• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Brand new Jaguar XJ

An interesting view point but you do have to look at when its parked up on the drive, when you fill it up, or when your going towards it.

If my car is not being driven, then it is in the (dark!) garage.
Fill ups happen about once every 800 miles:)
I have never passed my own car going the other way!:rolleyes:

I fully understand that I am in a minority, but as an engineer I can never understand why people put such a premium on form over function!:o

If my car is not being driven, then it is in the (dark!) garage.
Fill ups happen about once every 800 miles:)
I have never passed my own car going the other way!:rolleyes:

I fully understand that I am in a minority, but as an engineer I can never understand why people put such a premium on form over function!:o

No, but you pass other S classes knowing thats what you drive.

Aside from this, the jag from the outside looks like space and light may be a premium in there.

The new 3 litre diesel engine will better your car MPG wise. The outgoing XJ 2.7TDVi was a frugal, agile car.

over 40 mpg for the diesel - not bad for a car of this size..........

Now looking for a bank to rob - now I really like this car

Looks nice and I like the inside.

Makes me smile how you say your looking outside the car and rarely look at it?

Why choose an S class, surely there were a few cars out their far cheaper that would do everything the S would do. Would you feel the same way looking out of a Skoda Superb.....

I think not, I somehow think the S was chosen more than just what its like inside looking out :)

I was hoping that the front would be less XF. There's no doubting the strong interior styling - take a look at the XF interior now and it looks sparse in comparison.

The comments made by Ian Callum that the design of the rear is intended to be challenging - Chris Bangle said that of the 7 series...it got toned down. Yours for £8k.

Why choose an S class, surely there were a few cars out their far cheaper that would do everything the S would do. Would you feel the same way looking out of a Skoda Superb.....

I think not, I somehow think the S was chosen more than just what its like inside looking out :)

That argument simply won't stck up. The S class has been voted best saloon in the world for what it does and how it does it. Not for its looks alone. Borrow one. It is an awesome car with no equals.

But I agree that looks matter. I do like a car to look pleasing. My E gives me pleasure every time I look at it. Gorgeous lines from any angle.

Luxury cars should have a radiator strongly indentified with the marque. The front of the the latest Jaguars could be Hyundais. And reliablity reports so far are quite dreadful.

Jag can't win it seems.

Is that not true of MB as well?

The old XJ was very distinctive and looked very very old fashioned. So anything that looks modern isn't an increment but a revolution.

The new XJ to my eye looks like a cross between a XF and Bentley Continental. It looks a much cleaner and less fussy design than the W204 and W212.

But I agree that looks matter. I do like a car to look pleasing. My E gives me pleasure every time I look at it. Gorgeous lines from any angle.

It passes the lookback test as you walk away from it. Especially if newly cleaned.:cool:

Over three years on I still look back.

I personally think Jag has got a fantastic range now, and im really inclined to look more into the marque..

The front doesnt work as well as the back, but then the back does have resebelence to the citreon.. hmmm

the lines of the car are very forward thinking, and i think this car could steal the hearts of would be s class and bmw owners.. some just dont want a very bulky car, and this is streamlined, as well as spacious and striking..

I think, the market niche it will attract is those of the old 1980's s class.. simple clean lines, spacious and desirable..

And realiabilty has been up with at the top recently..

I have owned a Skoda and have looked at the Superb! I spent most of the 90's in Lexus. It looked like a taxi, but was the most refined car of its time, worked brilliantly and had little or no image.
I worked with Ian Callum back in the TWR Jaguar days. Whilst he took an XJS and turned it into a very handsome Aston Martin, I was getting Jaguars to win races. It's been ongoing friendly banter since then if function or form comes first. Both are subjective, but form more easily measurable...

2 years too late, they're all bust, all the money spent. Nothing left, nada, not a bean, nowt...zilch.

Plan B - now looking for a recently retired bank chairman to rob...... any suggestions? ;)

I forgot - robbing is against the law, isn't it? ..... Shame it doesn't apply to banks themselves

Last edited:
I personally think Jag has got a fantastic range now, and im really inclined to look more into the marque..

The front doesnt work as well as the back, but then the back does have resebelence to the citreon.. hmmm

the lines of the car are very forward thinking, and i think this car could steal the hearts of would be s class and bmw owners.. some just dont want a very bulky car, and this is streamlined, as well as spacious and striking..

I think, the market niche it will attract is those of the old 1980's s class.. simple clean lines, spacious and desirable..

And realiabilty has been up with at the top recently..

You'd better take a look at the Driver Power survey by AutoExpress where the Jag finishes 85th for reliability out of 100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom