any one have chipped E250TD or C250TD 1997'+ ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am not very convinced about chiptuning improving fuel economy.
In CDI-engines, it could be possible, maybe not in pre-chambers.
“Mechanical” fuel system has so many limitations.

C250 td have very small original turbo.
Turbo limits the max power to ~180hp level.
Higher power, and higher boost pressure increases “pumping-loss” (I don’t know the right term).
It means poorer economy, not better.

The pump is capable of ~240hp, with enough big charger.

Hi,

I have a C250 TD. I have had a proper ECU remap done and noticed an additional 40 miles per tank on a motorway, but round town a decrease in 10-15 miles.

The power is significantly more though, more smoother to drive.

I would recommend anyone with a 250 to have it done, they are a very slow engine to begin with!

am this engine is it slow from low rpm ? i feel that its realy slow up to 2000rpm ?

Hi,

I have a C250 TD. I have had a proper ECU remap done and noticed an additional 40 miles per tank on a motorway, but round town a decrease in 10-15 miles.

The power is significantly more though, more smoother to drive.

I would recommend anyone with a 250 to have it done, they are a very slow engine to begin with!

While I agree with your recommendation on chipping, I wouldn't really call them slow in standard trim. They are faster then a BMW 525tds. I think the problem is that the lazy throttle response can make the C250td feel a bit unresponsive.

I am not very convinced about chiptuning improving fuel economy.
In CDI-engines, it could be possible, maybe not in pre-chambers.
“Mechanical” fuel system has so many limitations.

C250 td have very small original turbo.
Turbo limits the max power to ~180hp level.
Higher power, and higher boost pressure increases “pumping-loss” (I don’t know the right term).
It means poorer economy, not better.

The pump is capable of ~240hp, with enough big charger.

Welcome to the forum, you aren't one of those crazy "DieselBoost" guys are you?

With an ECU remap you should see an increase of 10% on normal driving style, the downside is you loose that amount if heavy footed.

While I agree with your recommendation on chipping, I wouldn't really call them slow in standard trim. They are faster then a BMW 525tds. I think the problem is that the lazy throttle response can make the C250td feel a bit unresponsive.

They are slow! There is a serious amount of turbo lag from standstill and on a motorway in standard form the performance is flat.

All i can say is that BMW must be slow :D

They are slow! There is a serious amount of turbo lag from standstill and on a motorway in standard form the performance is flat.

All i can say is that BMW must be slow :D

Having said that, looking at the company your C250TD has in its stable I'm not surprised you call it slow!:D

you say bmw 525tds, my friend at work has this car and it is about 3x times faster than this mercedes i got E250, problem on mercedes is that it acelerates very slow at the begining, both have manual transmisions, but bmw spins weels on 2gear easily, with asr off, mine mercedes cannot spinn on 1gear :) he got average consumption about 7.5l/100km ( thats how we calculate, but do you have any god UK_mpg to litres per 100km converter ?) mine is 11l/100km average,
some of the mechanics sais that 2.2cdi is much more agreesive,
but its not a longlife engine, comon problems with "head"
as i heard the best engine for economy perfomance is 2.7cdi
but only from 99years, and price for that car is 2x more expensive:)
is it difficult-expensive or possible to change engine for the car ? :)

as it sais it has very big turbo lag, and acelerator is so unresponsible, and mpg is like on a SUV. i was choosing between mercedes e290td 1996 caravan (i hate those)
and e250td sedan 1998 avangarde

i was expecting that 2.5td would be more economical than 2.9.. but i was about 2-4litres per 100km wrong :D I actualy dont need so much power when i'm driving, but i like economy :) i love to drive long distances without refiling :) but this car is slow and por mpg-that makes me wanna sell it :) and get bmw 530d ~99' or 00'

I was thinking of getting a 250 diesel Merc this summer. But now it seems that it's meant to be sluggish, I don't think I want to anymore.

But the figures below look pretty good for the Merc. I guess in reality it doesn't perform that well?

PHP:
Mercedes-Benz C250 2.5 TD
(1996-2000)

FUEL TYPE: diesel
ENGINE CAPACITY: 2497cc
CYLINDERS: In-line 5
VALVES: 20
POWER: 150bhp
TORQUE: 206 lb-ft
MAXIMUM SPEED: 126mph
0-60: 9.9 seconds
AVERAGE FUEL ECONOMY: 35mpg
CO2 EMISSIONS: 212 g/km

Last edited:
i would recomend you to go for 2.2cdi but before buying inspect engine carefuly in service. Actualy C class doesnt have much perfomantive diesel engines in 1995-2000,
so if you like perfomance, go for bmw 530d 98-00. i drove that car, it just sounds about 7times faster than 250... 480nm torque... yeah just
try to drive it.. you'll not need any more opinions ;) and it has about 10%more mpg than 250.. comon rail injection.. echh .. so fast dam i hate my merc.. it will became rusty aswell.. lack is going off on the doors... dam dam dam ...

Edit: sorry for swaying off topic on you're thread! I appreciate the info though :)

I wouldn't mind that extra bit of power alright.

I was planning putting a kitchen oil conversion kit on it and since I've heard a few good stories about the C250 converting fine I thought it might be what I'm after.

But if the BMW is as good as you say it is, at that year and type of car, then I better start doing some research :)

I'm a bit Merc mad though. If it wasn't for road tax and insurance I'd have a fleet of old Mercs outside my house :D

yea its offtopic because i got mad that this engine is so old in technology that even cannot be chiped normaly to get more mpg... huh why did i go for it...

( thats how we calculate, but do you have any god UK_mpg to litres per 100km converter ?) mine is 11l/100km average,
some of the mechanics sais that 2.2cdi is much more agreesive,
but its not a longlife engine, comon problems with "head"
as i heard the best engine for economy perfomance is 2.7cdi
but only from 99years, and price for that car is 2x more expensive:)
is it difficult-expensive or possible to change engine for the car ? :)

as it sais it has very big turbo lag, and acelerator is so unresponsible, and mpg is like on a SUV. i was choosing between mercedes e290td 1996 caravan (i hate those)
and e250td sedan 1998 avangarde

i was expecting that 2.5td would be more economical than 2.9.. but i was about 2-4litres per 100km wrong

One I made earlier..

The 2.9 IS more economical due to beindg direct injection as opposed to indirect. The BMW is also direct if it's common rail technology, hence the better consumption rate.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind that extra bit of power alright.

I was planning putting a kitchen oil conversion kit on it and since I've heard a few good stories about the C250 converting fine I thought it might be what I'm after.

The C250 turbo is alright but not as quick as an E300 turbo. You could get an E300 and run it on veg oil just like a C 250.

There weren't any E250 turbos in the UK.

I was thinking of getting a 250 diesel Merc this summer. But now it seems that it's meant to be sluggish, I don't think I want to anymore.

But the figures below look pretty good for the Merc. I guess in reality it doesn't perform that well?

PHP:
Mercedes-Benz C250 2.5 TD
(1996-2000)

FUEL TYPE: diesel
ENGINE CAPACITY: 2497cc
CYLINDERS: In-line 5
VALVES: 20
POWER: 150bhp
TORQUE: 206 lb-ft
MAXIMUM SPEED: 126mph
0-60: 9.9 seconds
AVERAGE FUEL ECONOMY: 35mpg
CO2 EMISSIONS: 212 g/km

Its not that bad. Its a cruiser rather than a hot rod, as long as you know that when buying its fine.

What you do get with a C250 is probably one of the most reliable diesel engines MB ever made, plenty of years of trouble free motoring.

Welcome to the forum, you aren't one of those crazy "DieselBoost" guys are you?

Thank you.
Yes, I am crazy.

How much power is enough ?

Or, do you mean, without any changes ?

With very small mod, a new charger, it is possible to have more power and functionality
E.g. +200hp with Masterpower mp802312 charger, original pump with original plungers, bigger down pipe and exhaust pipe + remapping.
Very good “working properties”
With mp802314 a little more power and turbo lack.

We have here many different versions about this engine.
Friend of mine have Garrett 2359VNT on this same engine.
Pump with 7mm plungers, bigger cooler and exhaust pipe.
Gives ~200kw/500nm.
Function almost like in CDI-engine.

Hi

Welcome to the Forum.

Thank you.
Yes, I am crazy.

How much power is enough ?

Or, do you mean, without any changes ?

With very small mod, a new charger, it is possible to have more power and functionality
E.g. +200hp with Masterpower mp802312 charger, original pump with original plungers, bigger down pipe and exhaust pipe + remapping.
Very good “working properties”
With mp802314 a little more power and turbo lack.

We have here many different versions about this engine.
Friend of mine have Garrett 2359VNT on this same engine.
Pump with 7mm plungers, bigger cooler and exhaust pipe.
Gives ~200kw/500nm.
Function almost like in CDI-engine.

I'm a big fan of your work :rock: . I hope to be able to borrow some ideas for my little project next year. :cool:

hi, thanx, forum is mercedes, but i'm thinking about other car for the moment... only idea is to sell my merc..

Hi

Welcome to the Forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom