BT remove 512kb ADSL distance restrictions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamC230K

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A3 & S4 quattro
You're welcome.

P.S. Just found out I can have up to 2Megs :D Still - 512k better than nowt 'eh ;)

finally... thanks

Hello gents,

finally 2Mb.. I was told it was going to be December 2004..!! It has closer..
The problem now is how intellegent are the providers going to be in providing us with upgrades ..??
My ISP is not bad but you need to tell them about what is going on with BT !!!

Thanks for the news ..!!! :bannana:

My ISP has stated tthat I am not entitled to have 2mb because am outside 6km range..!!!

BT are always the last to react.

I have 2MB synchronous DSL from EasyNet and it flies! EasyNet also offer 8MB ADSL. Also, there are no restrictions on its use. ie encryption or download limits unlike some providers!

Still it is a welcome thing that the masses may now be able to get a decent internet connection. Its about time that BT realised that not everyone lives in a town or a city.

First_Benz said:
My ISP has stated tthat I am not entitled to have 2mb because am outside 6km range..!!!

According to BT you will only get 1mb and 2mb if you're inside the the 6km limit so you're stuck with 512 for now I'm afraid.

My Dad's pleased as he will finally get broadband in his remote North Yorks village next April :bannana:

I'm gonna be happy if I can 512 - you guys complaining about 1 or 2 MB are in a different world!

If do get 512 now though, I will chance an application for 1MB afterwards and see what happens.

Anyway, I only placed my BB order Friday morning and BT have just been out to measure the noise on my line. The engineer was not giving anything away and seemed totally unaware of the change in policy for 512 ADSL.

He did say however my estate does have a cable run problem and that planners are currently investigating.

Bottlenecks

Was earwigging on a conversation involving a couple of the younger lads at work, it seems that even though BT can give some people faster info i.e. 2 meg , there's still a bottleneck with "upload" or "download" capability,( not sure which one he meant - maybe both? ) but application wise he was talking about only being able to host & play competition games over the net with "only" 8 people because of this, wheras some people in other contries can "Host" a game with more players than this.

Is this bottleneck in the pc as it were, and should ask for a certain spec on any new machines we buy next?

(they also talked about ?frame refresh rates but i was lost by then)

Not sure of the tech language here but could anyone expain it all including implications /ramifications for this faster, future in plain english? :confused:

thanks

Steve

Last edited:
The bottleneck isn't in the PC. Its the connection, or more specifically, the upload speed. During gameplay dual way speed is more important, since you have to send 'location' information to the central server. If you are hosting a game, then you have to send / receive information and process it.

Broadband is designed for the end user, in that we generally have far more coming to us, than we transmit. Gameplay is slightly different in that it requires a dual speed connection of similar rates (to be fully effective)

Typically in the UK upload speed is 256kps, download can be 512kps, 1024kps (1MB) or 2048kps (2MB). Its not quite those numbers due to error checking, but you can see how the downstream side is a lot higher than the upload rate.

In other countries, both the upload and the download rate are usually the same - hence you can host more people if you are a 'server' for games, and you can see how it would be an advantage.

Frame refresh rates - fps (frames per second), in other words how many screen updates can be displayed in a given timescale. Put it this way - the more the better. TV uses 50 (US is 60) per second, you can't tell the difference.

Last edited:
Have just got an email from BT to say my Broadband application has failed as I am too far from the Exchange!!!

ROTLMAO.

Nice one ... about time too !! Welcome back to the fast overtaking lane !! ;)

S.

I went to change my BT 512k BB account to direct debit from my current account, and discovered that they have changed all their pricing policies, and for the same price I'm paying now, I can have a 1MB line!

Naturally I've gone for the upgrade which should be implemented on the 20th.

RESULT :bannana:

GrahamC230K said:
I have 512 woohoo

Being a bit nosey here Graham, how much were you spending on internet phone calls each month ?
Cutting them out will mean your upgrade may only cost you pennies.

PJH said:
Being a bit nosey here Graham, how much were you spending on internet phone calls each month ?
Cutting them out will mean your upgrade may only cost you pennies.

£15 flat rate - unlimited dial up via freephone number - BT.

Paying £11 extra for ADSL is fine with me!

GrahamC230K said:
£15 flat rate - unlimited dial up via freephone number - BT.

Paying £11 extra for ADSL is fine with me!

BT are not the cheapest around for broadband.

Take a look at this site; http://www.adslguide.org.uk/isps/summarylist.asp?order=tco512k

In my experience BT are not the best either. They tend to have download limits and configure their routers to hang up periodically. If you go for a service that gives you a fixed static IP address then you can access your home computer from just about anywhere in the world if you are running XP. Just a thought! Good luck.

Alfie said:
BT are not the cheapest around for broadband.

Take a look at this site; http://www.adslguide.org.uk/isps/summarylist.asp?order=tco512k

In my experience BT are not the best either. They tend to have download limits and configure their routers to hang up periodically. If you go for a service that gives you a fixed static IP address then you can access your home computer from just about anywhere in the world if you are running XP. Just a thought! Good luck.

I didn't choose on price, and had a previous BT ADSL connection at another address, but thanks anyway!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom