• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

BT Telephone Problem

And your military rank and address...

And your military rank and address...

They also read all your posts on here....

FOR THE RECORD, I NEVER SAID THAT THE CHINESE ARE FLOODING US WITH CHEAP CRAPPY EVS.

I use my landline to call my mobile everytime I misplace it. 😁🫣😊

But seriously, for those who need a landline for the internet they may as well plug a phone into it. It’s doing no harm whatsoever.

It might be doing harm.

The only call in living memory I had on the landline in this place was someone pretending to be from BT explaining that my internet had been "hacked" and that I needed to do something about it urgently. I spent quite a while following their instructions before I realised I was being spoofed or whatever the term is and told them I was going to call back on he appropriate number.

In retrospect it was quite clever; as noone EVER called me on it I assumed it must have been urgent.

Doh.

It might be doing harm.

The only call in living memory I had on the landline in this place was someone pretending to be from BT explaining that my internet had been "hacked" and that I needed to do something about it urgently. I spent quite a while following their instructions before I realised I was being spoofed or whatever the term is and told them I was going to call back on he appropriate number.

In retrospect it was quite clever; as noone EVER called me on it I assumed it must have been urgent.

Doh.

They call me also on my mobile.

And yet when (the moment I dread) I have to speak to Virgin next month to renew their very good BB service, they will insist that I keep their phone service (unplugged over two years ago) and their TV box ( unplugged over one year ago).

I hate (and I mean hate) talking to their overseas contact centre
Not the people there, but the culture, the scripts, the targets they have and all the BS we have to go through.

He does have insurance, I suspect he probably hasn't had this particular issue before, and the objective is to lose internet access for the shortest possible time, so best to try to ensure that everybody has their ducks in a row before we start.
Can't you just use your mobile as an internet hotspot for a few hours?

If you position your phone next to a window around the house, carefully trying different angles and orientations, you might be surprised at what speed you can get.

I'm able to (if I get the phone in the correct circa 2 degree arc) get around 120MBPS from my phone as a hotspot in my parent's phone signal blackspot. Other orientations give around 15MBPS.

Can't you just use your mobile as an internet hotspot for a few hours?

If you position your phone next to a window around the house, carefully trying different angles and orientations, you might be surprised at what speed you can get.

I'm able to (if I get the phone in the correct circa 2 degree arc) get around 120MBPS from my phone as a hotspot in my parent's phone signal blackspot. Other orientations give around 15MBPS.

I think he is OK with a few hours outage, his point was that if he has to get BT to attend site to disconnect the wires prior to his contractor replacing the facade, then call BT to attend site again after the contractor left, he's potentially looking at days - or even weeks? - without Internet.

See post 6...;)

Virgin (not a virgin) dug up all the roads and pavements round our way , gave everyone a little black plastic trap door on the pavement just outside their property.

The uptake has not been good, during my frequent walks around my area I estimate about 80% are not connected. In fact my neighbour took them up on their introduction offer and have since had it disconnected.

It's easy to see if the thing is connected as most (if not all) have the last bit of fibre line running (to the house) on the surface , or poorly shielded/buried .

I have never had the desire , or need to have it connected.

PS . We still have a landline , when it rings we all look at each other wondering who on earth could that be !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom