Buying a DA

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is there an opportunity here for one of our more 'expert' members to give/offer some kind of tutorial?

I for one would like to know more about this but a well aware that there is a vast amount of skill required if one is to avoid destroying anything.

There are plenty of 'how to's' on You Tube but my advice would be to get a panel from a salvage yard to practise developing your technique before letting yourself loose on your pride and joy! It is important that you avoid building up heat from friction as it is this which causes the problems. Have a spray bottle of water to hand to keep the polishing pad damp as this will dry out very quickly, particularly when the sun is out. Also, avoid going over swage lines / creases on the panels.

Thank you Mercy Me. I was thinking more of an 'all in' tutorial. What compounds, colour pads and what they signify, What is pressure as opposed to light weight. I can not explain it very well but I know what I mean in my terms ;^)

Strange I was thinking about this as I have attempted to get the garage in some sort of order,on the positive side this spring clean has helped a couple of members as for the first time I have sold stuff for their merc's as I came across stuff that is of little use to me now,but in a large box I found a nearly new polisher,now it is not orbital it looks like a large angle grinder but has much lower speeds plus mops and discs,what I was thinking was is there anybody who runs a course on how to use this properly,the thought of actually starting this up and using it on a car scares the s--t out of me ,I must have had this for about 6 years and never dared to use it,I would have thought it was a money making idea for a skilled body technician.

My "toy" arrived earlier today. I've also brought a g3 clay mit from Halfords so I'm all ready for the weekend. This is either going to go great or really bad but we will soon find out :banana:

20180524_011522.jpg

They are spare brushes for the motor, keep them tucked away but you may never need them.

The new toy looks great btw i'm amazingly jealous!.

Has anyone recommended using a bug and tar and a fallout remover like AF iron out in your cleaning process before you start polishing?.

Just remember preparation is key and it's worth a full paint decontamination for starting polishing.

I done my dads car and got it so clean he walked past it as he didn't think it was his lol.

I told him that's the difference between detailing your car and washing (cleaning i hate saying washing) it :cool:

The new toy looks great btw i'm amazingly jealous!.

Has anyone recommended using a bug and tar and a fallout remover like AF iron out in your cleaning process before you start polishing?.

Just remember preparation is key and it's worth a full paint decontamination for starting polishing.

I done my dads car and got it so clean he walked past it as he didn't think it was his lol.

I told him that's the difference between detailing your car and washing (cleaning i hate saying washing) it :cool:

Thanks hopefully I get results which are as good.. don't have any fallout remover and to be honest I've spent a little to much already haha. I've read somewhere that washing with washing up liquid may be a good idea prior to paint correction as it will strip off any wax which is on the car.

Thanks hopefully I get results which are as good.. don't have any fallout remover and to be honest I've spent a little to much already haha. I've read somewhere that washing with washing up liquid may be a good idea prior to paint correction as it will strip off any wax which is on the car.

That's fair enough I think every mercedes owner can relate to spending "a little too much" :rolleyes:.

If you do get curious it's around £10 and almost worth it just for the novelty of watching all the little red spots appear on the paintwork and seeing the wheels "bleeding".

Good luck mate I can't wait to see pictures when you're done.

Looks like you've done a cracking job. Problem is friends and family will be wanting your services now to do theirs.

I was "volunteered" to do a few.

Looks like you've done a cracking job. Problem is friends and family will be wanting your services now to do theirs.

I was "volunteered" to do a few.

Thank you Crustyclam I spent the night before watching a youtube user called ammonyc. He really knows how to get his point across.

That's exactly what I've been doing this weekend with the same polisher, bought from the same guys!

I bought it with the Meguiars Microfer system on the recommendation of Tim at - Clean Your Car.

Snow foam, Clay Bar, Wash, Meguiars Microfiber Compound followed by Meguiars Microfiber Finishing Wax.

Wished I'd bought one years ago.

Picture not the best as taken on an old iPhone but the difference in real life is amazing. It has taken out all the minor scuffs and scratches.

41526575325_1e463c493d_k.jpg

what I was thinking was is there anybody who runs a course on how to use this properly,the thought of actually starting this up and using it on a car scares the s--t out of me ,I must have had this for about 6 years and never dared to use it,I would have thought it was a money making idea for a skilled body technician.

Training Courses For Enthusiasts & Detailing Professionals

They're based at Brands Hatch, entrance round the back of Brands not on the A20, so not too far from essex possibly!

Both look great!

I'm resisting the urge to replace my DA with one that hasn't sanded a few hundred forklifts, most of my house, a fence and several machine and pump trucks at work ! and it's only a Sealy it should have died 8 years ago.

I got my hopes up last year when it wouldn't release the backing pad and turned to the missus and said i'll "try" to fix it .... and did :wallbash:

That's exactly what I've been doing this weekend with the same polisher, bought from the same guys!

I bought it with the Meguiars Microfer system on the recommendation of Tim at - Clean Your Car.

Snow foam, Clay Bar, Wash, Meguiars Microfiber Compound followed by Meguiars Microfiber Finishing Wax.

Wished I'd bought one years ago.

Picture not the best as taken on an old iPhone but the difference in real life is amazing. It has taken out all the minor scuffs and scratches.

41526575325_1e463c493d_k.jpg

I have the same system DAS6PRO/Meguiars Microfibre also bought from the guys at CYC who are a short distance from me. I got excellent results on my previous black Chrysler 300C and am about to start on my S350L in the next day or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom