Bank holiday driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think the motorway networks will be hammered later,when all the goons are returning to goonland. A goon who drinks in my local has been banging on about his bloody caravan that he has just planted in some field near Abersoch. So the big weekend arrives and off he sets on Saturday morning to spend the bank holiday in said bloody caravan,with two dogs and the wife. Sunday evening he is in the local ? seemingly the four hour plus drive to get to the field containing the bloody caravan did his brains in. The master plan to avoid traffic on the Monday was to drive back home on the Sunday morning when the roads are not so busy. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

After reaching Scotland we turned left at Gretna Green and took the 95 mile long A75 to the west coast. Two odd things about that road; commercial vehicles exceeding 7.5 tonnes were restricted to 40mph when cars wanted to do 50-60mph. For the most part it wasn't a problem as some just ignored it and bowled along at 50-55 which was fast enough.

A few villages had 30mph limits, one having a series of radar triggered traffic lights. Basically if you exceeded the speed limit the lights were triggered to bring you to a stop for no other reason than to teach you a lesson, there was no junction. Effective if environmentally unsound.

After reaching Scotland we turned left at Gretna Green and took the 95 mile long A75 to the west coast. Two odd things about that road; commercial vehicles exceeding 7.5 tonnes were restricted to 40mph when cars wanted to do 50-60mph. For the most part it wasn't a problem as some just ignored it and bowled along at 50-55 which was fast enough.

A few villages had 30mph limits, one having a series of radar triggered traffic lights. Basically if you exceeded the speed limit the lights were triggered to bring you to a stop for no other reason than to teach you a lesson, there was no junction. Effective if environmentally unsound.

This , alas , is down to the high number of KSI incidents which have occurred along this route , and probably to an extent a knee jerk reaction by some local authorities . I did that journey from Dumfries along to Stranraer , then home up the west coast , just a couple of weeks back - thankfully the vast majority were driving responsibly and I only saw one incident where a Land Rover Discovery driver had lost control of his trailer on a downhill stretch and offloaded the mini JCB that was on the trailer into the middle of the road . I don't think he was popular , but at least no one appeared to have been hurt . I passed going in the opposite direction .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom