Buying MB for my father but which one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doosam

Car
vw passat
Hi :)

Last time I bought a car....I bought it first and then found a forum.
Therefore this time will try it the other way round.

I am helping my father buy a mercedes benz but I would greatly appreciate your help in finding the right one and what to look out for.

Budget – 20k
Choices C220 , E220 or E250
Mileage – less then 40000
Spec – elegance/avant-garde/sport , I think these all come with leather seats

I like the look of the C220 Sport but not sure my father would appreciate the ride quality with sports suspension. The roads of Yorkshire are not grand prix standard.

The E220 appeals as appears to have more room in the back, which could be handy when he takes my boys with him (bulky car seats).

I have added the E250 as it seems to have the power but I think this maybe above his budget.

Planning on visiting the MB garage today to test drive these out.

Appreciate any comments or advice from the wise

Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

I shop at the other end of the market so I cannot suggest a Mercedes for your father. Others will be along who can though.

I suppose more questions than answers at this stage .

What sort of use will the car get ? Covering 40K I guess it is for business ?

Mainly local roads , or a lot of motorway ?

Apart from your boys , any other special requirements ? Does he golf ( needs large boot ) , tow a caravan ( weight ? ) , prefer manual or auto ?

Is he a keen driver , or is comfort the priority ?

Performance vs economy ; petrol vs diesel ?

You probably see what I'm getting at .

double post.

Last edited:
I presumed the less than 40k miles was he wanted a car with no more than 40k already on it?

The C Class is a nice car, but you will be looking at pre facelift at that price, whih comes with a pretty poor interior imho.
From the 2011 cars it came with a much nicer interior that almost matched the E Class.

The E is definitely a step up in the way of comfort and refinement, but not as nimble.

Much more room in the E class too.

I think he really has got to try both as they are very different from each other.

If you can stretch/find a facelift C-Class then I would seriously consider it, if it were pre facelift c vs e it would be E every time for me.

Pontoneer said:
I suppose more questions than answers at this stage .

What sort of use will the car get ? Covering 40K I guess it is for business ?

Mainly local roads , or a lot of motorway ?

Apart from your boys , any other special requirements ? Does he golf ( needs large boot ) , tow a caravan ( weight ? ) , prefer manual or auto ?

Is he a keen driver , or is comfort the priority ?

Performance vs economy ; petrol vs diesel ?

You probably see what I'm getting at .

sorry if I wasn't clear but I meant the car would have less than 40,000 miles on it to buy.

Mainly local roads, comfort priority , diesel

gIzzE said:
I presumed the less than 40k miles was he wanted a car with no more than 40k already on it?

The C Class is a nice car, but you will be looking at pre facelift at that price, whih comes with a pretty poor interior imho.
From the 2011 cars it came with a much nicer interior that almost matched the E Class.

The E is definitely a step up in the way of comfort and refinement, but not as nimble.

Much more room in the E class too.

I think he really has got to try both as they are very different from each other.

If you can stretch/find a facelift C-Class then I would seriously consider it, if it were pre facelift c vs e it would be E every time for me.

Yes I think I have to agree, will check the autotrader to see if I can find facelift C . I don't think the 20k budget will get me a nice E.
possibly consider stretching the budget to 25k

Decided on the E250

I have come across two ...the first with 8000 miles with 5speed gearbox and the other 21000 with 7speed

Both priced at 23000

I assume the 7speed will be better for resale although the plan is keeping long term.

The 5speed seems tried and tested. Looking at the forum (7speed) some have mentioned it rolls back on hills and slight surge in power when coming to stop.

So not sure now

Both 2011

Last edited:
I'd be looking at the E250 with 7sp Auto.

Will also be the most desirable come resale time not matter how far in the future that is.

Decided on the E250

I have come across two ...the first with 8000 miles with 5speed gearbox and the other 21000 with 7speed

Both priced at 23000

I assume the 7speed will be better for resale although the plan is keeping long term.

The 5speed seems tried and tested. Looking at the forum (7speed) some have mentioned it rolls back on hills and slight surge in power when coming to stop.

So not sure now

Both 2011

The 7 speed is the new 7g+, the mpg difference is massive!!!!

You will see mid 30's from the 5g and 40+ all day long on the 7g.

On a run it will be 40mpg vs 50mpg.

I agree with others that the E class is by far the best choice. And the 250cdi is a fabulous engine. Almost 3 litre performance but with amazing economy.

But avoid the Sport if comfort is a priority. The Sport has a hard rather jiggly ride on poor UK roads, and the 18 inch wheels with low profile tyres kick up a dreadful din at cruising speeds. And the seats are not covered in leather which you say you want. Avantgarde is probably the spec closest to your needs with 17 inch wheels standard and leather seats and bi-Xenon lights and all the important kit. (COMAND and memory seats with 4 way lumbar support are extras if you happen to want them). Some like me find the AvantGarde seats a lot more comfortable than the Sport seats. Try both, see what you like, is the best tip.

Last edited:
An E250 CDI Avantgarde Auto would be your best bet, as mentioned above.

5 speed auto I have heard to be more reliable than a 7g, but then again yes come re-sale time, the 7g will be better and it isn't as if the 5 speed has never had a problem before!

Avantgarde - Softer ride, Full Leather, Bi-xenon lights etc. (as mentioned above)

The Sport does have a harder ride, but then it would seeing as it is called, Sport.

Good Luck, hope you find a nice one ;)

ZEE

After a few hours at mb garage , left deposit

e250 sport black 2011 7g box 21,000 miles with sat nav

It was priced up at £23,290

Also had a test drive in avantgarde but to be honest couldn't really feel the difference in ride quality . Although I have to admit the front seats were more comfortable. (Important note - my brother is paying for the car and he liked the look of the sport :) )

We were hoping to negotiate the price down but salesman advised that it had been priced up incorrectly as 5 speed. We thought he was telling the truth as we had been in contact with two other dealerships during the day and they couldn't match the price.

Managed to get the following...12 months tax (£120) and full tank of fuel . Part exchanged our knackered old merc for £1200 (probably only worth £1500)

Also got the star guard for £225. Although not sure about this but sounds good.

Total £22,315

Downside - on test drive, noticed a slight vibration on slowing down from high speed. Sales guy assured us this would be rectified before we collect. Therefore we put in condition if it's not resolved within 7 days, refund of deposit.

Last edited:
Been reading up on star guard ....doesn't seem popular with members. Therefore might give it a miss

Been reading up on star guard ....doesn't seem popular with members. Therefore might give it a miss

I agree..
I had it "thrust upon me" twice.. Its very expensive for what it is and when I sold / part exxed one of the vehicles the dealer was dismissive that I had the star guard done...
I wouldnt bother with it next time round..

sspeed said:
I agree..
I had it "thrust upon me" twice.. Its very expensive for what it is and when I sold / part exxed one of the vehicles the dealer was dismissive that I had the star guard done...
I wouldnt bother with it next time round..

Correct, decent clay bar and wax will do the same job for an hour of your time. Rain ex for the screen too.

Forget Star Guard. Complete crap.

Well, alright if the car is completely prepped properly first.
By that as Steve says, it needs claying and polishing properly so it is like a mirror, and then needs to be applied, I can guarantee the dealership will not do this.

I would pay them not to apply it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom