Beauty Tips!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R2D2

MB Enthusiast
Car
C350
The problem with keeping your car clean in winter is do you
a. Leave it to get dirty until spring time.
b. Put it through a car wash and ruin the paint with a zillion scratches.
c. Take it to a handwash place, queue for hours, then wish theyd done it properly.
d. Pay a fortune to have it properly valeted every week
e. Do the right thing and get out there in the freezing cold and wash the thing properly, and get those wheels gleaming again.

I recomend the later but it has serious downsides, namely that 2 hours with your hands in water then using alloy wheel cleaner in freezing temperatures, reduces your hands to white pulpy things that look like the contents of yesterdays Mcdonalds Chicken Sandwich.

Well my wife pointed out that cut bleading, knarled plates of chicken (hands) arent getting to do massages to make up for the ridiculous amount of time spent cleaning THAT car!

Therefore she suggested a girly fix to this dilema. First, buy cheapy disposable gloves (one size fits nobody), then buy some nice manly coloured rubber gloves (Pink kitchen ones will work as well but will reduce your cred to ZERO with the neighbours.)

Then cover your hands with Sudocream and put your hands in to the disposable gloves. Then put your rubber gloves on over the disposable ones.

Now, when you do this you WILL feel foolish and your hands will feel squidgy but once everything warms up you wont even know.

Then spend three hours getting freezing (your hands will remain warm) using neat acid to remove brake dust, and tar remover, and T Cut, and Polishes and the finally Zymol until your car is looks brand new again.

Then the magic bit.When you finish cleaning the car instead of spending the next hour removing black brake dust from under your nails with jif and sandpaper, you just remove both layers of gloves and your hands will be bone dry and clean and soft enough to get to spend the next three hours providing that massage!!

Benefits to this method.
a. Car gets properly looked after.
b. Your hands get looked after.
c. Your wife forgives you for spending all morning on the car.

(PS. If you have tattoos, are single, or are well ard, then this advice is not for you, but if like me you the heaviest thing you lift all week is a Shaeffer Pen then try it!)

Hi R2D2,
My vote is 'e'

'Go on my son' (Football talk) :) Get out there and get stuck in.

Big, big proviso though. Go out and treat yourself to a lambswool wash mitt.

What a tremendous piece of equipment, no more freezing cold hands, just a nice warm insulated gloved, mitt.

Make sure you get the wife to wash the dirty bottom parts of the car and the alloy wheels though :rolleyes:

Good luck,
John

Yup I havent tried asking my wife to clean the wheels!!! Do you dare me??

LOL! I guess my solution is a little less hi-tech ;) I have found my compressed neoprene gloves (the ones I go diving in) are great for cold weather! They keep the water out, the heat in and .. well just work!
Spinal

R2D2 said:
Yup I havent tried asking my wife to clean the wheels!!! Do you dare me??

I wheeley, wheeley dare you, :D

Regards,
John

Your wasting your time, most car waxes/polishes are pretty useless if applied when ambient temperature is under 10C

You need to seal the paint, with something like Autoglym SuperResin and ExtraGloss protection, this protects for 6 months.

Wash it regularly with a good quality car wash (Meguiars or AutoGlym) and forget about it looking good until the spring! Save the lovely Zymol until then.

For your hands, just get some good quality barrier cream when you wash the car. I hate rubber gloves filling with water :mad:

Last edited:
Goldfish11 said:
Your wasting your time, most car waxes/polishes are pretty useless if applied when ambient temperature is under 10C

So down here on the English Riviera :rolleyes: we are alright to carry on waxing.

Regards,
John

I always wear rubber gloves when washing Edna, but yesterday I bought a cotton washing mitt and used that over the gloves - it was ace - got no water dribbling into the gloves at all :bannana:

Hand cream under gloves is an excellent way of helping your hands get the best benefit of the cream. You can buy light cotton gloves to wear at night after dolloping on loads of cream too :D

R2D2 said:
Pammy, thats a girly step too far!

Well you were exploring your feminine side mate. :D :D

wash and go

or as an alternative use a power washer at work it saves time and cost... as you only wash it in works time (great) we have a diesel powered hot/steam cleaner and used correctly it brings the wheels up brilliantly and before anyone shouts about paint being blown off if it won;t if and this is a big if ....your paintwork is ok and no dodgy repairs have been done......although we do have one that will reach 8000bar and would cut right through the panels..if you don;t have a washer at work then all club together and get one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom