• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

ATF 134 VS ATF 3353 - Which one?

turboGT

Car
Mercedes only!
Hi everyone!

I am about to make a transmission flush and I would like to get some advice on which oil to buy. Just to remember that I have a 2004 W220 S500 which has the 722.9 transmission.

Actually, the ATF 3353 is the most updated oil used in the latest 7-speed automatic Mercedes cars. But I do not know whether this oil would suit my 2004 Mercedes which has the 722.9 transmission.

Thanks! :thumb:

Faintly complicated this one!
ATF 3353 meets M-B Specification 236.12, which is slightly long in the tooth these days.
Your 722.9 transmission will require M-B 236.14 (ATF 4134) or M-B 236.15 (ATF 7134), which are exclusive and not interchangeable.
Which one to use depends on the serial number have a look at page 2 of this data sheet.

Regards, lim

My transmission number is 722901 00 010737

So which oil will be better?

Thanks

You need an MB 236.14 spec oil, which several sources supply. You need one of the following: MB 344.0 Zentralhydrauliköl A 001 989 20 03; Fuchs Titan ZH 5364 B; Febi 0019892003.

Unless you want to pay main dealer prices (try them anyway - they MIGHT be competitive...), Febi 21648 (sold by ECP, on eBay at the moment for £9.99/litre) is the one to go for.

Slight glitch at post #5. The three products quoted are, as indicated, those that satisfy M-B Specification 334.0 which is Central Hydraulic Fluid (CHF) for suspension, levelling and steering and the like. The (July 2014) list of approved fluids that satisfy M-B 236.14 is here.
Fuchs, Mobil and Shell all feature. It might be worth knowing that "Opie Oils" in Cornwall will pop oils in the post for you and are presently offering a 15% price reduction (See their Home Page).

Regards, lim

Hi,

Go to MB parts store and take your wd number with you, they will tell you which they use and ask for price and ask to look at the product the MB number will be on the back.

In my case slk R170 5 speed , I was given .10 which was the correct spec when the car was new , I got the fluid from them as it was less than £50 for 5litres (needed 9)

Quoted .14 from other sources the upgraded part no I think brought out 3 years later . At a cost of £69 5 litres. so it was worth going to MB to get the cheaper oil which MB used anyway. I could have used the .14 as it is backwards comparable .

Just go and ask them , they are helpful some times.

Regards,
4johng.

Good luck finding some of those on the July 2014 list...

"Slight glitch at post #5." Oh no there isn't....

The 236.14 spec hasn't changed, or it would have a different suffix. "MB Approval" is a marketing puff, no more, that the 'approved' companies pay for. Febi is made by Bilstein. You will have heard of them, I suspect; high-quality German manufacturer. Theirs comes in -surprise surprise - the same bottle as MB's own stuff does, and I suspect they (if they're cheapest) make it for MB; it also has the MB part number on the label.

I've looked at Opie Oils prices, but they've never been the cheapest, and often seem to sell less-common brands, but it's worth asking them, and your main dealer, and any other supplier you can find for the less common ones (they're all reputable companies), then use whichever is cheapest; I bet it's Febi from ECP, by a long way. I've got Febi in my E55AMG, and will be putting it in the E55K AMG I've just bought.

Use whatever makes you happy, pay as much as you like; buy a product made by a reputable manufacturer, and it's all much of a muchness.

Over to you...

Good luck finding some of those on the July 2014 list...

"Slight glitch at post #5." Oh no there isn't....

The 236.14 spec hasn't changed, or it would have a different suffix. "MB Approval" is a marketing puff, no more, that the 'approved' companies pay for. Febi is made by Bilstein. You will have heard of them, I suspect; high-quality German manufacturer. Theirs comes in -surprise surprise - the same bottle as MB's own stuff does, and I suspect they (if they're cheapest) make it for MB; it also has the MB part number on the label.

I've looked at Opie Oils prices, but they've never been the cheapest, and often seem to sell less-common brands, but it's worth asking them, and your main dealer, and any other supplier you can find for the less common ones (they're all reputable companies), then use whichever is cheapest; I bet it's Febi from ECP, by a long way. I've got Febi in my E55AMG, and will be putting it in the E55K AMG I've just bought.

Use whatever makes you happy, pay as much as you like; buy a product made by a reputable manufacturer, and it's all much of a muchness.

Over to you...

Good Morning E55BOF,

I seem to have upset you for which I apologise without reservation. My only intention was to assist the OP.

I was simply concerned that you were recommending power steering fluids for use in an automatic transmission, but you probably know much more than I do.

With regard to Opie Oils I did not state that they were the cheapest, simply that they were a convenient source and pointing out their latest offer.

FWIW I have recently used Fuchs Titan ATF 4134, retailing at £5.13 including VAT - seems fine so far.

All good wishes, lim

I apologise if I came across as hacked off; please be assured no offence was taken or intended.

Where did you source the Fuchs Titan from? I'll have some of that at that price! (And so, no doubt, will Turbo GT).

E55BOF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom