Buying dilemma: CLS/E55 vs SL55 vs R171 SLK55…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes, thanks for bringing that one up :) I spotted that on the classifieds section here, and actually remember seeing it when the current owner first advertised it here back in 2018. I like the colour combo but it's a little light on options and is missing quite a few things I have on my wishlist, but that wouldn't put me off at the right price :)

In amongst the plethora of black & silver cars, you would be hard pushed to find one in such a colour, esp with that interior :)

Personally I would opt for the exclusivity of that colour combo coupled with the fact it seems to have been very well maintained, over some options you will probably make little use of. Thats coming from someone who loves the options on cars and owned a black CLS 55 with a cashmere beige interior.;)

In amongst the plethora of black & silver cars, you would be hard pushed to find one in such a colour, esp with that interior :)

Personally I would opt for the exclusivity of that colour combo coupled with the fact it seems to have been very well maintained, over some options you will probably make little use of. Thats coming from someone who loves the options on cars and owned a black CLS 55 with a cashmere beige interior.;)

That is a fair point :) When I come back from holiday in mid-April I'll start looking for a car seriously, so if this one is still around it'll go on my list :)

19s - If I buy a car that's not on 19s I'm going to go out and buy some, so if I'm looking at something on 18s I'd like it to be cheaper so I have some money left over for new wheels.
HK - I like good car audio, it doesn't have to be amazing, but I've experienced plenty of terrible systems from BMW and it'd be nice to have the good one in the CLS!
Dynamic seats - I don't know how often I'd use them, maybe never, but it seems like a nice option to have!

Being honest, none of these are a deal-breaker: wheels are easy enough to change, it looks like you can drop some better speakers into the standard housings without too much effort, and I probably wouldn't end up using the dynamic/massage functions much at all, but it's also about having a car that feels more complete if that makes sense?

As you state - you can change wheels.

However, I would imagine the sound system in that CLS would be the same as it was in my E55K i.e. not HK.

I did add a subwoofer and amp myself cutting into the rear door high levels but in all honesty, it wasn't necessary in hindsight.

I found the speakers to be very good quality on inspection and they did produce a very good sound.

I had read they used the same speakers in the standard and HK systems but the HK amp was missing although you still got an amp in the E55K (AGW).

So maybe try that before you decide against and as you say, you can upgrade later.

I'd prefer a better car and change the things you want than potentially-buying something a bit pony with the right options.

Although I have no knowledge on that particular car but I am assuming it's been looked after albeit caveat emptor!

19s - If I buy a car that's not on 19s I'm going to go out and buy some, so if I'm looking at something on 18s I'd like it to be cheaper so I have some money left over for new wheels.
HK - I like good car audio, it doesn't have to be amazing, but I've experienced plenty of terrible systems from BMW and it'd be nice to have the good one in the CLS!
Dynamic seats - I don't know how often I'd use them, maybe never, but it seems like a nice option to have!

Being honest, none of these are a deal-breaker: wheels are easy enough to change, it looks like you can drop some better speakers into the standard housings without too much effort, and I probably wouldn't end up using the dynamic/massage functions much at all, but it's also about having a car that feels more complete if that makes sense?

Another forum member is selling his CLS55. It has HK & 19s but no massage function.

2006 CLS55 AMG Silver 85k miles

As you state - you can change wheels.

However, I would imagine the sound system in that CLS would be the same as it was in my E55K i.e. not HK.

I did add a subwoofer and amp myself cutting into the rear door high levels but in all honesty, it wasn't necessary in hindsight.

I found the speakers to be very good quality on inspection and they did produce a very good sound.

I had read they used the same speakers in the standard and HK systems but the HK amp was missing although you still got an amp in the E55K (AGW).

So maybe try that before you decide against and as you say, you can upgrade later.

I'd prefer a better car and change the things you want than potentially-buying something a bit pony with the right options.

Although I have no knowledge on that particular car but I am assuming it's been looked after albeit caveat emptor!

On the CLS the HK adds two speakers plus the amp, but I wouldn't be in a huge rush to do any upgrades tbh. I'd probably just start off with some speakers and go from there if I felt like I needed more :) I do agree that buying the right car is the most important thing, and I always modify everything I own anyway :D

Another forum member is selling his CLS55. It has HK & 19s but no massage function.

2006 CLS55 AMG Silver 85k miles

Thanks, I saw that, but I just can't do grey leather, it's not for me.

On the CLS the HK adds two speakers plus the amp, but I wouldn't be in a huge rush to do any upgrades tbh. I'd probably just start off with some speakers and go from there if I felt like I needed more :) I do agree that buying the right car is the most important thing, and I always modify everything I own anyway :D

Yes, two naff tweeters but also the crap HK sub too all on the parcel shelf in one module IIRC (although at least that gives you the wiring to use - no HK and no wiring for the sub!).

That's why I added the sub and it did sound pretty decent.

Sounds like you have decided then!

Yes, two naff tweeters but also the crap HK sub too all on the parcel shelf in one module IIRC (although at least that gives you the wiring to use - no HK and no wiring for the sub!).

That's why I added the sub and it did sound pretty decent.

Sounds like you have decided then!

Ah, thanks for explaining where the extra speakers are :) I'd see how I got on with the non-HK setup if I bought a car without, in the M3 I spend a lot of time listening to the exhaust and the supercharger instead of the radio :D

And I'm 99% set on a CLS55 for sure - I can't not buy a supercharged V8 at this price point when presented with the opportunity!

Are you sure that you don't want an SL55? They're quite lovely

I would love one, but I feel like now is not the right time :) I think if I had a garage where I could keep it to help minimise roof leaks, and more money/less cars to look after to have more funds available to deal with ABC repairs, and a bigger budget to buy the best one I can, then yes absolutely :) But I think buying one at the bottom end of the price range and having it parked outside won't do it any good and I don't want to have a sour experience with a car I've loved for so long :)

I agree with you Buffy about the grey interior as not a fan in that one. Although I had an R129 SL500 up until last year in Obsidian Black with light grey leather and it really suited it.

I also agree it needs the 19's. I think 18's suite the E55K saloon and Estate quite well but the CLS less so. I would prefer the 19's on that CLS55 that currently has the 18's. That would have been my first change. Unless you can find some mint 19's with mint tyres your into £1.5-£2k for 19's with new tyres. Yes you can sell the old 18's but not for much. Unless you keep them for winters.

Much more cost effective to get the CLS already on the 19's if you can but I'd the Blue one was priced accordingly it could work. Also agree the HK is much better than stock and the seats are a nice to have but not essential for me.

Trouble is combined the Blue one has 18's, non HK, standard seats so is a compromise too far unless the price is right. In its favour it is a nice colour outside but I'm still not 100% sold on the interior. It is nice but too many colours going on for me with black, cream and brown wood. Maybe piano black wood cappings would have been better.

Doesn't look as though the seller wants to move much on price though as.turned down my £10k offer before Xmas. I'd suggest the market has got worse/weaker even since then not better.

Ah, thanks for explaining where the extra speakers are :) I'd see how I got on with the non-HK setup if I bought a car without, in the M3 I spend a lot of time listening to the exhaust and the supercharger instead of the radio :D

And I'm 99% set on a CLS55 for sure - I can't not buy a supercharged V8 at this price point when presented with the opportunity!

Yes... that's why I wasn't so cut up I never got HK in the E55! :)

I spent most of the time in either a gear slightly too tall for the hill I was on to make the car work a bit harder, or with all the windows down etc. so I could hear the exhaust!

No... and you're only human! :devil:

They are great cars and great value especially for what they are selling for now.

Standard seats might not have the massage function but they are comfy in an AMG and I am quite seat-fussy. I'd get one with Nappa though.

I agree with you Buffy about the grey interior as not a fan in that one. Although I had an R129 SL500 up until last year in Obsidian Black with light grey leather and it really suited it.

I also agree it needs the 19's. I think 18's suite the E55K saloon and Estate quite well but the CLS less so. I would prefer the 19's on that CLS55 that currently has the 18's. That would have been my first change. Unless you can find some mint 19's with mint tyres your into £1.5-£2k for 19's with new tyres. Yes you can sell the old 18's but not for much. Unless you keep them for winters.

Much more cost effective to get the CLS already on the 19's if you can but I'd the Blue one was priced accordingly it could work. Also agree the HK is much better than stock and the seats are a nice to have but not essential for me.

Trouble is combined the Blue one has 18's, non HK, standard seats so is a compromise too far unless the price is right. In its favour it is a nice colour outside but I'm still not 100% sold on the interior. It is nice but too many colours going on for me with black, cream and brown wood. Maybe piano black wood cappings would have been better.

Doesn't look as though the seller wants to move much on price though as.turned down my £10k offer before Xmas. I'd suggest the market has got worse/weaker even since then not better.

Absolutely, I think 19s hit the sweet spot on the CLS. 20s can look killer, but if I bought a car on the 19s I would absolutely leave them because I think they suit the car so perfectly. And yes, I could absolutely use the 18s for winter, that's already crossed my mind :)

And yes, I personally like the colour combo and I don't mind the wood too much, but for me it has to be the right combo of price/spec/mileage/condition and I don't want to compromise, I want to buy the right car for me that I will absolutely love :)

Yes... that's why I wasn't so cut up I never got HK in the E55! :)

I spent most of the time in either a gear slightly too tall for the hill I was on to make the car work a bit harder, or with all the windows down etc. so I could hear the exhaust!

No... and you're only human! :devil:

They are great cars and great value especially for what they are selling for now.

Standard seats might not have the massage function but they are comfy in an AMG and I am quite seat-fussy. I'd get one with Nappa though.

I said that but I have bought a speaker upgrade for the M3, but only because it's a plug-and-play setup someone was selling cheap and I couldn't turn it down, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered :)

I think it's a case of not wanting to miss out - I might never use the dynamic or massage functions, but it would be nice for them to be there :D

I said that but I have bought a speaker upgrade for the M3, but only because it's a plug-and-play setup someone was selling cheap and I couldn't turn it down, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered :)

I think it's a case of not wanting to miss out - I might never use the dynamic or massage functions, but it would be nice for them to be there :D

Fair enough. There is an element of resale too in so far as potential buyers may also look for those options.

I have massage seats in my current steed but when you don't have a proper AMG, you need stuff like that to make up for it! :D

Buffy, I really wouldn't worry about the spec on the car unless it is a deal breaker and an absolute must have that you want. The only things I use on my cars are cruise control ( I'll set it at a certain speed for certain low mph limit roads - speed cams, etc) and heated seats ( A must have if you're 40+ and have a knackered back). I can't remember the last time I used some of the other gadgets in any of them I own. Most of the time I'll have the windows down listening to the V8 sound track.

In fact I can't even remember when I used the steering wheel paddles or the left to right (or up to down - I get confused going from one car to another) for gear shifting it manually. They're not an M5/6 either. I loved some of my BM's and I do think they handle better than Mercs, but the sound track from a V8 with a blower is music to any petrol heads ears.

Buffy, I really wouldn't worry about the spec on the car unless it is a deal breaker and an absolute must have that you want. The only things I use on my cars are cruise control ( I'll set it at a certain speed for certain low mph limit roads - speed cams, etc) and heated seats ( A must have if you're 40+ and have a knackered back). I can't remember the last time I used some of the other gadgets in any of them I own. Most of the time I'll have the windows down listening to the V8 sound track.

In fact I can't even remember when I used the steering wheel paddles or the left to right (or up to down - I get confused going from one car to another) for gear shifting it manually. They're not an M5/6 either. I loved some of my BM's and I do think they handle better than Mercs, but the sound track from a V8 with a blower is music to any petrol heads ears.

I mean you do make a good point :) I'll probably be enjoying the engine too much to be thinking about all the options I'm not using, lol. It just has to be the rigth car for me :)

Reactions: Nat
I know what you mean and do agree. Often when I have made a compromise too many on a car then I've never been 100% happy with it for all the time I've had it. If you will keep it a while it makes sense to get exactly what you want.

CLS 55 would always be my choice! I think the spec you mentioned in previous posts is spot on too! Good luck in finding yours!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom