Bi Xenon Headlamp Problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickB76

Car
Mercedes C Class Estate
Hi

I am new here so please be gentle with me!

When I was on my way home from work tonight, someone flashed me to say my headlamps were on main beam. The lights are on auto and the main beam isn't engaged (as they found out when I did flash them!)

However, I am a little confused as to what may be causing them to be set too high. When I start the car up, the lights come on and then raise and lower and then raise again (something to do with the shutter on the lamps I guess) and I think the shutter should be lowered rather than raised. Am I right?

The car is a C250 AMG estate on a 13 plate in the UK, so whilst it is under warranty I thought I would check to see if there is a setting that I haven't managed to find yet.

Many thanks (and Happy Xmas to all)

Nick

Self leveling lever has become dislodged from the suspension arm?

Hi Nick.

The function you mention where the lights raise and go lower when you switch on the car is the auto-levelling part of the lighting system. The car decides how high or low the beam is supposed to be pointing and adjusts it accordingly. You aren't able to change it yourself, thats the up/down dial you would find on a car without the auto-levelling headlamps. You'll probably just find it was someone who felt like flashing you because they were over jealous of how strikingly beautiful the glow of your headlamps were!

I hope I'm correct in what I'm saying, my CLK had the same, I always thought how cool it was when I got back in it in a car park and watched the light beam adjust itself. And the cornering function is also part of this system, where the light beam travels round the corner as you drive into it (depending on which way you turn the steering wheel).

I don't think you have any issues with your lights at all. An MOT station should be able to check them if you don't want to book an appointment with the dealer as it's a failure if they were to dazzle oncoming traffic.

Wars.

That could be it!

I noticed at the weekend that the front grill was loose and the number plate holder is cracked, so I am assuming that someone has driven into me when I am parked and driven off - nice person!

I have something to check now! Thanks

Ah that puts a different spin on things! Some people are such terrible drivers. Bad luck, hopefully it's not too expensive to rectify.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom