BI XENON CLK 2009 CONVERSION WIRING HELP!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What's the purpose of the control unit? Is that for the leveling ?

As far as I know the HID system comprises of bulb and ballast and is connected to the front SAM, i.e. it does not have a separate control unit. Possibly the ballast is sometimes refereed to as 'control unit'.

There are two suspension height sensors, one in the front suspension and one in the rear suspension, so that the car can calculate the degree of incline (e.g. when the boot is loaded etc) and correct the headlamp height adjustment accordingly.

This - and the headlamp washers - are required for ECE type conformity for headlamps producing 3,000 Lumen or more.

Factory-fitted LED appear to be exempt however - either because they produce less than 3,000 Lumen - or because they are software-managed which prevents dazzling in all circumstances - not sure.

Seems like a whole heap of pain and cost for no gain...

Seems like a whole heap of pain and cost for no gain...

Retrofitting bi-xenons was a massive improvement over the halogen lamps on my S203, probably the best retrofit I had done. Probably the most expensive as well when including the auto leveling and washers...

Dont need auto leveling like I said, once its set properly that's it. I have washers already, I only need to connect the power plugs that's it and it's done. And maybe code but it's not flickering so I'll leave it as it is.

Auto leveling is also dynamic, constantly adjusting the level as the car pitches and dives as you drive.
Setting the level statically will result in you dazzling other drivers. Also you have no way to compensate for vehicle loading, luggage or passengers, even a full tank. That's what the thumbwheel adjuster did for the halogen setup and you now have lost even that.
Bite the bullet and get the loom and level sensors, probably another £250 plus fitting and coding.

Where can I get the loom? I have the level sensors and the control unit (without the 1,2,3).

If you could please direct me to where it can be purchased from that would be great.

How hard is it to wire it ?

Should be available from MB.
Needs a fair amount of trim removed, took a good 4hrs to fit.
So you already have the suspension sensors for the front and rear axles?

Yes that's correct I do have the level sensors, i wonder If my car already has the loom?

What suspension does your CLK have?
I don't understand why you would have level sensors on a halogen lamp car?
MB don't fit looms for options not spec'd at the factory.

Headlamp washers were an option on many models fitted with halogen, so perhaps not so curious.

I assumed they may have had it, its like the dash loom has cabling for heated seats even though it may not have heated seats in the car and this is cause the loom is part of it.

I am guessing it's a separate loom for the leveling sensors and not part of another.

When I had headlamp washers retrofitted the control wire for the pump wasn't part of the loom that fed the screen washers, even though it went to the same connectors!
MB won't fit wires that don't do anything.

When I had the heated front seats retrofitted, and the puddle lights, the looms weren't there and needed to be purchased / fabricated.

I think that MB do this in part to save money, but also in part to reduce weight and improve emission figures.

I see, well I'll give an update soon on how they are.

Also, star is showing cornering illumination, I guess I can enable this too. Only thing I'd say is I despise the yellow high beams, I have looked into the led h7s with built in ballast but not sure whether the car will flag this up as an error or if it will even work out.

Your MoT tester should flag it up as an incompatible light source i.e. the housing is not designed/type approved for the light source.

Also, star is showing cornering illumination
This may well be provided by the fog lamps (it was on my S203) and without the correct lens fitted enabling corner illumination will merely put the required fog lamp on with little or no benefit. It's possible the headlamp unit might provide cornering illumination but that would require a unit of the correct type, I doubt a 2004 unit would work. There's also Curve illumination but that requires a headlamp unit that enables the dipped bean to move side to side, again I doubt a 2004 unit would do it.

Dont need auto leveling like I said, once its set properly that's it. I have washers already, I only need to connect the power plugs that's it and it's done. And maybe code but it's not flickering so I'll leave it as it is.

You are wrong, why do you think auto leveling is fitted as standard with these lamps? Also, your originals had manual leveling and again it was for a good reason.

Xenon lights have a greater potential to dazzle ergo self levelling is fitted as standard. You cannot level the lights and have that one setting suitable for all load configurations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom