C180 Coupe Malfunctions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidoff

Car
C180 PanEvo Kom coupe
Hi Guys and Galls...

I have just bought into the Merc way of life, you know, luxury trouble free motoring and all that ! Well the former is right but trouble free poppycock!!

I have a 2002 C180 3dr Coupe. My trouble is that the EPS and BAS warnings keep coming on, not all the time, and only when the car is started not when driving along. On the weekend it happend a few times, and after cancelling the malfunction on one occassion i opend the drivers door to talk to a friend when i shut the door the BAS warning lit up again. Shut the door too hard i here you say !, so did i, so i did it again, and again, then just pushed the dam button in with my finger and the warning still came on.

I did take it to S G Mercedes in Newport a few weeks ago for the same fault, they said it was a loose conection on the ABS unit and shouldn't happen again... But it has again and again.

Please, anyone have any ideas so i can tell them how to fix it!

And another question, do you think that it could be software or computer related, because my gearbox seams to like to get into top gear very quickly leaving the engine to struggle at low revs.

Are there any other exciting things to go wrong or look out for???

Any help would be most appreciated...address to send the valium to follow.

Thank you all..

Davidoff said:
And another question, do you think that it could be software or computer related, because my gearbox seams to like to get into top gear very quickly leaving the engine to struggle at low revs.

Hi mate - your gearbox isnt in winter mode is it? Just a thought....

the bas /abs error is normally caused by a faulty brake pedal switch or a brake controller .

To clear the malfunction , when stationary , move the steering wheel into opposite locks. This should properly clear the bas error

In addition to the above I think the BAS also requires a system voltage over 10.5V if the battery dips below this then the ECU turns off the BAS system... If memory serves me correctly.

S.

I have checked, the gearbox is in the S mode.

brake light switch or connections on the switch they donot build them like the old 190s do they
check the fuse any voltage drop causes light to come on

Well the dealer had look on friday my A/C Off switch is finally being changed after telling them it didn't work, they said it did, i said it didn't etc etc...
As for the warning lights, they said that everything was checked and in working order !
So i guess i must prepare mysalf for another visit if the warnings appear again.
But i'm still convinced it has something to do with what is controlling the electronics all over the car.

Did you purchase the car from a Mercedes-Benz Dealer? Even if the answer is no, it should still be under warranty, providing the servicing is up to date.

The Star Diagnostic equipment should register every fault that your vehicle has, and how often the fault has occured???????

What did the dealer say when they examined your car??? They certainly do not sound very efficient.

Good luck,
John

I had a similar problem on my 2002 sports coupe only a few weeks after i bought it. Greanoakes in Slough told me it was a known problem with a wiring loom. The loom was changed under warrenty and i haven't had a problem since.

Christian

Just an update, from previous posts http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=6238 ,
went for a B server last week and asked the dealer to look into the problem ESP/BAS problem. They did mention something about wiring and has fixed them under warranty. So far no problem and finger crossed.
Hope this help.

Ps: thanks to everyone who replied in previous posts.

Eric

Thanks Christian...i was very interested to here your coments about your faulty wiring loom, do you know which part of the wiring loom was replaced? i would like to go in armed with some detail of what you had replaced.
Have you had any problem with your auotbox if you have one??????

Hi eric...

Do you know what the dealer did to fix your wiring problem?

David,
Sorry, I've no clue coz they didn't show me the repair note. They just verbally told me it was something to do with the wiring and submited the warranty claim to DC.

Eric

fuzzer said:
the bas /abs error is normally caused by a faulty brake pedal switch or a brake controller .

Agree, and this is a well know fault,
'surely' a dealer worth a tiny bit of salt, would know this :crazy:

Thanks to all that took the time to reply. I know have a good ideas abotu what is the cause of my problems and can now go into the dealer if it happends again armed with something.

I would still be interested in problems with the gear change on the autobox.

Many thanks

Dave

I had the same. Well known fault, something to do with electrics. Dealer fixed it under warranty and has been OK since.

Davidoff said:
Thanks to all that took the time to reply. I know have a good ideas abotu what is the cause of my problems and can now go into the dealer if it happends again armed with something.

I would still be interested in problems with the gear change on the autobox.

Many thanks

Dave

i know what you mean about the gearbox - it is almost if it is trying to be "too" efficient by changing to the highest gear, but obviously the car cannot predict how steep/long the hill is - coming from a 6cyl to the 200 Kompressor I've had to learn to drive the car differently, that means sometimes choosing the gears for the car rather than the other way around. :rolleyes:

All in all it is a very good auto, and if you feel the car is being too efficient - engage warp speed!!! :rock:

Dave

Sorry for the delay but i haven't been online for a bit.

Unfortunately i don't have the part number they changed. As i wasn't paying for it i didn't look to closely at the piece of paper / invoice they handed over.

I do have an auto box and haven't had any problems with it. Have you tried doing a reset to sort out the problem? i'm not sure exactly what it is you do but if you search through the board you'll find a sequence of movements / buttons to press on the gear selector which will reset the box.

Christian

Thanks Christian i would like to try the reset as you suggested, thats if i can find the info in the board !!

Hi David, I know how your feeling. I just got rid of my old c180 sports coupe because every 3 to 4 weeks it was going back to the garage to get another electrical fault repaired or something close to it. First of all I had problems with my car phone kit that was installed at the factory. Then it was the same fault as your having with the EPS & BAS. I got the upgraded sound system when I bought the car & one day my girlfriend slammed the car door & the tiny speakers beside the window fell off. They were'nt put on properly. My bi xenon light on the right hand side of the car would not operate at all. Last but not least the sunroof, it would'nt close & when it was closed it made a really annoying sound. I'm sorry to say but it was a nightmare, I had to get rid of it. Since I've recieved the new facelift c sports coupe 4 weeks ago it's been a dream, what a difference. Sorry im going on a bit, back to your fault. They finally said that the bas /abs error is normally caused by a faulty brake pedal switch or a brake controller as fuzzer commented on earlier. It took me 3 merc garages to find that out. I hope you get everything sorted & i hope I didnt put you off too much by telling you about the problems i've had. Good luck

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom