backup old blackberry before using new one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonnyboy

MB Enthusiast
Car
1991 sl300-24 project,s124 280,w115 no interior, w108 project no engine
ive done some net searching but as yet am struggling.

is it possible to backup the entire contents of my existing blackberry bold 9700 so i can transfer data to the new 9700 that came today?

cheers

john

Yes, just install the Blackberry Desktop Manager client onto a PC. There is a backup/restore client within the software. Just attach the handset over USB and off you go.

You'll find this on the CD that came with your device.

Last edited:
Sp!ke thats an excellent start. Will do it next.
Can that data be added to a backup drive (ext) ? Reason I'm asking is that the laptop i'm typing on (HP running Vista) will be written off by PCW tomorrow and replaced with one running 7 home premium - I will need to have a useable copy, once bitten twice shy and all that!!

sorted thanks.

next problem now is a s/h 8120 i bought cant be set up for email as a bis account is already set up for te phone, and we are struggling to get the "pin" from previous owner. Am happy phone isnt stolen or anything dodgy, but need to get it to work

anyone had this before?

Just type the password wrong 10 times and it will wipe itself and reboot factory fresh.

It'll count you down as you do it. (Make sure you use longish wrong passwords or it'll assume you're pocket typing)

Just type the password wrong 10 times and it will wipe itself and reboot factory fresh.

It'll count you down as you do it. (Make sure you use longish wrong passwords or it'll assume you're pocket typing)

hmmm no countdown, weird
interestingly, i got an activation email for an unrelated to me email addy, no idea what thats about

how did you know what the email is if you dont know the handset password?

Maybe were on crossed wires here... can you log into the device?

If so, go to options, Security, General. Then hit the Blackberry button and select wipe.

This'll take you back to the factory fresh configuration after a reboot.

We are on crossed wires i think lol.

The sim card is in, and working. Just no email or internet.

The handset was wiped by the seller, he never used it for email but the prev prev owner, his brother, did.

When i went into email settings to input the email address we want to use with the handset, it comes up with the option to create new account or login. As its a new bb contract and sim card (just not phone) i hit create new account, it then comes up the error message "cannot create account, an account already exists for this device, please login or contact o2"

Obviously I dont want to ring o2 due to the circumstances (ie the new contract i set up wont be using the handset i bought). Grrrrr

BlackBerry Internet Service

Create an account and follow the instructions.

Basically you need to associate the email account to a Blackberry handset PIN number. The SIM is irrelevant.

Solved.

I rang o2 in the end. They confirmed (as I was already sure) the handset wasnt stolen or mising therefore they wiped the blackberry account tied to the handset and i started again.

Seemples.

Thanks all for your help (sp!ke)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom