• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Best fuel

alphagemini

Car
Mercedes C200
Hi, does anyone have a strong opinion about the best brand of petrol for a supercharged 1.8 litre?

Will supermarket 98 octane be as good as any other?

thanks if you can help

Standard 95 will be fine. not a big enough engine to warrant higher Octane level.

Last edited:
Do a forum search, or buy a few various tanks of different fuels and find one which your happy with.

The type of fuel used will make no difference to the 1.8L Kompressor engine's performance.

But use of premium fuels containing detergents such as Shell V-Power or BP Ultimate - or regular use of fuel additive such as Redex, Millers, or Forte - is highly recommended if you intend to keep the car for the longer term as it will help keep the engine clean and prevent fuel system and valve issues.

Hi, does anyone have a strong opinion about the best brand of petrol for a supercharged 1.8 litre?

Will supermarket 98 octane be as good as any other?

thanks if you can help

Don't assume that the higher RON will give you any benefit.

Your engine management system has to be capable of adjusting to it.

Read your manual. It probably mentions 95 RON. Does it say anything about higher RON fuel?

The manual if it's the same as mine will say use 95 Ron minimum and 91 Ron in emergencies only. 98 Ron doesn't get a mention.

Don't assume that the higher RON will give you any benefit.

Your engine management system has to be capable of adjusting to it.

Read your manual. It probably mentions 95 RON. Does it say anything about higher RON fuel?

As above.

The only benefit form using more expensive fuels on cars designed to run on RON 95 comes from their enhanced additives pack, but it has nothing to do with their higher RON rating.

The manual says that any petrol less that 98 octane may damage the engine

So does my Fathers E240 V6 and its never had a single drop of 98 in 8 years. im almost certain that your previous owner has run it on 95 also.

We have clean enough petrol over here that it will run fine.

Last edited:
The Nissan only gets 98RON, but it was mapped for that in Japan so it tends to start knocking if I run 95RON for too long. - The CLK gets the odd tank of V-power for the reason stated above; it cleans out the fuel system.

I once read that high turnover fuel stations are better as it saves the fuel being sat around

The manual says that any petrol less that 98 octane may damage the engine

Are you sure that's what the owners manual for your C200 says? 98 Octane? I would be very surprised if this was the case. As far as I know this is only applicable to AMG cars.

To clarify, there's nothing wrong with running your C200 on 98 RON if this is what you wish to do, but I doubt very much that this was stipulated by Mercedes-Benz.

I know my car doesn't need it

But I run my CLK320 on Tesco Momemtum 99 or VPOWER nitro+ 98 wherever possible or any other premium fuel if i can't get to these stations.

I do so as to be honest the cost is marginally higher, and I noticed 2-3MPG gain and maybe the placebo effect but running a bit better? Haha oh well!

Also with VPOWER I collect triple points often on my Shell Rewards car which does rack up to some serious Airmiles / fuel vouchers

So does my Fathers E240 V6 and its never had a single drop of 98 in 8 years. im almost certain that your previous owner has run it on 95 also.

We have clean enough petrol over here that it will run fine.

Is this true....? Non-AMG cars with manufacturer's warning against use of 95 RON...? How odd.

Is this true....? Non-AMG cars with manufacturer's warning against use of 95 RON...? How odd.

I made a mistake..... it reads 'only use premium unleaded petrol with a minimum
of 95 RON/85 MON which meets the requirements of European Standard EN228'

'you could otherwise impair the engine output, damage the engine.'

As far as I know the higher octane fuel only works with a high compression ratio.
There is a warning that emergency use of lower octane must be done at low speed.

We don't live in the Ukraine or Kazakhstan, our petrol quality is fine which is precisely the reason we can map our cars to a higher output than OEM, OEM need to cater for petrol full or sticks and toenails.

I've heard all the stories about inferior supermarket fuels and completely ignored them. My last car was a Peugeot 407 2.0 hdi bought with 90k on it and I put another 50k on it in 3.5 years all on supermarket fuel with no issues at all. Just chucked a redex in every so often. The E320cdi is going to be the same.

Sent from my SM-T365 using Tapatalk

I certainly notice more torque in the mid and top end of the rev range with 99 over 95.

I've switched between them regularly for 3 years, I'm certain it's not a placebo.

It's not that the engine has to adjust to it, it's that it doesn't have to adjust the timing to avoid knocking. The 95 fuel goes bang easier, and so you can get pre-ignition. The engine's knock sensor detects this and adjusts the timing to avoid it, but that timing isn't ideal and it reduces your power output and economy. The 99 doesn't ignite so readily, so the engine's timing doesn't have to be adjusted away from perfect and so runs at full power for much more of the time.

Also with VPOWER I collect triple points often on my Shell Rewards car which does rack up to some serious Airmiles / fuel vouchers
I use enough of it, that mine is a V-Power rewards card... but all I seem to get is the fuel vouchers.

I use enough of it, that mine is a V-Power rewards card... but all I seem to get is the fuel vouchers.

If you login online you can select which reward you would like

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom