Brakes grinding noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model 3 LR, Model X /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
My brakes are making a loud grinding noise when I brake at low speeds to a stop, such as when manoeuvring around my parking area.

I have had my rear brake pads replaced before, and I was told at the time the fronts had around 40% left, so I assume they have worn out now...

ECP have a good offer going on at the moment, and I have been looking at the brake pads, they seem to be going for aroundn £45 for ATE pads, and £68 for ATE Ceramic pads...

I hear that ATE is the mercedes OEM pads? Do merc use the same supplier? As I dont want to skimp on the brakes.

Brembo pads are cheaper, are Brembos not supposed to be superior?

Cheers
Abs

I have the brembo pads. Have noticed no difference whatsoever compared to the Mercedes ones.

The grinding noise is likely the pad backing plate touching the disk. If you're not careful it could ruin the disk and worse, be fired out and you'll lose brakes totally as there's a lot of slack before the piston touches the disk. I had this happen in my RX8 on the way back from ECP with new brakes in the boot!

I have the brembo pads. Have noticed no difference whatsoever compared to the Mercedes ones.

The grinding noise is likely the pad backing plate touching the disk. If you're not careful it could ruin the disk and worse, be fired out and you'll lose brakes totally as there's a lot of slack before the piston touches the disk. I had this happen in my RX8 on the way back from ECP with new brakes in the boot!

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply. I have a quote of £115 from PCS ages ago for the front pads with parts, labour, vat which I was happy with...

They are a bit far however, anyone know how much labour is likely to be charged by an indie for replacing these if I provided the pads?

Are the ATE ones the genuine merc ones then?

Cheers
Abs

Also I have no brake pad light on the dash, I assume previous owner didnt fit the sensor when he changed the pads? As surely it must have had brake pad sensor fitted from factory?

Cheers

Contacted Terry @ Wayne Gates, I know he will help me out, highly recommended to everyone.

Yes, they have a sensor both front and rear.

If it wasn't fitted, you would a constant warning light unless it has been by-passed in the wiring.

There's a sensor front and rear, but usually only one per side, figuring that both sides will wear roughly evenly.

I'm not sure that's right about the sensor. They only have two wires, and how it works is, when the pad wears right down, the sensor meets the disk and that wears the plastic of the sensor away. At some point, two metal prongs inside the sensor touch the disk, making a circuit and the car knows the pads are down.

I can only think that not having fitted the sensor would be the same as a non-triggered sensor. The car just doesn't get any continuity through the sensor and it appears it's not been tripped.

Only speculation though.

No idea on cost I've never paid for brakes to be replaced, it's a quick driveway job providing you've got a socket set.

disc

CLK dont keep driving it as this will happen . But i dont think you will.This chap said his was grinding for some time . lol

Last edited:
CLK dont keep driving it as this will happen . But i dont think you will.This chap said his was grinding for some time . lol

Oh my gosh! Tbh I just checked the fronts they look fine just tiny grinding noise when coming to a stop. Will get pads swapped this Thursday.

There's a sensor front and rear, but usually only one per side, figuring that both sides will wear roughly evenly.

I'm not sure that's right about the sensor. They only have two wires, and how it works is, when the pad wears right down, the sensor meets the disk and that wears the plastic of the sensor away. At some point, two metal prongs inside the sensor touch the disk, making a circuit and the car knows the pads are down.

I can only think that not having fitted the sensor would be the same as a non-triggered sensor. The car just doesn't get any continuity through the sensor and it appears it's not been tripped.

Only speculation though.

No idea on cost I've never paid for brakes to be replaced, it's a quick driveway job providing you've got a socket set.

Yeh I think what your saying sounds about right, although I had the rears changed at PCS and I reckon they'd have told me so I guess there won't be on in rears? Or they just fitted it?

Will see what terry says

Only speculation though.

Some cars do not have a sensor on the rear pads, just the front. This needs to be checked against the specific make and model.

Oh my gosh! Tbh I just checked the fronts they look fine just tiny grinding noise when coming to a stop. Will get pads swapped this Thursday.

You can very clearly see if your pads & discs are worn well before it goes to the point of the photo above :D

Is this the noise that you experience when the car is moving really really slow, for example just before you stop at a traffic light? Does it get better as the brakes warm up? If so - that's absolutely normal. Can you make a quick video?

As for brand - both Brembo and ATE are top quality. I use ATE, because they're soft, gentle on the rotors, very quiet and comfortable. I don't really care if they wear out a tad faster or if I have to wash the wheels more often. I believe that if you want to go with ceramic pads, you also need ceramic rotors. And then there's the small issue that you'll need to brake harder before they reach a certain temperature and start to perform to their full potential. That's a deal breaker for me, because I want the most predictable and safe vehicle.

Last edited:
Hi,
Our rear pads were changed on Saturday. Brakes were really squeaking for the past few weeks.
Rear has brake wear sensor on right hand side - these pads were fine but the near side started grinding just as I arrived at the garage!

IMG_3008.jpg
Discs were refaced and new pads and sensor were fitted!
Nearside must have been binding - as pads had only lasted 8000km!

Cheers
Steve

You can very clearly see if your pads & discs are worn well before it goes to the point of the photo above :D

Is this the noise that you experience when the car is moving really really slow, for example just before you stop at a traffic light? Does it get better as the brakes warm up? If so - that's absolutely normal. Can you make a quick video?

As for brand - both Brembo and ATE are top quality. I use ATE, because they're soft, gentle on the rotors, very quiet and comfortable. I don't really care if they wear out a tad faster or if I have to wash the wheels more often. I believe that if you want to go with ceramic pads, you also need ceramic rotors. And then there's the small issue that you'll need to brake harder before they reach a certain temperature and start to perform to their full potential. That's a deal breaker for me, because I want the most predictable and safe vehicle.

They make a slight grinding noise just as the car has come to a stop, sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't... I was told around 5-6,000 miles ago the front pads were 50% worn. Does 5-6k sound about right?

They should still have some life left, but it depends on your driving style.

Pads changed today at Wayne Gates and problem sorted, service was excellent as always. Highly recommend Terry for any work you need on your Merc :)

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom