Assistance for new member

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrBMW

Car
BMW
Good Morning to all.

I have in the past owned many Mercedes' ranging from a '98 C180 and a '01 C240 to a 53 Plate E270 CDI which I bought new. In between this, I also had an ML270 CDI manual which I bought new in 2002. I recently changed over from Mercedes to BMM in 2008 for a brand new 525d, due to the automatic gearbox on my E270 CDI giving me trouble, and the ML270 CDI looking slightly outdated. Costs also played a part in getting rid of the ML, and not buying a new shape ML. I have had a lot of fun in the BMW 525d, with it's 3.0 engine giving out quite some power. I had this car remapped, and it's a brilliant drive. However, I miss the Mercedes feel you get when you drive a MB, sort of, "first class". I also miss the great services I was provided with by my dealer, as I near enough knew everybody there.

I have a few questions on hand regarding the new shape E250 CDI.

I have been told that the engine is a 2100CC and a 4 cylinder engine, is this correct?
Can any owners of an E250 CDI tell me what kind of power output they're getting, as I'm slightly worried 2100cc for a large car is "small".
Is it possible to get an E350 CDI without an automatic gearbox? (I'm scared of Autos now after having paid £4000 to MB in Aachen (Germany) to fix a problem which did not fix it, then paying £2500 to MB Chelsea to fix another problem they found in the gearbox "which was the initial problem" but failed to fix it.)

I will be looking to either order a new E250 CDI with all options that are suited for me with a manual gearbox, or, if anyone could shed some light on the reliability on the E350 CDI Auto's and it's general drive, I may purchase an AU version.

Thank you for your time, and Thank you in advance for any help offered.
MK.

The E350 has a completely different gearbox to your old E270, namely it is 7 speed whereas your 270 was 5.

I would hazard a guess that your gearbox problems were down to the dreaded Valeo radiator; these disappeared around 2004/05.

Yes, the dealer in Aachen (Germany) did say that the radiator would need fixing at a cost of £1300, but I ran out of time with the car being with them for 3 days, and several meetings taking place in Croatia I just really needed to shift. Saying that, it was all fine, I even managed to get back to England in shape, no faults what so ever, until I had a major issue outside my house in Chelsea, where it was stuck in D revving like crazy but no movement ...

On the E350 issue, do you know much in terms of reliability? I really do love the look of these cars, and missus has a C200 CDI (new shape) which to looks so smart. It's rather underpowered for me tough. That's why Im slightly concerned about the E250 CDI, and would much rather go for the E350 CDI, but the thing that is stopping me from doing that is my previous issue with the Auto-box still haunting me.

The 250cdi is not underpowered. Two turbos, 200bhp. It won't be much slower than your old 525d remapped.

Top speed 155mph (it will take its time from 130mph getting there) and 0-60 in 7 secs or so.

The automatics are completely different these days, obviously a 350cdi will have some legs on a 250cdi both performance and refinement but the E250cdi is not a slow car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom