Blink Codes Wanted 1992 R129.66

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classiccarnut

Car
Mercedes
I am in the process of building a blink code reader using the instructions found elsewhere on this forum and other internet pages.

I have the analogue 16 pin socket on the car (block of 4 next to block of 12 type).

Does anyone have a list of the fault codes/blinks as I can't find them anywhere on the net. Without them my little electronics project will be useless.

I did find THIS on eBay, but I don't for one minute think it's worth the asking price or the myther of waiting for it to come from the USA.

Thanks in advance

Steve

This is the EZL unit with no memory - i.e. faults only able to be read while engine running (engine 119.960)?

Last edited:
OK, I'm new to this as I've only had the car for a week. I've found quite a lot of information on the web about MB fault reading but then I read something else that contradicts the previous article. I take it that this is due to MB changing the spec' of the R129 a few times during its' life cycle. Therefore I'm finding it difficult to establish exactly what the cars computer does when it picks up a fault.

I take it then, that my version of the R129 does not retain any fault codes ?

If this is the case then I assume that once I've fixed the problem that causes my ABS/ASR lights to come on, they will stay off without anything being reset ?

If I run the engine with my code reader in place, with a list of codes should I be able to pinpoint the problem with my ABS/ASR ?

All help will be gratefully received !

Thanks

Steve

I'm away from the ref docs but I think I'm right in saying that (assuming you have a 119.960 engine) then you have 3 diagnostic points - KE, EZL and MAS.

EZL/AKR (the electronic ignition) gives pulse codes while running (i.e. doesn't store them) so you have to run through a set of tests with the reader attached and note the codes (if any).

What is the engine code fitted to your car?

The engine code is M119.960 KAT.

Thanks

Steve

OK so that's KE injection (not HFM). But you are looking for ASR/ABS fault codes, not engine management?

Which pins in your 16-pin connector actually have wires inside them (some will be empty)?

(I have a feeling your car doesn't have fault codes for those modules)

Yes I'm looking for ASR/ABS fault codes.

The pins that are wired are 1,3,6,7,8,10,11,12,14,16

Cheers

Steve

i think it should have a diagnostic output for the asr (and consequently abs) module, could be in with the ea/cc? don't see so many of these any more, mostly have the bulbs taken out these days :(

I think I get what you're saying. According to the document; on page 20 there is a reference to the R129 which says yellow wire to Pin 7. The blink codes are listed on the left hand side of the grid/matrix, so for example:- 9 blinks would indicate "left rear axle VSS". Is this correct ????

Thanks

Steve

Last edited:
Fromm the docs I have, the pin7 reference for ASR/ABS refers to the round 38-pin connector - do you have this or the 16 pin square plus a lump (!) socket?

WIS says 129 with 119.960 has 16-pin diag with:

Pin3 - KE (which is the CIS Continuous Injection system)
Pin8 - EZL/AKR (ignition system)
Pin4 - MAS
Pin1 - Ground

Does this tally with what you know of your car spec?

It will also have other connectors for "convenience" stuff like A/C and remote locking. No mention of ABS/ASR....is there a ABS/ASR control module present in the module box?

Last edited:
....is there a ABS/ASR control module present in the module box?

If you are refering to the box on RHS (standing at the front of the car) of the engine bay, then yes I think it does. There are several modules in that box including the OVP relay (which I have replaced along with the brake light switch).

And yes I have the 16 pin connector as per the diagram on the 12th page of the doc. I don't think pin 4 has a wire to it, but I will have another look.

Cheers

Steve

Bit of a nightmare at that age - Merc went from no diags, to 16-pin proprietary, to 38-pin proprietary (but with hidden line-outs that did ODB - sort of) and then on to full ODB.

They also cut over to more and more controllers but from serial number ranges rather than new engine model numbers.

Yellow-to-7 definitely refers to the 38-pin (according to WIS anyway!).

The 124 with ASR and the 16-pin socket combo would have codes read from pin 14 (for the electronic accelerator/cruise control and idle speed control as well as ABS & ASR).

You have ASR (yellow triangle in cluster)?

Try 14 and see what you get?
(with a blink tester you will get the codes shown on the left - Star/DAS is needed to get the subcodes shown on the right).

And, to be sure, you definitely don't have the round 38-pin socket (covered by a screw cap)? :)

No I definitely don't have the 38 pin connector. I wish I did as it would seem that this is easier to deal with and hand held testers are plentiful. Ahhh well you can't have everything I suppose !!!

Yes I have the yellow triangle at the top between the two dials on the dash.

There may be other connectors around the engine bay, I'll have to check but I think I found either a 4 or 6 pin connector whilst I was having a route round the other day.

Cheers

Steve

I finally got round to building my blink code reader and have just tried it out.

From pin 7 with the ignition switch in pos 2 (all the dash lights on), I get 8 blinks. When the pins are inserted the LED lights up constantly until the switch is pressed for approx 3 secs, it then goes out and gives 8 blinks, pauses, then lights up again.

From pin 14 the LED is not lit all the time. Press the switch for approx 3 secs and it gives one blink.

Does this mean anything to anyone ?

All help greatly received.

Thanks

Steve

Well I'm glad something is good for a change :bannana:

From reading the various bits of info I can find on the internet, pin 7 with 8 blinks could mean left front wheel speed sensor. But this would depend on whatever spec MB plonked on my car, it would also mean that the pin 7 referred to is the one from a 16 pin diagnostic and not a 38 pin.

Why is my car shrouded in mystery ?

When I rang MB Stockport to ask for a sensor part number they wouldn't give it to me. I asked if it was a secret !!! Apparently it is unless you are an MB dealer. :doh: Every other classic I've owned, I've been able to get part numbers and info from suppliers without any issues whatsoever. :wallbash:

I did eventually get the part numbers I needed from the Russians. Secrets from the Russians, wonders will never cease. Does that make me eligible to join MI6 ?

Cheers

Steve

This the only code I cannot clear, so as the roof/roll bar works OK and was up when I did the test, I would assume that this code is OK.

I have cleared all the other codes from the other pins I could read. Took the car for a spin and didn't see the ASR light for some time. It was preceded by an ABS light which is the opposite way round to how it had been. I must've done some good by clearing the codes as the throttle response seems much crisper !

I have just bought new ABS sensors for the rear axle and ordered one for the front left from euromerc. Just need a front right (anyone know where I can get one from ?) to complete the set. I'm hoping that when these are installed my ABS/ASR problems will be over.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom