• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Brake pads and disc genuine or brembo

344mm on the front of my e350.

Never going to justify them when a 350 CDI gets 322 x 32 and a smaller lighter SLK with a 2.1 OM651 derv gets 344 x 32 .

A family car that could tow , be full up of family and an estate boot , 295mm what we're they smoking ?
I'm not justifying anything.
I am just correcting your statement regarding larger diameter rear disks vs. front disks.

Comparing brake sizes on one model against another is a completely different point.

Not a direct answer on the specific question, but I hope this helps.

Give MB Grangemouth or MB Newcastle a call and see how much they will do the MB pads for; there might be a saving vs what you've been quoted.

I've just ordered ATE ceramic for my w212, as I'm sick of the brake dust thrown off in huge quantities by MB pads.
Hello,how your new ATE CERAMIC pads? Do they squeak?

Hello,how your new ATE CERAMIC pads? Do they squeak?
I'm happy with the performance-wise, but I'm guessing they are slightly harder than normal? (resin?) brakes.

I haven't noticed any change at all, except slamming the anchors of from an indicated 85-90mph. Not a normal concern, but I went to France this summer and on the 130kph Autoroutes, plenty of car and truck drivers are happy to pull out of lane 1 into lane 2 (of two) at 50-60mph whilst you're about to overtake at 85mph. The difference I've 'noticed' is it feels like the brakes are harder and get a very slight 'hard, grinding' feel when slamming the brakes on at very high speed.
I say 'noticed' because it's entirely possible I haven't tested braking in that manner with the Merc branded pads because I'm not one for hooning down the outside lane in the UK at 130kph and I don't notice anything like the crazy pulling into the outside lane like I experienced in France.

Dust is definitely less. There is dust on the front wheel, but I'm not so sure if this is all pads, or dry dusty summer roads (yet to find time to clean it!).

A family car that could tow , be full up of family and an estate boot , 295mm what we're they smoking ?

Do the brakes actually fade when towing with a car fitted with 295mm discs?

The point to keep in mind is that many of the 'upgraded' braking system components are meant to assist with heat dissipation, and so the improved performance of these components will only become applicable if the original brake were getting too hot in the first place.

(I say 'many' because there are other characteristics of the braking system that can be adjusted by upgraded components, such as optimal temperature range, braking rate, etc, as well as brake dust, noise level, and aesthetics)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom