Another engine Oil question, sorry...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I shouldn't have asked, honestly. Got the answer but also bonus material, fml

Remember when Kwick fit was replacing the air in you tyres with hydrogen or something like that, i always take my airship there to check the pressure.

Hi , before I retired the company I worked for purchased a fleet of diesel VW s

I regiously used the correct oil that cost £15.00 lt.

Most of the lads purchased poor quality oil and one went to Woolies and purchased any thing that was cheap.

Engine fell out of the car !

VW would not provide any warranty work on the car and they cannot be blamed for that action.

Did the employees change the oil on company cars themselves? Who carried-out the scheduled servicing?

Remember when Kwick fit was replacing the air in you tyres with hydrogen or something like that, i always take my airship there to check the pressure.
It's nitrogen you refer to, and there's a good reason for doing that in competition cars, but for road cars it's just a gimmick.

The VW 504.00 507.00 would more than do the job and is higher than your MB spec AMG requirement , real synthetics oil basestocks PAO and Esters are as good as it gets also with a high additive package concentration .

According to the quote from Blackstone Labs that you provided earlier, there will be little noticeable difference in engine wear by using a 'better' oil than the manufacturer's recommended spec?

Did the employees change the oil on company cars themselves? Who carried-out the scheduled servicing?
Sounds like the drivers had to pay for the oil and diy service their own company cars.
I’m surprised VW didn’t provide a decent warranty though, Woolworths oil is made by Shell.

Sounds like the drivers had to pay for the oil and diy service their own company cars.
Sounds very odd to me. I'm yet to meet an employer that doesn't consider company provided vehicles as a valuable asset that needs to be properly maintained.

FWIW, I ran several VW TDI PD-engined company cars in the late 1990's / early 2000's that covered the period when VW introduced the extended service interval - but only if Long Life oil was used. Without exception, the lease company demanded annual servicing using the regular oil, not the extended service interval.

I’m surprised VW didn’t provide a decent warranty though, Woolworths oil is made by Shell.

So what happens when a warranty claim is rejected because the driver used the wrong oil? The company makes the driver pay for the new engine?

Sounds very odd to me. I'm yet to meet an employer that doesn't consider company provided vehicles as a valuable asset that needs to be properly maintained.

FWIW, I ran several VW TDI PD-engined company cars in the late 1990's / early 2000's that covered the period when VW introduced the extended service interval - but only if Long Life oil was used. Without exception, the lease company demanded annual servicing using the regular oil, not the extended service interval.
You can't blame the lease company, I imagine those company cars clocked up a great deal of miles in a year, a friend of mine would do 30,000 miles on his work travels.

The crack is to use the LongLife oil annually .

The crack is to use the LongLife oil annually .
I dare say that works well, but I knew the guy who bought one of my ex-lease cars when I handed it back with just under 100k on the odo who then ran it for a further 230k miles just using the regular standard oil with the regular oil change interval. The woman t-boning it at a junction did for it in the end, not any engine issue.

As an aside, the PD technology had (and still has) some advantages over common rail. The only reason it was eventually dropped was cost. I have it on good authority that Bosch lost money on every single PD fuel system, but were tied to contract with VW.

Hi , sorry but I did not make it clear they waited until the check engine oil light came on.

OK, but my question is why did the drivers (employees) buy engine oil for the company cars they were driving? I would have expected the oil changes to be done by a garage, who would also supply the oil for the service. These are fleet cars, not privately-owned vehicles - no?

EDIT - or are you saying that the cars were never serviced, and consumed a lot of oil, so the drivers would walk into the local Woolworths and add a (say) 1L bottle of engine oil from time to time? Still sounds like an odd scenario...?

OK, but my question is why did the drivers (employees) buy engine oil for the company cars they were driving? I would have expected the oil changes to be done by a garage, who would also supply the oil for the service. These are fleet cars, not privately-owned vehicles - no?

EDIT - or are you saying that the cars were never serviced, and consumed a lot of oil, so the drivers would walk into the local Woolworths and add a (say) 1L bottle of engine oil from time to time? Still sounds like an odd scenario...?
It almost sounds a made up story to me, a fleet of new company cars on DiY servicing and all damaged engines except his. Or am I just a bit sceptical.
Anyway I’m just off to feed my baby unicorn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom