Any Subaru Impreza owners?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wemorgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
A205 C220d
My apatite has been whetted and a change of cars is looking like a possibility. (keeping the Audi, selling the Smart)

One option is a Subaru Impreza estate turbo (MY2000 I think). The balance between practicality and performance has me thinking it's worth trying once in your life.

Simply my question is; with so many webpages and forums surrounding Subaru's which are the best ones people can recommend?

I'm after answers to basic new-comer questions like, servicing, reliability, buying inspection advice.

Thanks.

My brother has an 07 one he replaced his Porsche 993 with when his daughter was born. Its the slightly less lairy looking one.

He's looking to get rid of it as its noisy and relatively uncomfortable as a family hack and he never gets it out of the garage to play...

I was astonished at the nasty tinny interior, but then I've never driven it.

Apparently its extremely fast and sticks to the road like **** :)

Ade

Lookup scoobynet it's a well established forum with regional clubs. I too considered a WRX estate. I went to see a 2004 registration with performance pack with my friend whom also owns a spec c.

Quick cars but interior and build quality are rubbish. Take one for a drive you will be pleasantly suprised.

Image is a problem, have you considered a Forester?

Neighbour at previous address has a hot Forester, bought from new in 2005.
Very pleased with it but new job has greatly increased his mileage so he is looking to change due to cost of fuel

Lookup scoobynet it's a well established forum with regional clubs. I too considered a WRX estate. I went to see a 2004 registration with performance pack with my friend whom also owns a spec c.

Quick cars but interior and build quality are rubbish. Take one for a drive you will be pleasantly suprised.

Image is a problem, have you considered a Forester?

Thanks for the tips.

I found scoobynet and joined, posted a welcome and a question, but the forum is so busy it's hard to get your voice heard.

Once again MBClub shows that it's the best! :)

A friend of mine had a Legacy with the twin turbo (sequential) 2.0 boxer engine - virtually identical to that as used in the Impreza.

Was a fresh import with the typical '50-60k' miles but it did look like an honest, clean, low mileage car - all the wear/tear/seats/wheel/pedals etc didn't argue with that.

Spun a shell on the crank and knackered the bottom end. Sourced a replacement engine which was built up again with the correct barrels/heads from the original engine - that went in a similar fashion later on too.

Really changed my perception of the brand - always thought they were pretty tough but speaking to a guy who builds/races engines for these cars it's not uncommon.

What's the budget for this new car - how about a C43 or C32 estate as a compromise - quick enough in the real world and won't attract the sort of attention that most of us loathe! :eek:

Will

I borrowed one of these once and used it for a week, it was silly fast and really cornered like it was on rails.

However, the interior reminded me of my Mums 1984 Nissan Micra, the suspension was hard and it was like riding in a tin can.

Fantastic track day fun car, but not something I'd want to use as a commuter.

My apatite has been whetted and a change of cars is looking like a possibility. (keeping the Audi, selling the Smart)

One option is a Subaru Impreza estate turbo (MY2000 I think). The balance between practicality and performance has me thinking it's worth trying once in your life.

Simply my question is; with so many webpages and forums surrounding Subaru's which are the best ones people can recommend?

I'm after answers to basic new-comer questions like, servicing, reliability, buying inspection advice.

Thanks.

Will,

As you know I'm a Scooby fan.. now on my third, the only car I've ever bought more than once.

Scoobynet does tend to attract the burberry element that Howard alludes to above and can be a bit of a bunfight on occasions.

I used to frequent SIDC http://www.sidc.co.uk, which was much more civilised.. very much like MBclub, in fact, but with the Pleiades replacing the 3-pointed star.

Since I've returned to Scooby ownership, I've dropped in a few times and it seems very much quieter than it used to be.. but 3 years have passed and a number of regulars have left.

However, they still have a very useful FAQ for those who are looking to buy, particularly for the classic model.. may well be worth a perusal.

Cheers,

Gaz

A friend of mine had a Legacy with the twin turbo (sequential) 2.0 boxer engine - virtually identical to that as used in the Impreza.

Was a fresh import with the typical '50-60k' miles but it did look like an honest, clean, low mileage car - all the wear/tear/seats/wheel/pedals etc didn't argue with that.

Spun a shell on the crank and knackered the bottom end. Sourced a replacement engine which was built up again with the correct barrels/heads from the original engine - that went in a similar fashion later on too.

Really changed my perception of the brand - always thought they were pretty tough but speaking to a guy who builds/races engines for these cars it's not uncommon.

What's the budget for this new car - how about a C43 or C32 estate as a compromise - quick enough in the real world and won't attract the sort of attention that most of us loathe! :eek:

Will

TBH, I wouldn't touch an import for the simple fact that I can't read Japanese.. whether the engineer's report says "mint" or "fit only for scrap" would look the same to me. I don't think the twin-turbo engine was ever fitted to the Impreza, BTW.

All 3 that I've bought have been UK supplied and unmodified, which is the only way I'd buy one. They are plenty quick enough in standard trim, and so long as they are properly serviced they just keep on working. They are Japanese after all. ;)

Cheers,

Gaz

What's the budget for this new car - how about a C43 or C32 estate as a compromise - quick enough in the real world and won't attract the sort of attention that most of us loathe!

Today's plan, which may not be the same as tomorrow's plan is: wife take's over Audi and we sell the Smart (~£2.5k). So with that money with maybe +£1k we'd buy something else for me. So you see it's not much money sadly. But I think a car like Gaz' fits the bill, I hope.

Will,

As you know I'm a Scooby fan.. now on my third, the only car I've ever bought more than once.

Scoobynet does tend to attract the burberry element that Howard alludes to above and can be a bit of a bunfight on occasions.

I used to frequent SIDC http://www.sidc.co.uk, which was much more civilised.. very much like MBclub, in fact, but with the Pleiades replacing the 3-pointed star.

Since I've returned to Scooby ownership, I've dropped in a few times and it seems very much quieter than it used to be.. but 3 years have passed and a number of regulars have left.

However, they still have a very useful FAQ for those who are looking to buy, particularly for the classic model.. may well be worth a perusal.

Cheers,

Gaz

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have a look at that website :) With so many versions of the Impreza it's hard for a newcomer to find his way at first.

They are stunningly good cars in terms of value for money. :)

I have had two over the years - an early 2000 car with the Prodrive Performance Pack - (suspension, gear shift, & about 265bhp in a car weighing about as much as a Mercedes Door) - and then later a 2001 (much more refined) with about 320bhp and all the other Prodrive options.

In the time I had them I never met anything that could get away from them - and nothing that could keep up with them in the wet :)

Yes the interior is very basic - but it all works - and continues to work - for years !! No fancy electrics - a sound system that doesn't get in the way of the engine noise - seats that grip you totally - absolutely flat cornering - and you never get caught in Motorway roadworks - cos you never use them - A & B roads all the way :)

However - when you get to my age ............ The E55 takes more care of the old bones :)

Thanks.

Hi,

I had one of the last of the original shape impreza estates which I bought from new which was a 2000 X reg. I am not sure if you after one of these or the WRX that replaced it later that year?

It was a great car to drive but as has been reported here was noisy! Road noise was a bit of a bore on long journeys but then I didn't help as I had 17" prodrive alloys fitted from new with lower profile tyres. The interior really was awful, but it was made better in mine as I spec'd leather seats which helped a lot. I have to say it was pretty bad on fuel and not massively better than my current car which has a 4.2 supercharged V8 (Jag S Type R), but then I probably did drive it a little harder. One thing to really look out for is clutch judder, I think I had 4 clutches fitted to mine under warranty in approx 35,000 miles, and then problem would quickly reappear, 3 of the clutches were even upgraded ones from a P1 but still no good. It certainly put me off in the end, and I traded in for a Jag. I did look at trading for the newer shape WRX but it didn't seem like half the car my original one was to drive, I also considered a STI type UK which was a bit more like it but the repeated clutch problems with mine detered me from another. They were always touted as one of the most relaible cars but maybe I was just unlucky. The servicing was not too bad though as the Subaru dealers tend to be less posey and lower hourly rates!

I think it is the sort of car that I would only consider buying from new, as you just don't know how they have been driven. I think I drove mine reasonably conservatively but most I see on the road are being raced about. But then I think the estates maybe attract a little less attention, as they look a little less lairy so the boy racers go for the saloon with a big wing on the back!!!

Had a nice WRX a couple of years back, and yes the interior is a bit pony, but nice Momo steering wheel.
Fuel consumpstion was probably a bit worse than my current c 43, and they do tend to tram line as does the c43

I have always been a German fan and fifteenish years ago I was running a Golf VR6. I can remember a colleague getting a new Impreza (might have been a P1, can't remember) and how I scoffed at the interior and ugly looks.

Then I drove it. And got it. Completely.

I can remember approaching a bend which I would take on at about 55MPH on a dry day in the golf at a full 20 MPH more without noticing until it was too late. The sphincter tightened, I quietly said my goodbyes and emerged the other side with a grin as wide as the Thames on my face.

Wouldn't have one now though. Too old, fat, responsible and fatherly.

The Merc is my first car after 3.5 years of a Subaru WRX Wagon (MY03) running a tasty 275bhp. I did 50,000 miles in it without fault until it burst into flames! Water in the electrics somewhere i think...

That said, the chav element is wrong, these cars are expensive to insure and most are driven by rather respectable types as on here! The issue is with the very old classic cars now being picked up for peanuts by said barries and being driven in halfords car park. The majority are not so i wouldn't worry about the image with the right car (i.e. not a blue one and no gold wheels)

Apart from that, brilliant car. Has most things you need and nothing you don't. Plastic fairly cheap and the newage cars (01 onwards) are quieter and more refined. They also understeer where the classic would oversteer but are actually a lot stiffer and even quicker in the bends!

For a taller person they are great and load space is astronomical. The down side is super unleaded only and by super Tesco 99 or V-Power only really. However, i averaged 30 mpg in mine so not as bad on fuel as you might think.

Servicing is every 10k and not that bad. Cambelt service was just over £300. the big one is every 30k when you need the diff oil doing, that's £400 near £500 but compare that to an Evo which needs that service every 6000 miles!!!

The engine faults are not that common. I think the issue is that many are run as second cars so they only get brought out for a thrash. Yes its only done 50k and the engine is gone but its been ragged for most of those miles... mine was on 100k and still pulled like a train. Others are approaching 200k no trouble.

Worth a look and see if its for you. Sensible mods only and a map from someone with a good rep is essential if the car has been altered at all.

Shop around, there are loads out there.

m.

Plenty of chavvy types driving 06 , 07 , 08 , 09 plate ones round here ... not just the old ones.

You know the sort , big bass at the lights , baseball cap wearing types .

always fancied a scooby so i purchased a type RA, about 7 years ago. i brought it from a well known jap import trade store in brum. picked it up on the friday afternoon.

long story short, it was very, very fast for about four hours, then it went bang.
it turned out they had played with the extra injector control and boost, but not done it propperly, it was my first turbo car, and i was unaware of the issues surrounding turbo tuning.

i literally killed it on the first evening playing with it. i called the vendor many times over the weekend, he wouldnt answer.

so the missus i had at the time rang him and arranged to view a 'skyline for the husbands 40th that we must have tomorrow, cash waiting' wich we had seen in the shop on the friday. he agreed to meet us thee on the monday. We went down, and after big, big argument, that involved his bag of keys hed left on the countwer going missing, 30 odd jap import cars with no keys would have been a big problem for him...got the bankers draft back, luckly he had not banked it due to bank holiday.

the guy who looked at it for me on the saturday said they are very strong engines, but when they go wrong, they go really wrong.(as do most boosted cars id imagine)

apparently to change the plugs you have to lift the engine half out,as one is trapped behind the body somehow.

i would consider an evo, but never a nother scooby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom