• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

BMW/Mercedes

RSTurbo50

Car
BMW 330d M Sport Touring X Drive
Do we have any members on here that are both BMW and Mercedes enthusiasts? Im about to buy an F80 M3 and have had several BMWs over the years including a number of E30 325i Sports, E38 740i Sport, E36 M3, E46 M3, various M135i/M235i, an M140i, 430d, 330d and the list goes on....

Iv had a fair number of Mercs as well including a CLK 320 CDI Sport, E350 CDI Coupe, C55 AMG and a W204 C63 AMG. I genuinely love both brands and have a real enthusiasm for both M Cars and AMG cars. I feel that BMW's have been more reliable in my experience and drive slightly nicer overall but there is nothing quite like driving an AMG Mercedes. Iv come across a fair few BMW haters in my time but would like to know if we have members that have owned both and which brand you prefer?

Iv come across a fair few BMW haters in my time but would like to know if we have members that have owned both and which brand you prefer?
I've owned a couple of AMG's, an E46 M3 and even an Alpina D3 (cracking car for a diesel) and in terms of which brand I prefer, it would be AMG. I like to think of the M3 as a surgical instrument in terms of handling and the AMG's (both really, but more so my C63S) as sledgehammers. Pro's and cons for both but the AMG's shade BMW on build quality and reliability.

Also, without exception, I have yet to find a BMW dealer who has treated me like a human being with money in my pocket - lots of really unpleasant experiences for both buying a car and servicing a car (at a number of franchises).

The only car I regret not buying was an F10 M5 Comp, which was in the frame before I bought my C63S - that is an itch I may well have to scratch before we're all forced to buy EV's. If not a F10, then an F90. Wouldn't bother with the current 3/4 M series cars, kind of smitten with my V8 and I hate the styling route they're going with all the new cars (although the M8 is the exception to that rule - I'd sell an organ for one of those!).

I’ve owned an E39 sport touring and an E38. Generally I prefer BMWs and nearly bought a 535d E60 58 plate, but backed out last minute.

When it was time to purchase a car a few years ago, I realised that there was much more value for money in W212s vs F10, which were more money.

My dad also had/had an E350 so was familiar with it.

It is unfortunately not a ‘fun’ car and more of a limo with lots of torque, not much fun in the bends. Ultimately I can’t complain though as it’s a lot of car for the money and I’ve learned to appreciate it for what it is.

Ultimately I want an M5!

Mainly a Mercedes Benz guy but I do currently own an E24 M6, E28 M5, E38 740IL and E39 540i/6

I've had an E12 528i which was one of my favorite driving cars, E23 745i turbo and drove an E30 318i (M40) through uni back in the 90's

I've had a few of each....can see pluses (and minuses) for both marques. As someone who does all.their own work (except paint and wheel balancing) and works on other peoples cars for pin money, I do have to say that BMW do put a little bit more thought into the fact that one day someone might have to take it apart! I may have just been lucky on the BMs but I usually find on Mercs that I have to remove more parts to get to the actual part I want and I certainly have to take the complete front end off Merc's more often than BMW models. To be fair I only tend to work on earlier models.....up to around 2010 or so (I don't like to play with cars with too many screens or advanced electronics....ok too old to learn!).....but I can't imaging they have more space today!

BMW plastic older than a few years seem to break on touch and you have to budget to replace anything you disassemble to get to the source of the actual problem!

Having said that, I thought BMW parts were expensive until I discovered MB prices…

I’ve had BMW E92 M3 and F82 M4, I’ve also had a W205 C63 Coupe. My favourite of the three was the Merc, although that is reflected in the price. The F82 I much preferred to the E92, the only plus point for the E92 would be the 4.0 V8 engine. I found the interior of the E92 very drab, the interior of the F82 was much better, even more so with the carbon trim which I noticed you have. The M3/M4 is a very capable car and I’m sure you’ll have a lot of fun in it👍

I have had 2 BMW'S and 1 Mercedes.

From the cars i have had the BMW's have had nicer gearboxes and were better to drive.

However i would take that with a pinch of salt as my Mercedes is a FWD Mercedes so not really apples for apples there.

However the Audi FWD's i have owned were also nicer to drive than my FWD Mercedes

Currently run a E93 3.0 MSport (well it is the wife's really). Perfect car for the narrow lanes around N Essex as the CLS is a bit wide and keeps getting pushed into unavoidable potholes by the many white van delivery maniacs that exist in abundance.

CLS for those long journeys - one of the best tourers I have owned, BMW for the local trips - it is not comfortable on long runs

Is the CLS wider than the E 212 its based on?

Is the CLS wider than the E 212 its based on?

Not sure why I would know that as I don't own a 213. What I do know is that it is significantly wider than the E93

Do we have any members on here that are both BMW and Mercedes enthusiasts? Im about to buy an F80 M3 and have had several BMWs over the years including a number of E30 325i Sports, E38 740i Sport, E36 M3, E46 M3, various M135i/M235i, an M140i, 430d, 330d and the list goes on....

Iv had a fair number of Mercs as well including a CLK 320 CDI Sport, E350 CDI Coupe, C55 AMG and a W204 C63 AMG. I genuinely love both brands and have a real enthusiasm for both M Cars and AMG cars. I feel that BMW's have been more reliable in my experience and drive slightly nicer overall but there is nothing quite like driving an AMG Mercedes. Iv come across a fair few BMW haters in my time but would like to know if we have members that have owned both and which brand you prefer?
Currently running a new model Mercedes GLE53 paired with a new model M850i Convertible.The M850i shaded a new V8 SL when it came to it (a decison I didn't regret and I've run a V8 SL and 55 previously); the GLE is one of the best for doing exactly what it says on the tin i.e. an accomplished all-round daily driver. I've run a lot of Mercedes including 63S AMG's in both SUV and Coupe platforms as well as V8 BMW's and there's been variability in both ranges. My worst choice was the addition of a factory ordered new model M135i Xdrive, (the current F40). Shot that dead at 3,500 miles due to its inconsistent ride and handling. I can see why they revised it early in its life. If it matters, BMW has Mercedes dead in the water right now for exterior and interior trim/colours and the ability to select individual options, but that's an MBUK generated problem for buyers. You pays your money......

I have had four Mercs over the last 20 years, one C220Cdi and three E220 CDi's, and have driven over 1.2 million miles in them with no major issues, all run as business cars. Very economical, very comfortable with good luggage space, and the dealer I used was very good over that time bothy with the buying and servicing experience.

My customers loved them and so did I as a business vehicle.

Two years ago after I sold the business I moved over to BMW because Mercedes were moving in a direction I didn't like anymore in terms of styling, and their reliability disappeared with the introduction of adblue.

I decided to return to petrol, something Mercedes don't seem to do that well in terms of engines compared to BMW, hence buying an F10 528i. Many years ago I had an E30 325i Sports and a 520i and a 320i company car and always loved the engines and driving them

The F10 so far has been 100% reliable, has a gearbox to die for, and I can confirm my previous beliefs that Mercedes is the car to be driven in, but BMW is the car to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom