Bank holiday driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yesterday I was driving behind some guy (although it could have been a woman) who was towing a huge eff-off caravan in a car that I would never buy that was painted a really cr@p colour with a "Honk If You Bonk" sticker on the rear bumper who was eating a full Sunday roast whilst they were driving and had a Three-Toed Sloth hanging out of the rear window and who was doing 28mph in lane 3 of the motorway before finally exiting at Stoke Poges AND THEY DIDN'T USE THEIR $^%*ING INDICATOR !!!

My whole year was ruined.......
That’s what stinger missiles are for

Mind you , if it was one of these wide Euro-spec caravans ( not legal on our roads ) which some make a ‘Hobby’ of towing , you could have made a phone call .

Seriously........that bothers you? I thought I was grumpy.:)

The queues are there because people block the pumps while they do their grocery shopping.

I always wait for a pump on the cap side - not dragging a hose over, under or around my paintwork (never have, never will), the hoses are usually pretty filthy as well.

So apologies, you are going to have to be patient if I'm ahead of you:p!

I wonder why they have the indicator in the car showing which side the cap is on?
As long as you have a proper car it’s easy enough to hold the hose clear of the boot

Hmm I bet they fart a lot under the strain, perhaps that will be the next published pollution study, the activists already want meat banned for the same reason [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Don’t veggies fart more ?

Petrol cap same side as pump makes me think the driver is either a woman, or a retired vicar. I have always driven to the next available pump irrespective of which side it is on. I would never allow the hose to touch the paintwork and it never does. As was said earlier - nearly all pumps reach both sides of most cars, the only 'judgement' (if you can call it that) is that you park the car precisely, to be able to reach your pump anyway and I 'assume' that anyone who drives a performance car ('most' Merc's) is capable of that - surely???

Joining ANY major road. Where there is either a STOP line (single unbroken) or a give way line (double broken) it is the law, I repeat - the LAW, to stop or give way respectively. You CANNOT proceed unless or until the road ahead is clear. Morons fail to appreciate this, joining a motorway and automatically expect to maintain their general trajectory forward into the lines of traffic, unimpeded. It aggravates the situation if you stand your ground in the inside lane and NOT move out to accomodate them because they get angry!!!??? WTF?
It is the responsibility of both people joining a M-Way to match the speed of traffic on the carriageway and merge safely into a gap ; AND of those on the carriageway not to be obstructive and block such gaps .

So why is it such a problem, for you, if people want to use the hose on same side as the cap? ......o_O:)
I find it a nuisance when such people form a single line queue which extends off the forecourt and prevents me getting off the road , often as not I’ll find another petrol station , but normally there’s plenty of space if they’d each pick a pump and move up to it

Wow, impressed with the skill it takes to properly line your car up with the pump so that you can fill on the far side. Awesome...knock yourself out if you want to pull a hose over your car:).

Bit of a stretch calling most Mercs "performance cars" - most aren't.
Certainly not if you count things like W123 200D

Great thread! The collective high blood in here could put a NASA rocket in orbit.

I stayed at home and a had a BBQ with my bank holiday after giving the car a clean but knowing I may get a lot of hate from this, I have a stick on phone holder which sits just above the dash in the middle as it's more convenient should the phone needed charging for the satnav and I'm sorry but I wait for the petrol pump the same side as my filler cap I spend far too much time detailing the car only to drag any hose across the bodywork. :D

Sorry guys if it helps I wasn't out on the roads as I knew they'd be cr*p lol.
Why can’t you just hold the hose clear - unless you drive a van it isn’t hard .

When I said 'they' I meant cars in general (particularly older cars and stupidly forgot I was on an MB forum ! :doh: :rolleyes: I have driven a number of vehicles that have no indication of which side the fuel cap is on. Just out of interest anyone got an old Jag with the twin filler caps ? You got two arrows on your fuel gauge ? Do Teslas have an arrow saying which side the plug hole is ? Does the fridge light really go off when you close the door ? ..When a tree falls in the forest and there is no one there to see it , does it make a sound ?.....time for my med's I think.
If you have a W108/109/110/111/112 the filler is dead centre behind the rear number plate .

The picture of the pump and/or arrow works for most older cars and most makes .

When I said 'they' I meant cars in general (particularly older cars and stupidly forgot I was on an MB forum ! :doh: :rolleyes: I have driven a number of vehicles that have no indication of which side the fuel cap is on. Just out of interest anyone got an old Jag with the twin filler caps ? You got two arrows on your fuel gauge ? Do Teslas have an arrow saying which side the plug hole is ? Does the fridge light really go off when you close the door ? ..When a tree falls in the forest and there is no one there to see it , does it make a sound ?.....time for my med's I think.
In the majority of cases, is it as simple as the fuel filler is positioned to suit the country of origin. German cars drive on the right so fuel filler is on the right. A Japanese or British manufacturer would position it on the left.

Not hard to remember.
Unless it’s a Sprinter van

Most do : within the fuel gauge there’s usually a picture of a petrol pump with the hose on the side where the filler is , or an arrow indicating it .
IIRC, before the days of the little arrow - as you have stated above, the picture of the pump was on the side where the petrol cap was located.

Reactions: 219
Why can’t you just hold the hose clear - unless you drive a van it isn’t hard .

Why can't they park wherever they like and you get in a different queue? If this is an issue for people, they really need to get a life.

Nobody is getting upset with the length of time it takes you to organise the pipe over your car to the tank and back. It probably takes longer (start to finish) to fill a tank with the cap on the far side from the pump.

Common sense & logic says to park on the side where the petrol cap is. The hoses are usually filthy (especially diesel) and why would I want to get my hands dirty and muck around holding up a hose (and then hold everybody up while I clean my hands).

What is a "proper car"?

One that is like an old-fashioned maiden aunt, only with wheels.

P.S. 'Improper' cars are more fun...

One that is like an old-fashioned maiden aunt, only with wheels.
But some old-fashioned maiden aunts do have wheels. How would they be distinguished from a “proper” car?

Inquiring minds, and all that...

:D:D:D

My Jaguar XF had the fuel gauge arrow and my Lexus GS and both the Range Rovers...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Why can't they park wherever they like and you get in a different queue? If this is an issue for people, they really need to get a life.

Nobody is getting upset with the length of time it takes you to organise the pipe over your car to the tank and back. It probably takes longer (start to finish) to fill a tank with the cap on the far side from the pump.

Common sense & logic says to park on the side where the petrol cap is. The hoses are usually filthy (especially diesel) and why would I want to get my hands dirty and muck around holding up a hose (and then hold everybody up while I clean my hands).
I don't get upset...usually a queue for a pump on the correct side means a free pump for me to use...on whatever side. No hose has ever touched my boot lid...it's why God gave us two hands...one to hold the nozzle and the other to hold the hose off the paintwork.

Reactions: 219

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom