Buying dilemma: CLS/E55 vs SL55 vs R171 SLK55…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Oh yeah, it's awesome when you're in the mood and have the space to play :)

Yeah, that effortless urge is something I'm definitely keen on :)

I think owning two supercharged V8s would feel like quite the achievement :D And obviously I would have to mod a 55K, because it's the done thing ;)

Modifying the M113K is a very-well trodden path on this forum so plenty of knowledge! :banana:

R171 SLK55 = Pocket Rocket
SL55 = Rocket Powered Barge.

R171 SLK55 = great fun, but needs an additional 50+BHP

Fun in the SL55 = 2 mile runway chasing 200mph.

Frustrations...the ESP in the SLK / the 5 speed gearbox in the SL.

Get a Celtic Tuning remap on the SLK - an extra 40 bhp for £300. ;)

CLS55 is the best choice if you need 4 seats
SL55 if not

the 5 speed gearbox in the SL.

Yeah but just remember 7g couldn't be used as it wasn't up to the job of what the E55/CLS55/SL55/SLR/S65 chucked out! :banana:

Supercharger or go home. Simples :D ....he says with a C63 and a A35 :wallbash:

Out of all the cars I've got. I usually pick up the keys to a CLS55, if i'm not out on my bike and I ride it in all seasons. I do like the SLK if the roof is down as otherwise it feels claustrophobic to me. I'm not a speed freak but I like a car like a V8, to sound like a V8, a bike to sound nice, etc.

I'd like them all given a choice. Take your choice and enjoy as you can always change it :)

My SLK has ivory leather interior but has a solid roof and yet does not feel claustrophobic , can imagine a black interior might be a bit different. Had an ML before but do not find the SLK too much of a problem, each to their own

Supercharger or go home. Simples :D ....he says with a C63 and a A35 :wallbash:

I agree :) I've already got one supercharged V8 so the opportunity to own another seems like one I am almost obliged to take :D

Out of all the cars I've got. I usually pick up the keys to a CLS55, if i'm not out on my bike and I ride it in all seasons. I do like the SLK if the roof is down as otherwise it feels claustrophobic to me. I'm not a speed freak but I like a car like a V8, to sound like a V8, a bike to sound nice, etc.

I'd like them all given a choice. Take your choice and enjoy as you can always change it :)

I'm strongly leaning towards the CLS55 - the lure of the supercharger is irresistible, it's cheaper to buy than an SL55 and should be easier on the wallet, and I've long admired it and wanted one :)

^ And right on time, this pops up.
Mercedes CLS55 AMG Designo 2006

I'd seriously look at this for the interior alone. The mileage is very reasonable too.

Yes, thanks for bringing that one up :) I spotted that on the classifieds section here, and actually remember seeing it when the current owner first advertised it here back in 2018. I like the colour combo but it's a little light on options and is missing quite a few things I have on my wishlist, but that wouldn't put me off at the right price :)

Been up for sale a while now that one. It looks decent so wonder why it hasn't sold. I did make an offer to buy it before Xmas last year for not much less than the now current sale price but the seller declined my offer. I thought it was a fair and strong offer at the time in the current climate/marketplace.

MOT is due next week on that one as well.

Been up for sale a while now that one. It looks decent so wonder why it hasn't sold. I did make an offer to buy it before Xmas last year for not much less than the now current sale price but the seller declined my offer. I thought it was a fair and strong offer at the time in the current climate/marketplace.

Out of interest how much did you offer?

Yes, thanks for bringing that one up :) I spotted that on the classifieds section here, and actually remember seeing it when the current owner first advertised it here back in 2018. I like the colour combo but it's a little light on options and is missing quite a few things I have on my wishlist, but that wouldn't put me off at the right price :)

What's missing from that one that you would ideally like? Just curious :)

What's missing from that one that you would ideally like? Just curious :)

19s - If I buy a car that's not on 19s I'm going to go out and buy some, so if I'm looking at something on 18s I'd like it to be cheaper so I have some money left over for new wheels.
HK - I like good car audio, it doesn't have to be amazing, but I've experienced plenty of terrible systems from BMW and it'd be nice to have the good one in the CLS!
Dynamic seats - I don't know how often I'd use them, maybe never, but it seems like a nice option to have!

Being honest, none of these are a deal-breaker: wheels are easy enough to change, it looks like you can drop some better speakers into the standard housings without too much effort, and I probably wouldn't end up using the dynamic/massage functions much at all, but it's also about having a car that feels more complete if that makes sense?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom