• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Best engine oil for M113 CLK55

Abdul

Car
C63
Hi guys, service A is due soon on my car so I'm wondering what the recommended engine oil might be for the car. It's a 2001 CLK55 AMG with 90k on the clock.

Also, is it worth while upgrading the air filters to BMC's while i'm at it?

Many thanks,
Abdul

Mobil 1. Buy it from Costco.

MB OE filters.

I was told by a mb technician that Mobil 1 may not be the best thing to use in my 2001 e220 apparently it has been known to cause leaks in older seals. If this is complete rubbish then my apologies just a warning I had and I took his word for it .

I was told by a mb technician that Mobil 1 may not be the best thing to use in my 2001 e220 apparently it has been known to cause leaks in older seals. If this is complete rubbish then my apologies just a warning I had and I took his word for it .

That's a diesel though no?

I mostly do town driving if that makes a difference!

Yes it's a diesel not sure if it makes any difference though I'm sure someone a lot more knowledgeable will be able to add more info.

Thanks guys, so quite a few options.

I'm not sure how much OEM filters are but if they're not significantly cheaper then the BMC's i'll probably go with those.

With regards to oil i'm now utterly baffled as I don't really understand the numbers/letters at the end either lol.

OT; Will, hows your CLK55? I found an AMG bumper in good nick (1 broken tab) but the guy wanted £300 and it needed a repaint! :(

Thanks guys, so quite a few options.

I'm not sure how much OEM filters are but if they're not significantly cheaper then the BMC's i'll probably go with those.

With regards to oil i'm now utterly baffled as I don't really understand the numbers/letters at the end either lol.

OT; Will, hows your CLK55? I found an AMG bumper in good nick (1 broken tab) but the guy wanted £300 and it needed a repaint! :(

Hey Abdul,

CLK55 is going great. Can't believe I've had it 4+ years now, longest I've ever owned any car for! :cool:

£300 is fair for the bumper if in good nick - they are very hard to find as you know.

I personally would stick to OE filters as I can't think of any reason why to fit non-genuine ones. They flow plenty of air for the 5.4 M113 N/A. I think even the supercharged M113 AMGs use proper pleated paper filters as does the McLaren SLR AFAIK - so no performance advantage to be had. Probably better money to spend elsewhere on these cars - new MAF or a gearbox fluid change for example :thumb:

Mobil 1 is the recommended oil for these cars. At around £5+vat a litre I think it's reasonably priced too, and you don't need to change it for another 2 years/10k miles :)

Hey Abdul,

CLK55 is going great. Can't believe I've had it 4+ years now, longest I've ever owned any car for! :cool:

£300 is fair for the bumper if in good nick - they are very hard to find as you know.

I personally would stick to OE filters as I can't think of any reason why to fit non-genuine ones. They flow plenty of air for the 5.4 M113 N/A. I think even the supercharged M113 AMGs use proper pleated paper filters as does the McLaren SLR AFAIK - so no performance advantage to be had. Probably better money to spend elsewhere on these cars - new MAF or a gearbox fluid change for example :thumb:

Mobil 1 is the recommended oil for these cars. At around £5+vat a litre I think it's reasonably priced too, and you don't need to change it for another 2 years/10k miles :)

Thanks Will.

I'll look into getting some Mobil 1 for sure.

Regarding the bumper; I know what you're saying but considering I probably won't be keeping the car (baby due in '14) I just thought it was quite a lot of money to spend that i'd never recoup.

If I manage to persuade the Mrs that it's baby friendly I will be looking into chopping a C32 bumper and grafting that on. If I'm going to blow £500+ on a bumper it may as well look a little different.

Guys, quick question, are the OEM MB air filters supposed to be £115.00 a pair or are Loughton MB taking the p*ss?

I'll go with aftermarket items instead I think.

CLK55 air filters are the same as my C43 and the filters were £88 pair back in 2008, so the price does sound about right, at Euros they are £15 each at the moment, and they are Hengst which were the same make that came out of the MB boxes when I bought mine.

Thanks Andy,

Valuable info right there, I did take a look at them but wasn't sure on the brand.

I think I'll do the fuel filter while am at it, I'm sure it hasn't been changed in years so will probably make a noticeable difference.

Shell Helix Ultra.

I always use OEM Mercedes filters.

As above

Shell Helix don't go near Mobil 1 for the reasons above and the upgrade to BMC filters is worth considering as it normally is cheaper than the OEM ones

Valvoline Syn Power 5w40, and I have been running K&N air filters for a year with no problems what so ever :thumb:

Cheers Justin.

Now I'm confused, 5w40 or 0w40!

Btw, anyone terracleaned their M113?

If not i guess ill be the first, plan to have it done next month.

Cheers Justin

Now I'm confused, 5w40 or 0w40!

I personally think that 0w40 is too thin, in the United states they sell Mobil 1 5w40 which is for older high mileage cars. I have used the Valvoline Syn Power for 20 Years on many different high performance cars, and wouldn't use anything else.

I was going to use Mobil 1 0/40 in mine and was told by local merc guy not to as in older engines it can be abit to thin and cause leaks. I went with his advice and didn't . As for terraclean a lot of people have advised against using it in an older or high mileage engine as apparently sometimes an accumalation of dirt in nooks and crevices in an engine isn't a bad thing as opposed to dislodging them and making things worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom