Anything wrong with SLK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jason

Hello

I am thinking of buying a SLK in the UK and would like to know the
approximate price of tyres and exhausts. You know, the basic things that
need replacing regular .Prices not only from main dealers please, as i
intend to have mine looked after at a local garage and not a Merc dealer

Also are there any issues surrounding the SLK? Does anything specific go wrong with it?

Lucky for you the slk is based on the w202 1993-2000 c-class platform and as this is the most common member's car you should be in luck for information :)

If your exhaust manifold cracks it is about £250 for the manifold and about the same labour, when my c230k manifold cracked there was another customer at the stealership with an slk230k and his job was about £200 more for some reason. Otherwise the exhaust is unlikely to need replacing, but if it is you're looking at about £300-400 for the rear box.

Depending on wheels and tyre brand your tyres will be about £300-500 for a set of 4.

The slk is a very reliable, very quick and very good looking car, I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about :)

the pse valve unit in the boot can suffer with water ingress,especially on early cars,giving central locking probs and interior light probs.
to check it pull off the electrical connectors and id the conections are green on the plugs or the unit,then you will need a new one.
the unit is situated to right of the spare wheel on the boot floor ate the bottom of the side panel,you should be able to pull it out once you have got the spare out of the way.
check the roof works ok as the micro switches can give trouble too,aprt from that they are a great car.

Jason

Send me your e-mail by pm (private message) and I will answer any questions I can.

Phil

Boys, keep this open if you can as my wife wants to get one so the knowledge would be useful.

Cheers.

A Colleague of mine is selling her SLK 200, its an '02 car with 5K miles on.

Spec: Silver with Red/Black Leather interior

Optional Black wood trim & SLK320 Style 5 spoke alloys

If anyone is interested

Regards

Tan

I've had my '97 SLK230 (FMBSH) for 18mths. It really is a fantastic car and I would definitely have another. I recently got a full set of tyres (Proxes T1-S - £330). Don't get tyres from dealer - they charge stupid prices.

Original exhaust is fine so far, except one of the brackets sheared last summer which I had replaced (£15ish).

I also had an instrument cluster light fail which cost £80 to replace :eek:

One final problem has been the eyelet connecting the alternator output to the battery feed. This corroded 6 months ago causing the car to die. When it was replaced, MB did not lengthen the cable and it failed again yesterday. The alternator is located at the bottom of the engine bay and is a bugger to get to.

Servicing at MB costs me ~£150 for A-service and ~£250 for B-serv. It alternates between each one every 9000 miles.

Get a leather interior and try to get heated seats as you'll need them with the roof down when it's cold. (If it's sunny but cold you will want the roof down ;) )

Also, the Bose option is nice if you can get it. If buying 2nd-hand check behind the seats for Bose speakers.

As mentioned above, check the roof.

Hope this helps,
Si

Originally posted by simonl
Don't get tyres from dealer - they charge stupid prices.
Be very careful, when I was looking for winter tyres the stealership quoted me nearly half the amount ATS Euromaster quoted!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom