Brabus Diesel Engine upgrades?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
Being a so far very happy owner of a new E320Cdi Avantgarde, I was dismissed as a paltroon for only having 204PS & 500Nm of torque available when my dinner guest boasted of the "massive" increases of performance available if I did but take my vehicle along to Brabus.

They would deprive me of nearly £2k for what as far as I could see is nothing more than an upgraded chip (no other mods at all it seems) which may indeed offer a reasonable uplift in output but sounds damn expensive to me.

So, MB types, what other options are avaialable?

Also, does this not void the warranty?

Originally posted by Satch
Being a so far very happy owner of a new E320Cdi Avantgarde, I was dismissed as a paltroon for only having 204PS & 500Nm of torque available when my dinner guest boasted of the "massive" increases of performance available if I did but take my vehicle along to Brabus.

They would deprive me of nearly £2k for what as far as I could see is nothing more than an upgraded chip (no other mods at all it seems) which may indeed offer a reasonable uplift in output but sounds damn expensive to me.

So, MB types, what other options are avaialable?

Also, does this not void the warranty?

Yes it does void the warranty.

The upgrade on a W211 is on the computer not a chip, as the car is already uprated from the previous E class.

I honestly cannot see the point, the E320CDI is plenty fast enough, and has the admiration of bigger engine members on this forum, see other threads.:bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

Been to Brabus site, one in Wigan aas Gorners.

If the chip has affected the EMU then the warranty is void but brabus will then take over warranty issues and replace under their warranty. If the upgrade chip has no affect on the issue in question..ie unrelated to EMU then MB warranty holds. Ie Mb has to rpove that the chip was responsible for warranty claim...thye can do this by running tests. I would only go for chip if remaining warranty is same as Brabus. On new cars Brabus is 3 years but used its only 12 months.

The additional torque is only 560Nm on 320.
Perf increase better for D3 and D4 for e220 and e270cdi.

Not sure if I should upgrade. had the car delivered today and find it adequate. I would probably upgrade to bigger engine when the warranty nears end.

Satch,

Jimmy on this forum can supply 'tuning boxes' at very good prices, you'd have to ask him how much for a 320 CDi - but I can safely guess it would be substantially cheaper than the Brabus mod.... ;)

Alternatively phone Rob at DMS Automotive:

www.dmsautomotive.com

He put one of the boxes on my 220 CDi which transformed the car, yours may frighten E500s in it's standard form but with a chip you'd be on the tail on AMGs!!:D

As far as the warranty is concerned the boxes should be 'invisible' to the diagnostic tools, but if you've any doubt they can simply be unplugged to return the car to standard.

HTH

R

If its a new E320CDi it cannot be done with a chip, can only be done by re-programming the ECU computer.

I have programmed a Rover75 through the diagnostics port, a bit scary to be honest, you have to download the whole ECU operating sytem and leave the car's computer in its basic form with no operating system so it is disabled. You then have to email the program to somebody who tweaks it and send it back to upload back to the car.

With all the complexities of MB electronics, I think I would leave it to the likes of Brabus. The £2-3K would include insurance I guess.

Jimmy - are you doing anything/can you do anything for the W211 E200 Kompressor?

Interested in the box mod rather than reprogramming.

Cheers
OG

I don't know of anything available yet for the W211, it would most likely be serial programming anyway.

To be honest I will only supply or fit diesel ones now anyway, the gains on petrols are so small it is hard to tell it has been done. And Mercedes petrols are a nightmare to do.

I know it's too late, but my advice for petrol owners would be to buy a bigger engined car in the first place or get a diesel and chip it. I know people will disagree put diesels are easier to tune, cheaper to service and are better to drive.

I'd best get me coat quick me thinks.:devil:

Originally posted by jimmy
I'd best get me coat quick me thinks.:devil:

I'll show you the door . . . :D

Having said that, we saw a C30 CDI AMG Estate in the carpark at the AMG factory (very nice !!) . . and the AMG boys are starting to do some trials with Diesel Engines . . just to test the market at the moment . . . they are not sure which way it will go, but they are certainly making major advances in Diesel Technology and high performance - will be interesting to see how things progress !!

S.

Last edited:
What ever happened to the C30 AMG Diesel Sport Coupe? Did it ever go on sale in Germany?

Originally posted by smartbrabus
What ever happened to the C30 AMG Diesel Sport Coupe? Did it ever go on sale in Germany?
Yep, we saw one at the AMG Centre :D

S.

*sigh* all this engine talk in the general section! Shame on you mods that haven't moved this thread! ;) Moving...

Originally posted by jimmy
I know it's too late, but my advice for petrol owners would be to buy a bigger engined car in the first place or get a diesel and chip it.

Fancied the diesel but wasn't an option for me (Co Car) and bigger petrol engine = nightmare CO2.

Certainly true that Diesels are becoming much more fashionable now...

Thanks everybody. Think I will just stick a decent air filter in and be happy :bannana:

Originally posted by smartbrabus

As Sym said, yes we saw one. However we were also told this was only a limited run and would end production shortly as Deisels are not really what their customers are after. There was much speak of AMG retaining their exclusivity and not getting too common place.

Makes sense to me - you have all the bucks to get an AMG - why choose a oil burner.

Back on topic - tell your "dinner guest" you enjoy your car as is! You obviously aren't power hungry so dont be bullied into it!!

As Richard said DMS are a good and knowledgable company.
I have read an owners review of his chipped W210 320CDI and he claimed that it outperformed his E55 AMG in everyday driving as the torque was more readily available.

A chipped W211 320CDI should go nicely. Can't wait for the 4.0 V8. :devil:

Has anyone had thier Diesel or petrol chipped with Brabus D3/D4/D6?

I'm thinking of D3 for 220Cdi, not that i really need it but will keep me from upgrading my car...and if I do i will lose more in trade in value.

If anyone has then which insurance company have they approached..so far only royal-sunallaince have quoted around 250 quid more than std insurance with 300 quid excess. The chip I think will give me at least 2 years warranty which i will confirm with brabus shortly.

Has the performance upgrade been worth it, when u come to resell will their be any problems?

Superturbos

Hi,

Look at the following thread. Ignore the lingo, but look at the dynocharts and fotos:

http://www.mersuforum.net/

Forum: Tekniikka

Thread: 300D Super-Turbo 386 hp

This is the forum of Finnish MB enthusiasts, and the guys in question have squeezed 386 horses out of 300 turbodiesel engine sitting in 190 body, see pictures of this and other projects in this thread.

They share a opinion that Brabus is good for body tuning, but the engine needs Real Men.

Markku,

Care to summarise what they found?

Suprturbos

Not necessary to translate, just look thru the thread and click the links = pictures and dynocharts.

We also brought up Timo Makinen. Tommi Makinen, Mika Hakkinen, Kimi Raikkonen etc. in Finland.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom