C class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Barryh

Car
slk350 with airscarf plus E280CDI Sport Est
Some advice needed as E class lease expires in Dec.

Took a C class 220cdi Sport out this week on test.It performed well in acceleration,Fierce brakes good quality cabin but It had done 3.5K and trip read avg 33MPG.That to me seems poor for this car.Thats my average from E280 sport.
BMW engines seem more frugal.A 530D sport with Auto looks as though it will give 40+and a 330 will do 44+.

Has anyone got new C class with mix of driving to give a better picture.I also read on a thread from July about new twin turbo engines coming.Anything happened yet?
Not sure if I want to leave a 6cyl for 4 cyl but if fuel economy & performance is good I could be tempted.

Some advice needed as E class lease expires in Dec.

Took a C class 220cdi Sport out this week on test.It performed well in acceleration,Fierce brakes good quality cabin but It had done 3.5K and trip read avg 33MPG.That to me seems poor for this car.Thats my average from E280 sport.
BMW engines seem more frugal.A 530D sport with Auto looks as though it will give 40+and a 330 will do 44+.

Has anyone got new C class with mix of driving to give a better picture.I also read on a thread from July about new twin turbo engines coming.Anything happened yet?
Not sure if I want to leave a 6cyl for 4 cyl but if fuel economy & performance is good I could be tempted.

Seemed to be a lot new C-class around in Glasgow when I was there last weekend. Fashionable trend I guessed.

Depend whether you want luxury interior or a fast runner.

Was thinking of the slk 1.8l producing just 184g/k. There definitely no power in comparison of my 2l producing 236g/k. :confused:

They take some time to loosen up a bit and 3.5k miles is still very young.

To me the W204 is a perfect car, well made, fast, safe, etc. Would a 320cdi W204 be a better bet for you as they have the extra cylinders. There are a few 204 owners on here, but I think 33mpg is a tad lower than what they'd say. My car with the less powerful & frugal 220cdi engine returns much more, a ligher car like a C class would be very good on fuel.

BMW engines are more advanced and probably more frugal, but its only one aspect of the car. They aren't as reliable and on various forums (when I had a BMW) turbo failure and autobox failure are big issues, it isn't the case with MB, its body work, but as they are now galvanised they are very solid cars.

A BMW 5 series only has 4* NCAP which is poor for a car of a) that price b) segment c) age of design.

My average over the first 3200 miles reads 36.6mpg, with no motorway driving, just A, B, and single track roads. It is a smooth quiet economical engine and gearbox combination and i'm really glad I chose it over the 220 with 5 speed auto.

I also think the Elegance with bonnet mounted star makes the car look like a real Mercedes saloon, but that is of course a personal choice.;)

Since delivery, my average is about 38 mpg. 19.5K on clock.

At 60 I have seen 50.3

At 70 approx 46

At 80, approx 42-43.

Not bad. Did over 300 mls today, avg 41. M, A & B roads.

Mostly town driving gives 30mpg in my C320CDI. Using Shell V-Power gives 33 mpg on the same use.

I would say that 220CDI consumption is poor, and the car may have been poorly driven. What was the average speed for the consumption?

The forthcoming twin-turbo 4-cylinder diesel does offer fantastic economy, but it's still only a 4-cylinder, and with even more electronics to go wrong?

Sounds very poor for a C220, as with others my experience of the C320 is closer to the figures you have quoted.

My average since the car was delivered is 31.2 over 2K miles.
However I do a lot of short in town driving during the week which hits the average while sitting in slow moving traffic. Once on the move at a steady pace I struggle to get less tha 31-32 on and on a longer run have see 36-39 depending on the mix of roads and traffic conditions (combination of M A & B roads).

These figures should improve as the engine and gearbox losen up further.
The new C Class is an excellent car though ans definatley worth consideration whichever engine you opt for

If it's a demo all the miles could have been done by people driving like they stole it.

I have done quite a few miles in a BMW 530d which averaged 24mpg. They were hard miles. :devil: ;)

At 60 I have seen 50.3

At 70 approx 46

At 80, approx 42-43.

I have a Garmin 300T sat nav since June this year. Been to London on Saturday and shocked to look at the trip statistics. How does it know I got 32.4mpg on average ? Another sat nav guesses no wonder ended a lot of journeys in the middle of a field or a railway line. :eek:

At 60 I have seen 50.3

At 70 approx 46

At 80, approx 42-43.

What the VED on April 2009/10? :eek:

I have done quite a few miles in a BMW 530d which averaged 24mpg. They were hard miles. :devil: ;)

Is that a work car? It would be interesting to hear your views on it, and its high speed ability. have you driven an E class to compare it with.

It was £205 and yes, I am sure. V5 tells me that anyway....

+ I have factory fitted Sportpack that includes 17" wheels, std is 16". This would make the difference.

You are lucky to escape the heavy VED next year for a 3.2l engine. :D

How much is it anyway?

I am hoping to get that E55 soon I have been trying to find......

Well thats top band, but hey, at least you'll be well over so at least your getting value for you £400odd.

Thats what I'd love to do, if your in a top band VED, you might as well go for the most polluting car you can buy to get value for your VED :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom