic that we really couldn't do without.

Appreciate the thoughts, but the RR Sport is just way too common. And the Cayenne never floated my boat, I would rather get myself another GLS.

It sounded like you wanted a really sporty 4x4, if money were no object I think my pick would either be a full sized Range Rover or a nicely specced GLS 350d, oh um I mean a Prius.

It sounded like you wanted a really sporty 4x4, if money were no object I think my pick would either be a full sized Range Rover or a nicely specced GLS 350d, oh um I mean a Prius.

LOL Before our clonking GLC43 AMG we had a GLS although it was name GL then but the same X166 model. But we called it the anti Prius as our trade in was a Toyota Prius ;)

Land Rovers are just too common where we live. Every other neighbour got one or a Aston or a Porsche. I find that off-putting.

Land Rovers are just too common where we live. Every other neighbour got one or a Aston or a Porsche. I find that off-putting.

Are they professional footballers, by any chance? ;)

We don't produce enough power to be able to cope if there was a mass migration to electric powered vehicles. More power stations would have to be built and that brings up a whole host of new problems and arguments.

Maybe the answer to that is Hybrid for now, this type of vehicle allows a stepping stone to fully EV without putting a massive strain on the existing electricity producing infrastructure and can give us time to catch up with demand by either building new or improving the existing.

Maybe the answer to that is Hybrid for now, this type of vehicle allows a stepping stone to fully EV without putting a massive strain on the existing electricity producing infrastructure and can give us time to catch up with demand by either building new or improving the existing.
My only concern is the extra complexity of the hybrids, not sure about the reliability of these as used cars which is what I buy.

My only concern is the extra complexity of the hybrids, not sure about the reliability of these as used cars which is what I buy.

Toyota/Lexus have been doing hybrids for over 10yrs now, with excellent reliability record. Batteries and hybrid system warranted for 10yrs with annual health checks.

My experience with battery powered stuff around the house is that they tend to become less effective over time rather than suffer catastrophic failure in the same way that combustion engines do. Gives more time to get rid I suppose.

I'll be looking at the new affordable Tesla when it comes out, I think going all electric will be the most troublefree as long as the range is sufficient.

Batt degradation does not seem too bad if this is accurate: "data shows that the Model S’ battery pack generally only loses about 5% of its capacity within the first 50,000 miles and then the degradation significantly slows down with higher mileage. Plug-in America’s data shows several vehicles with over 100,000 miles driven and less than 8% degradation."
https://electrek.co/2016/06/06/tesla-model-s-battery-pack-data-degradation/However I watched a review of one of the Teslas on youtube (CarWow) and the presenter only got 200 miles out of a full charge rather then the claimed 300 if I recall correctly..

Last edited:
LOL Before our clonking GLC43 AMG we had a GLS although it was name GL then but the same X166 model. But we called it the anti Prius as our trade in was a Toyota Prius ;)

If I were in the market for one I'd really struggle to decide between a new Range Rover or a GLS, both look great, the RR I'd say edges the GLS on the interior and off road ability(although who'd take a new one off road?) the GLS will have the RR beaten on reliability, plus like you say, they're not a common sight, I was thinking of switching to a GL myself recently but have spent a lot on my car recently so am going to keep it another year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom