Best way to send alloys through post?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gazhowell

Can anyone advise on the best way for me to post a set of 4 alloy wheels with tyres? Obviously it'll have to be a courier, but being in work all day makes it slightly hard.

Can I just go down to my local City Link depot (for example) and do the job there and then, or is the depot only for picking up stuff you've missed when you're out?

Will I have to send them as 4 separate packages, or just one shipment with 4 parcels?

Also any advice on packaging would be great, I have no idea how to wrap them as I haven't got any boxes big or strong enough - I was thinking the tyres provide most of the protection so strong bin bags (like rubble sacks) should be enough to wrap them.

and if u can get black bags wrapped around them do so, and then selotape paper which has the designated name and address for the reciever

Give DHL a phone - they will give you all the details. They will pick them up from your home as well if you ask and advise you on packing.

The only thing about home pick-up is that you have to be home for them to do it and I'm in work :D (can't get them picked up in work - not allowed). I am home from about 5pm though but prob too late.

Do they do saturday pick up?

They do in my area. But phone your local depot to check for your location.
They also work up 7pm some evenings.

Some do later pick ups, I have sent and received a few sets of wheels in the past and with tyres is better (and easier) as it protects them, I also use some cardboard to protect the fronts and backs of each wheel. I sent them through ParcelForce and they seem to be pretty quick on delivery :)

Last edited:
Best way is to place a sheet of cardboard accross the face of the wheel, and a sheet on the back. Then take the 2 surfaces together in all 4 directions so it doesn't come off.

Then get one of the many online companies to come and pick them up.

Best way to send alloys through post?

A very large jiffy bag? :eek:

last time we sent a set out it worked out cheaper with DHL to send them as 4 individual parcels - all bubble wrapped and protected with cardboard each wheel cost just over £6 to send :)

You could also check the price of a pallet although they tend to depend on the distances involved.

Andy

I've you're an ebay user then that's an option - someone on there sells a service to transport 4 alloys+tyres to anywhere in the UK for £25 - their feedback rating suggests that they are very reliable too. I spotted their ads when searching for "AMG Alloys" on ebay.

Go with the add above if I were you.

I send out a few sets of these, but I box all of them, couriers are bloody useless at keeping them undamaged.

Any deliveries in the UK I send by Pallet hauler, far more reliable and I can box and wrap four wheels onto a pallet, which reduces the damage probles substantially.

Black bags and bubble wrap aren't good enough, it needs cardboard as KLP92 has suggested, as an absolute minimum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom